• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What shirt are you wearing today?

flyincowboy

Too warm to wear a jacket today ; ALOHA SHIRT SKULL and ROSES linen pants officer boots and my trustee ray ban Olympian feel like in summer!

20220621_135307445.jpg

Smithy

Good man!

I was wearing an Hawaiian shirt today too, I shit you not.

It's got toucans on it and the jury is out on whether my wife likes it, but I like it which is the main thing ;)

Pa12

Toucans??? That’s a very popular shirt down here. Mostly worn by Jimmy Buffet fans known as “ Parrot Heads”. :)
Never thought I would ever own a Hawaiian shirt, but, went to my nieces wedding in Hawaii in 09 and that was the dress code for the wedding.

flyincowboy

Back from work as promised new pic: camo short and batic shirt from Bali Corcoran usaf hot weather boots. we had a lot of humidity in the air... Another big storm and a lot of rain last night... feel like tropical weather..

20220622_132253884.jpg

MauldinFan

20220622_105330.jpg

Any Willys Jeep owner* should have one of these.

*I have a 1944 MB, which should be running soon after I was slack for not firing it up hardly at all, during the pandemic...

entertainment

Does anyone know of a vendor which makes 1930s repro Hawaiian shirts?
I'd love to have something maybe someone watching the Pearl Harbor attack might be wearing at the time...
All I can think of is Sun Surf, but the prices are nuts. I think they are part of Toyo Enterprises along with Buzz Rickson, etc.

MauldinFan

All I can think of is Sun Surf, but the prices are nuts. I think they are part of Toyo Enterprises along with Buzz Rickson, etc.
A pal of mine who collected Hawaiian shirts told me that almost none of the modern 'vintage looks' shirt designs are from the pre-war era, as before WW2, the shirts were far more muted in design and color as they were in the 50s and 60s. These ones you linked all appears to be either postwar or fantasy designs.
When they made the shirts for the truly awful "Pearl Harbor" movie, the costume folks had to make them from scratch because nobody was making prewar designs.
Even when I was in Hawaii last time, I never found anyone making true prewar designs, which really surprised me. Each store I went to, they all said, "We'd love to sell that, but nobody makes what you're asking for."

entertainment

A pal of mine who collected Hawaiian shirts told me that almost none of the modern 'vintage looks' shirt designs are from the pre-war era, as before WW2, the shirts were far more muted in design and color as they were in the 50s and 60s. These ones you linked all appears to be either postwar or fantasy designs.
When they made the shirts for the truly awful "Pearl Harbor" movie, the costume folks had to make them from scratch because nobody was making prewar designs.
Even when I was in Hawaii last time, I never found anyone making true prewar designs, which really surprised me. Each store I went to, they all said, "We'd love to sell that, but nobody makes what you're asking for."
I checked out my copy of My Freedamn Seven: Vintage Beach Fashions. Although there are hundreds of shirts shown, only a handful are from the 1930s. But I see what you mean about the more subtle colors.

Sounds like a business opportunity! Perhaps someone will become the JC of Hawaiian shirts.