• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

B-Man2

Time for another doggy walk with my beloved king sized friend and his small sized buddy....... And because weather is getting warmer( 8°celsius) wearing my 5 star Roughwear mid brown steerhide. Love this jacket.View attachment 74192
I love your dogs !
There’s just no proper way to say it …. I love those guys… They look like they belong in a cartoon or a movie …. “life with Spike and Ike“ or something like that .
What’s the big guy ? Is he a Bull Mastif ??

CBI

I don't know how many time I have ALMOST pulled the trigger on Thorogood Roofers. I very unique look, I like them, the wife says "they look like bowling shoes: oh' well..................

mulceber

Out for a walk on a bright and cold morning.
E0484E6B-555F-45AD-892C-5179E19E0044.jpeg

Earloffunk

After going through CoViD (well, it actually skipped me, don't know why) with the whole family over the past 1,5 weeks this is my first day "in freedom" - sneaked away to the office on a quiet Sunday morning to catch up with some work and to wear my new Platon Dubow for the first time. It's a size 44 which is very comfy. Now it will need some serious wearing...

IMG_9319.JPG

bseal

After going through CoViD (well, it actually skipped me, don't know why) with the whole family over the past 1,5 weeks this is my first day "in freedom" - sneaked away to the office on a quiet Sunday morning to catch up with some work and to wear my new Platon Dubow for the first time. It's a size 44 which is very comfy. Now it will need some serious wearing...

View attachment 74250

Hiding the newest flight jacket at the office? Having other ones mailed over there as we are speak? You are in excellent company! Your secret is safe. Enjoy.

Last edited:

MaydayWei

I wanted to bring the FS B-3, as I re-dyed parts of the sleeves yesterday (turned it from solid and light reddish color to a darker and more "redskin" like tone), but it was to warm..

Grabbed this instead:

View attachment 74107

And it suddenly crossed my mind:
Most of us would probably not consider it a "vintage jacket".

But it was made in 84, so it's almost 40 years old!

And then the associative circuits went on:
At 52 I would not see myself as " an old man". But just like the jacket is "vintage", the truth is obvious... :p

From 2022 fifty two years back makes it 1970... another 52 years and you are back at 1918!!!

I think I am a pretty lucky guy, there have been worse decades to grow up and get old..

Well..., ah...never mind....

Ties

Vintage or not, that's a gem of a jacket!
Just goes to show what a big difference the mouton collar makes.
Just look at that honey coloured collar!

ties70

Hey @jack31916 ,

You wanted to know more about the "re-dye" of the B-3 sleeves.

Well, overall it was probably more like a "dark wash" like in scale modelling.
I have sanded the skin very smoothly with 1000 grit sandpaper and minimal pressure. Then I have used diluted Tandy Leather Antique Stain in dark brown and applied two coats with a scrap piece of mouton.

After drying it, I rubbed the sleeves to get off excess color. This was done twice, followed by a coat of Tan colored Antique Stain. Finished everything with a thin coat of satin finish, buffed it again.

The result is quite obvious, as the process added a lot of depth to the sleeve color:

IMG_20220207_0907207.jpg

IMG_20220207_0907381.jpg

It's completely impossible to catch the correct colors of leather an fur in one picture. The two above come close... the full pic is too reddish...

IMG_20220207_0906419~2.jpg

Even though it is slightly off, it shows the improvement compared to the light and rather flat appearance of the jacket when it was new...

IMG-20211107-WA0001~3.jpg

Ties

jack31916

Hey @jack31916 ,

You wanted to know more about the "re-dye" of the B-3 sleeves.

Well, overall it was probably more like a "dark wash" like in scale modelling.
I have sanded the skin very smoothly with 1000 grit sandpaper and minimal pressure. Then I have used diluted Tandy Leather Antique Stain in dark brown and applied two coats with a scrap piece of mouton.

After drying it, I rubbed the sleeves to get off excess color. This was done twice, followed by a coat of Tan colored Antique Stain. Finished everything with a thin coat of satin finish, buffed it again.

The result is quite obvious, as the process added a lot of depth to the sleeve color:

View attachment 74303

View attachment 74304

It's completely impossible to catch the correct colors of leather an fur in one picture. The two above come close... the full pic is too reddish...

View attachment 74305

Even though it is slightly off, it shows the improvement compared to the light and rather flat appearance of the jacket when it was new...

View attachment 74306

Ties
Thanks for the explanation (how to) and the pics Ties. From the close-ups it's easy to tell that the jacket has far more depth / character due to the different colour tones. A big improvement IMO and well done ! Enjoy wearing it!

Members online

Latest posts