• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

D97x7

Nick
I really like this B-3....Is it hard to maintain or to keep reasonably clean looking?
I haven't found it to be, admittedly I've not worn it to any busy bars or anything, I've only really worn it shopping and dog walking, but it's stayed cleaner that I thought it would really.

B-Man2

too kind. I’m getting better about buying jackets I’ll probably keep for the long run. Buying smarter, almost all purchased used. I have a GW Doniger coming in today LOL.

Out of the bunch, so far the ELC A-1 has stolen the show. Love that style. May have to buy a .50 Cal one later this year.

the only one I’m iffy about is the Cockpit Top Gun in a 44. It just sits haha. That said, right up there with the best G-1s I’ve tried. Heavy motha. Not sure if it’s all the patches or if they add an extra layer in the sleeves; it feels like it has some added weight to it.
On no!......you have truly been bitten by the bug . You realize that at some point your repro collection will be pretty awesome, but it will need to be complimented with an original and then the cycle starts all over again .
Poor guy......

Bombing IP

No Hope for Nick I am afraid ,Burt its a lost cause don't waste your time !. He needs to go to the Nancy Reagan clinic for compulsive jacket hoarders CJH ,its expensive less expensive than the jacket hoarding .But with time he could return to a normal life with the proper treatment he could be buying Gap Clothes and hanging out in Shopping malls again .You know like normal people , if he really gets sorted he would be hanging out in Prius Festivals checking out the latest batteries and customizing but that's down the road .

Jeff

Last edited:

Nickb123

It was a good jacket week. New (used) GW Doni. Tagged 44 but feels a bit slimmer in the body than the RW or Monarch.
9F9E2503-B5F5-4C76-A385-60F7572B655B.jpeg

Nickb123

Nick
Another great looking A2 ... you’re really killin it... I definitely see an original in your future;)

Perhaps. I shared a while back, but the neighbor two houses down has a bunch of them. Mostly in poor condition with seams coming apart, but he has this rather nice patched up Star in a 42. He mentioned kindly something about allotting them to me in his will but I wouldn’t kill for that. Not worth it.

joking aside, they’re all nice, historical garments. But repros are just that much nicer. WWII leather I’ve seen (and it’s limited to his collection really) has rather unremarkable leather. The repros definitely seem to veer away from originals in that respect, and in some ways that’s preferable to me. I love the history of originals though. Just as I love the art and dedication put into repros.

Old Navy jackets, on the other hand. Well, whatever recipe of goat tanning was used on those, was brilliant. I’d gladly bring back urine as an ingredient to get any repro looking that good.

B-Man2

Perhaps. I shared a while back, but the neighbor two houses down has a bunch of them. Mostly in poor condition with seams coming apart, but he has this rather nice patched up Star in a 42. He mentioned kindly something about allotting them to me in his will but I wouldn’t kill for that. Not worth it.

joking aside, they’re all nice, historical garments. But repros are just that much nicer. WWII leather I’ve seen (and it’s limited to his collection really) has rather unremarkable leather. The repros definitely seem to veer away from originals in that respect, and in some ways that’s preferable to me. I love the history of originals though. Just as I love the art and dedication put into repros.

Old Navy jackets, on the other hand. Well, whatever recipe of goat tanning was used on those, was brilliant. I’d gladly bring back urine as an ingredient to get any repro looking that good.
Nick
That’s really an interesting comment regarding the differences in the hide of original A2’s vs original USN M-422 jackets . The goatskin on those jackets was really nice and a bit thinner than the hides of the G-1s that followed them . I think an additional factor was the conditions and climates that the respective jackets were worn under. Original US Navy Flight jackets used in WWII tend to be in better condition over all in my opinion.

Micawber

Hello Steve , what conditioner are you using on your jacket ?

Depends on the jacket leather so I will use whatever I think will give the best results. I had a bit of a conditioning session on a couple of jackets this week, I used Pecards on one and Oakwood Conditioner on another ...both very sparingly! Problems occur when people think the more they slap on the more will soak in when in actual fact that will just result in a sticky residue on the surface that, unless thoroughly buffed off will attract dirt and dust as well as coming off on surfaces when it gets warm.

Its horses for courses. I've got some lovely traditional full fat stuff used in finishing that is wonderful for protecting my working horse harness in all weathers, its great for traditional boots too but would be much too course and smelly for regular use on leather garments. That said with care, and if used sparingly, will with work and time soften leather that has dried to look and feel like cardboard.

BTW I'm not endorsing or recommending any particular products, the only way to find out what suits you, the job in hand and the circumstances is to try and find what suits it best.

20210123_152001.jpg
20210123_152019.jpg

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Guys, does anyone have an ma-1 from Bronson? how good are they? thanks. p.s. in the photo they are no worse than Buzz

I originally had a 2019 version but the arms were really puffy sent it back. When the new stock 2020 version came I bought one. Really happy with the jacket. I do not own a BR, but someone did a comparison recently and said that for the money the Bronson is very close to the BR. Mine is a large and fits perfect. 5’8 & 144pound.
With the wool lining, it’s warm too. Recommended.
E1B7F8FA-1100-4B2E-B1E3-EDE27AB7C899.jpeg