• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What made you choose your contract and/or make A-2 repro?

C.J.

I just sat and tallied up what I've spent on repros thus far and I'm in for more than I thought. I'm in the hole for about $3500 so far and I still, not only want an Irvin, but have yet to find the A-2 I want to keep.

The styles, contracts, colors, pockets, collars, etc. etc are dizzying. So are the different makers, their level of authenticity vs. how much of it I really need and overall product. I've narrowed it down to an Aero, Rough wear or Dubow, Dubow being a distant third here.

What about you guys? Any reason for the ones you have other than chance?

Jason

Yes, I have gone after some specific contract repros...
GW Perry - soon to arrive here! The Perry is my favourite pattern for several reasons, the small, rounded-point collar really appeals to me, it has stud snaps which I think are a little more classy than the ring snaps, the sleeves taper nicely and don't look 'billowing' at the ends, and the overall pattern seems to suit my body shape quite well.
RMCNZ Rough Wear in goatskin: The Rough Wear pattern is probably my second favourite pattern, though I can't put a tangible reason to it as to why... the RW pattern seems to be one of those patterns where it either works for some, but for others it just doesn't seem right. That's just my opinion there BTW. What appealed to me about this particular repro is that it is done in a nice caramel colored goatskin, plus I have a soft spot for anything from the land of the long white cloud.
Aero Real Deal, seal horsehide with beacon rust knits: love this colour combination! That was the reason I bought one, but over time it hasn't become the only reason to keep it... the fit on me seems to work really really well, the leather aroma is the best of any I've had so far, and though it might not be the most intrinsically accurate, on its own merits it's a wonderful, well constructed, comfortable and practical jacket - the one I reach for more often in the mornings as I go off to work (I suspect it'll be knocked off its perch once the GW Perry arrives in my hot little hands).

If I had to pick my next contract, looking into the future, I'd pick a Good Wear no-name 27753 in Johns wonderful goatskin - in fact that was going to be my choice until I heard a whisper that John was going to have a go at the Perry...

RudyN

I know that the Perry on John's site looks great. I am just about getting ready to order one in Russet Horsehide. Just have to make a couple of measurements on the coat that fits me well.

bseal

Jason said:
GW Perry - soon to arrive here! The Perry is my favourite pattern for several reasons, the small, rounded-point collar really appeals to me, it has stud snaps which I think are a little more classy than the ring snaps, the sleeves taper nicely and don't look 'billowing' at the ends, and the overall pattern seems to suit my body shape quite well. . .

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Perry_04_sz42/

You lucky Tasmanian Devil!

Jason

Yes that's the one heading down-under. But lets not digress or hijack this thread... another thread will be forthcoming!

Hawkeye

Well my current Goodwear 42-18246-P was chosen out of necessity, as the price was right and it was in my size. However, my next A-2 will most likely be a Dubow, as I love the look of the pocket flaps and the sharp collar.

C.J.

I'm e-mailing back and forth with John now. I'm probably going to end up going with one of the Aero's. Maybe the 21996. This is probably the most fun part, deciding which contract and getting all the details worked out. Then the wait comes :evil: But, it's going to be sooo worth it in the end.

Andrew

Not being too experienced with a range of contracts I have come back to the one I first bought which was Dubow. I have had examples of original 27752's, Monarchs, Aeros but as they are all small sizes can't comment on the fit. The Perry John cloned is also my jacket and whilst I love it the pattern is not my favourite.

I've also tried repro Aero (Aeroleather- nice leather but wrong shape), Dubow (RMNZ, great but too heavy, not a fan of the leather or incorrect collar shape), Bronco and USL (GW prototypes), but I like all the details of the GW Dubow and the shape seems to work for me and this jacket has pretty much cured my need for any other wearable original. I've had this one 3 weeks now and already my Wife is making sneaky offside comments about possibly wearing something else just for a change...

This was taken 2 weeks in and it's developed a lot more grain and patina since then. An interesting phenomenon which i'm calling "Micro Cracking" ( :ugeek: ) is developing in areas of stress where the paint develops extremely tiny cracks and these will gradually fall off the reveal the lighter leather below...
RIMG0001-Copy.jpg

RudyN

I just sent an e-mail to John on when is the best time to contact him so I can order myself a Perry. :D

C.J.

RudyN said:
I just sent an e-mail to John on when is the best time to contact him so I can order myself a Perry. :D

Don't be e-mailing him too much! Wait til we get my order worked out :lol:

RudyN

C.J. said:
RudyN said:

Don't be e-mailing him too much! Wait til we get my order worked out :lol:

I will try to hold off a bit, but his stuff is to nice to wait to much! :D

zoomer

When an Eastman Rough Wear 1401 came up on eBay, I went for it because I consider the 1401 the most archetypical A-2 design, and because ELC has (or if you prefer, had) a good rep for quality and accuracy.

More recently, I bid on and won an Eastman Werber 1729. I wanted one because I am very drawn to the interwar period and because it is a kind of prototype, unrefined version of the more famous A-2 from later on.

I picked my Good Wear United Sheeplined because of the good word about John's craftsmanship, and because I liked the character and grain of the Bonanza steerhide. On neither count did it disappoint.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It's the Dubow for me.

I've told the story before .... off to Real McCoy to buy a Rough Wear, thinking I liked the collar stand, and the name.

After more than two hours, there was no way that RW collar was going to sit right on me, no matter how many I tried.

The Dubows, with the narrow shoulders, just fitted well, and the collars sat right. No size 42's, of course, but after a long wait ......

Geir

What made me choose which contract? That's simple: I found a 15142 on Aero's sale items page in smooth russet HH at a good price, so I bought it. It turned out to fit well even on a middle aged bloke like myself, so when another 15142 turned up, this time in seal brown goatskin with red silk lining, I bought that one as well.

MikeyB-17

I bought my ELC House A-2 in '97-the Rough Wears had only just appeared then, and I didn't know any better so I didn't bother spending the extra. The Aero 42-15142-P I had was a sale page bargain. I've never yet made a choice as to which contract I'd like to own, although I imagine it would most likely be a Roughwear because of the McQueen connection, but if I finally get round to ordering from John it will be a long, drawn-out decision process.