• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the M422-G1 designed to be worn over?

Hello - Can anyone provide an overview or point me to some reliable reference documentation that describes what uniform items were designated to be worn under the G-1 flying jacket family? Additional bonus information would include an explanation of the criteria used to determine when the "Intermediate" G1 jacket would or should be worn vs a lighter/heavier spec of clothing. Thanks in advance for any info provided!

Falcon_52

This excerpt is from the current U.S. Navy regulations but I can't imagine this has changed that much over time (maybe I'm wrong).

From My Navy HR:

" (2) Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, aerospace experimental psychologists, and aerospace physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted air crewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Uniform (SU), and Navy Blue Coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy Blue Coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in OPNAVINST 10126.4 series."

I hope this helps!

Noel

Chandler

This excerpt is from the current U.S. Navy regulations but I can't imagine this has changed that much over time (maybe I'm wrong).

From My Navy HR:

" (2) Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, aerospace experimental psychologists, and aerospace physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted air crewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Uniform (SU), and Navy Blue Coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy Blue Coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in OPNAVINST 10126.4 series."

I hope this helps!

Noel
What? No vintage tees? :D

ButteMT61

Just curious if the windflap may have been partly intended as a guide as to where the jacket should be zipped up to, as I've always wondered why it stops where it does?
Interesting ask! I would think, based on many vintage pics, that you may be right sir!

tda003

As a note, in combat conditions, the regs on waering a G-1 were pretty relaxed in my time, especially in rotory wing outfits.