• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What shirt are you wearing today?

entertainment

I like this one from the Tanaka book:

IMG_6434.jpg

ausreenactor

Never suspected Hawaiian shirts would be such a thing with VLJ members.
Found this recently in a vintage clothing store. Based on the label, I think it was made in the 1970s. Definitely MIH (Made in Hawaii).

View attachment 80135

Apologies for the harsh light. Gloomy day and had to supplement with halogen.
Have a shitt Dad scored in Honolulu in the early 60s, a USMC themed Hawaiian shirt and one I purchased in San Diego... Bombers mostly.

stanier

A pal of mine who collected Hawaiian shirts told me that almost none of the modern 'vintage looks' shirt designs are from the pre-war era, as before WW2, the shirts were far more muted in design and color as they were in the 50s and 60s. These ones you linked all appears to be either postwar or fantasy designs.
When they made the shirts for the truly awful "Pearl Harbor" movie, the costume folks had to make them from scratch because nobody was making prewar designs.
Even when I was in Hawaii last time, I never found anyone making true prewar designs, which really surprised me. Each store I went to, they all said, "We'd love to sell that, but nobody makes what you're asking for."

I'm sorry but it maybe your pal is wrong. I've had a range of Sun Surf shirts over the years and they cover a range decades though mainly 30's - 50's and many, if not all, are reproductions of original designs, particularly the special editions.

A good article about early shirts and a few sample patterns is here

And there are many pics around of orginal period photo's of 1930s and 1940s era shirts being worn that it would be difficult to accurately describe as muted. The Sun Surf catalogue is a great place to start. If I had more time now I'd post some examples.

Another cool brand is Hula Keiki https://manjapan.me/hula-keiki/

Cheers all

Chris

johnwayne

The shirt I’d like to be wearing today!
Always liked bowlers and Hawaiians and moreso vintage types in the floppy cotton/ rayon materials. This one is from a Tommy Hilfiger Vintage book, All American. Levi Vintage did something akin a few years ago but didnt quite pull it off!
7106B2E8-4C18-41A5-9C44-35EB3EB76E91.jpeg