• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

mulceber

What is "red rot"? I can kind of guess, but what does it look like?
It's a type of decay found in old leather. It appears most commonly in conserving old books, but leather jackets can suffer from it too. Two of the big causes for it are how the leather good is stored and how it was tanned, so either can be a cause. Google has a lot of good photos:

This one has it bad:

Nickb123

It's a type of decay found in old leather. It appears most commonly in conserving old books, but leather jackets can suffer from it too. Two of the big causes for it are how the leather good is stored and how it was tanned, so either can be a cause. Google has a lot of good photos:

This one has it bad:
Uneducated 2 cents: the 55J14s seem to be a mixed bag re red rot…the Spiewaks I’ve seen (in photos) look universally shot up.

Look at this pristine Foster 55J I once owned:
2FBD98A0-0FC9-4C80-9498-3A9FC885FAAB.jpeg

mulceber

Uneducated 2 cents: the 55J14s seem to be a mixed bag re red rot…the Spiewaks I’ve seen (in photos) look universally shot up.

Look at this pristine Foster 55J I once owned:
View attachment 87243
Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that's what happened: 2 or 3 contracts were REALLY prone to red rot (Aviator's Clothing Co, for example), while others (Pritzker, Star, maybe Foster) were solid, but the bad ones gave the whole jacket designation a bad reputation among collectors.

Last edited:

JonnyCrow

Just done a last dog walk, cold night for Madrid, liking the new vintage jacket, the Spanish made it looser like a M-A1 in the body, and no mouton lining, orange quilted means I can get stuff underneath so it's not quite a B15 slim but I like it like this
FaceApp_1669842015312.jpg

It’s 68 degrees here and just the weather for shearling :rolleyes:
Sorry about the sweat pants, but the boys are older these days and like to enjoy a little freedom now and then. ;)
(Previously posted in the reviews section today)
View attachment 87295
After a certain age Burt it's all due south haha ;) nice jacket