• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Tattoo A2

35 degrees this morning...ELC B10 weather
thumbnail (64).jpg

Dany McDonald

Heading out for a cool ride in my GW Rough Wear. This A-2 hasn't seen a lot of weather lately and the skin is taking a lot more time to develop a patina to my taste, its a shame as the leather is more prone to absorb elements than others... Anyways I love it and sorry for the high contrast and the tone on tone...

GW-RW-001.jpg

D

Pa12

Flew to Goodwood and hesitated on the Dubow but it said 12celsius so went for the GW Monarch m422. SNJ in the background.

View attachment 83703
Got caught many times in the Se5a wishing I’d worn a jacket. Finally figured out anything below 22 and I need a jacket. Was a bit of a pain as by the time I pulled the airplane out and got it ready, I was sweating. And then I had to put on a jacket and shoe horn myself into that little cockpit. Extremely claustrophobic until that fan out front was going. Nice to be back in a closed cockpit :)

Sideslip

Got caught many times in the Se5a wishing I’d worn a jacket. Finally figured out anything below 22 and I need a jacket. Was a bit of a pain as by the time I pulled the airplane out and got it ready, I was sweating. And then I had to put on a jacket and shoe horn myself into that little cockpit. Extremely claustrophobic until that fan out front was going. Nice to be back in a closed cockpit :)
While I really enjoy the Luscombe (easy to fly, but always something to learn, she gave me a little warning today on a variable wind crosswind landing), I was chatting to a Stearman pilot today and I have constant daydreams about a Stampe sV4c (ailerons on all 4 wings!). I could then justify the Irvin :)
FF9F00CC-8ABA-4A2E-B1D1-FE58B5957460.jpeg

Pa12

While I really enjoy the Luscombe (easy to fly, but always something to learn, she gave me a little warning today on a variable wind crosswind landing), I was chatting to a Stearman pilot today and I have constant daydreams about a Stampe sV4c (ailerons on all 4 wings!). I could then justify the Irvin :)
View attachment 83709
Nice. There was one for sale on barnstormers but with a big Lycoming. From what I’ve heard, they’re a much better airplane then the tiger moth. Had an opportunity to fly a tiger this summer and have to agree with what my dad said all his life about them. Bit of a dog. And the novelty of maintaining that old Gypsy engine would wear off pretty fast with me.

Pa12

The Gypsy moth was actually a much better airplane then the tiger. The airforce wouldn’t go for them because it would be too difficult for the instructor to bail out. So dehavilland kept modifying it until it turned into the tiger.

Pa12

The Gypsy moth was actually a much better airplane then the tiger. The airforce wouldn’t go for them because it would be too difficult for the instructor to bail out. So dehavilland kept modifying it until it turned into the tiger.
Here’s an example of the Gypsy engine. This happened two weeks ago to another buddies tiger moth. That’s a hole in the crankcase from throwing a connecting rod. Luckily he was close enough to the field to make it. Dead sticking biplanes is no small feat. When that fan stops they come down like a stone.
2260B1BE-50BD-4BD9-9B71-0ED73D048487.jpeg

Pa12

They definitely have the cool nostalgia factor. But you might be disappointed in the performance. Take off 65, cruise 75, landing 65. But all the faults make for a good basic trainer. With 139 hp you’ll never power yourself out of trouble. And with such a small speed envelope you have to be on your game. Especially if the engine quits. The guys must have been blown away when they moved up to the Harvard next.

leper-colony

Here’s an example of the Gypsy engine. This happened two weeks ago to another buddies tiger moth. That’s a hole in the crankcase from throwing a connecting rod. Luckily he was close enough to the field to make it. Dead sticking biplanes is no small feat. When that fan stops they come down like a stone.View attachment 83710
An ex navy pilot had and emergency landing ferrying a questionable TBM. He made a video with the name, "That bean field's mine!".