• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

YoungMedic

Was nippy today. Here's what kept the chill at bay for Smithy...

ELC Irvin, MASH A-10s, silk scarf, and roughouts with innersoles.

EB9LBLZ.jpg
Great looking kit! Do you have a link for the scarf?

Smithy

John Luder

Here you go. These are the closest to WWII silk scarves used in the RAF. The heft of the silk is right (it's heavy like WWII silk) and they have the wool backing which most had back in the day. Not cheap but worth it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soprano-Navy-White-Polka-Backing/dp/B00N9YX2XQ/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2ERQM1GBFOGR3&keywords=soprano+silk+scarfs&qid=1675383049&sprefix=Soprano+scarf,aps,495&sr=8-11
It's a beauty, but shipping to the US these days is one right cock-up. Still waiting for a USAAF name strip that was mailed on 11 January.

YoungMedic

JonnyCrow

Here you go. These are the closest to WWII silk scarves used in the RAF. The heft of the silk is right (it's heavy like WWII silk) and they have the wool backing which most had back in the day. Not cheap but worth it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soprano-Navy-White-Polka-Backing/dp/B00N9YX2XQ/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2ERQM1GBFOGR3&keywords=soprano+silk+scarfs&qid=1675383049&sprefix=Soprano+scarf,aps,495&sr=8-11
Cracking Smithy, I love the look of those old silk scarves :) now where have you parked that matchless to go with the kit? haha

newagegeezer

a few days ago I read a request for replacement zips source in this forum. I've recently been wearing this old jacket made up of scraps but the zip puller was lost when I bought it many decades ago, so just had a thought that someone may have a spare one (can't see anything on the web). A repro would be fine, just want to be able to zip it up without recourse to changing whole zip.....I do have a Talon cotton jacket and Conmar trouser zip (from a pair of pinks) to trade if useful to anyone. Thanks

021.JPG
023.JPG

Micawber

Steve, Sounds like an episode of Jeeves and Wooster in the countryside. A wooly version of the country squire, you are, in whose modest country estate of slate rooves (archaic English), piled stones, and several dozen rooms spread over three wings. Were you wearing a solidly somber woolen knit necktie, in your regiment's stripeage? Don't forget to say, 'it were', instead of 'it was'. Or is that too far north for you?

Heaven's, up t'north? No, I am in East Anglia very local to the old seat of the Duke of Norfolk and later where Basil Brown lived. Who was Basil Brown you might ask - think Sutton Hoo excavations and all that.

Alternatively think of the area where the 8th Air Force operated from so not really that far up country.

flyincowboy

a few days ago I read a request for replacement zips source in this forum. I've recently been wearing this old jacket made up of scraps but the zip puller was lost when I bought it many decades ago, so just had a thought that someone may have a spare one (can't see anything on the web). A repro would be fine, just want to be able to zip it up without recourse to changing whole zip.....I do have a Talon cotton jacket and Conmar trouser zip (from a pair of pinks) to trade if useful to anyone. Thanks

View attachment 95953View attachment 95955
I am in the same boat for a replacement zipper just tried the Headwind mfg site an it seems that all zipper are sold out. Will try Mash... Are there any other places were period correct zipper are avaliable?

flyincowboy

5star B3 seal brown After a couple of weeks this jacket is going to be broke, fit me so nicely and become more and more confortable.. Done a little bit of wool trimming on the wrist . They do not look so fluffy any more .And finished the collar straps like they should be.
love this jacket.
sealbrown profile (2).jpg
Fred 5starsealbrown (2).jpg

Last edited:

saucerfiend

5star b3 seal brown After a couple of weeks this jacket is going to be broke, fit me so nicelly and become more and more confortable.. Done a little bit of wool trimming on the wrist . They do not look so fluffy any more .And finished the collar straps like they should be.
love this jacket.
View attachment 95967View attachment 95965
Ends look right now! A beautiful jacket and fit.

Members online

Latest posts