• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what tape?

Tim P

I am thinking of augmenting my superb Buzz Rickson L2 jacket with a simple name tape. The question is, which type would be best. Part of me thinks that a nice ww2 type plain strip in tan leather with impressed name would suggest the early nature of the L2 and would be unobtrusive. However a gold on brown strip may be in the running. Any other suggestions are open for consideration along with your rationale.
Discuss..... ;)

a2jacketpatches

I've seen a lot with one inch wide white cotton tape with 1/2 inch simple black stencil. I've got the white tape and in search of the correct font / fonts, there's been a few and the cotton tape tags date way back as well.

watchmanjimg

With the L-2 you can certainly go either way. I have a quantity of original 1" white tape and a custom stencil, albeit in the later Vietnam-era font. The issue I've encountered is instability of the ink on the white tape. It tends to blur easily, so I have yet to sew one on a garment. I've had good success making the green tapes.

A gold-on-brown leather strip is a classic look that you'll never have to worry about once sewn to the jacket, and it's period correct for the original design.

Rutger

If I were you, I'd check ooses's website (I can't remember its name but he's got it linked in each of his postings), though his might be more L-2B oriented.
I think the white tape is more period ususal on the L2B, B-15D versions and MA1, and even there still doesn't look nice to me.
The brown with gold name tag does fit in with the colours of the L2 big time, next to the brown leather mic tab, just as the black with silver looks excellent on the L2B, MA1, B-15D.
I feel the old style natural leather strip with name only would be too thick for the very light weight L2, rather than the comparatively heavy A2.
Maybe the natural leather tag with impressed name and wings like a2jacketpatches is selling? Not sure, but I'd still prefer the gold on brown leather.

My opinions, my rationale.

Tim P

I think gold on thin brown is a prudent choice. Easier to machine on and less ww2 like. Plain name no wings.