• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Griffon_301

That's really cool, a comfy flight jacket lets the day pass quickly and superiously. Unfortunately I get mandated to wear organizational clothing. And I have to wear to worst designed, monkeyass looking flight jacket ever created. But let me not transfer frustration. Let the great flight jackets be coming to this little vault of happiness in an otherwise tumultous World.

First of all, thanks for the compliment about the B-6 before, you look great in the "Blakeslee-waffe" A-2 too :) we should team up for a period shooting at Meier Motors in front of one of their P-51s or any other warbirds they have ;)

Our cockpit guys wear coates as part of their uniforms. Looks funny when they are doing their preflight walkaround checks in winter trying to not get their coats wet or dirty.
In my former company, I was doing load planning and loading supervision for Cargolux and I handled a flight once where the PIC was actually wearing an BR A-2 bought in Japan...the short talk we usually held with the flight crew when the loading job was finished to confirm that locks were checked and the loading system was working properly blabla turned to a little longer conversation about repro jackets, luckily we had a short slot to sit out anyhow...

Wholenineyards

First of all, thanks for the compliment about the B-6 before, you look great in the "Blakeslee-waffe" A-2 too :) we should team up for a period shooting at Meier Motors in front of one of their P-51s or any other warbirds they have ;)

Our cockpit guys wear coates as part of their uniforms. Looks funny when they are doing their preflight walkaround checks in winter trying to not get their coats wet or dirty.
In my former company, I was doing load planning and loading supervision for Cargolux and I handled a flight once where the PIC was actually wearing an BR A-2 bought in Japan...the short talk we usually held with the flight crew when the loading job was finished to confirm that locks were checked and the loading system was working properly blabla turned to a little longer conversation about repro jackets, luckily we had a short slot to sit out anyhow...
The best times. Strangely most pilots, civillian, military or commercial have no Interest in flying jackets, or if, they usually settle for Mall type stuff. Very odd. Anyhow, that should not keep us from enjoying. When I was about 19 in 1989 I asked my American aunt to bring over the rage, the civvy Version of the newly reintroduced Cooper A-2. She brought a noname Mall A-2 cos "it was cheaper", although I told her I'd pay. I was very frustated. Until, a couple of years after, it got stolen from my car. Happines ensued.

Smithy

Forgot to say Steve the goatee really suits you.

I've had one now for a bit over a year now as well.

Better half much prefers it to the full monty which is the main thing ;-)

Boyo

Eastman Hartman..Brown Capeskin

6076F1ED-6217-40DE-AB00-2E1F872D8F3B.jpeg
AC7CBC38-E3CC-44FA-928C-12CDFC19F1EE.jpeg
24E60742-677E-41AF-92E7-E27B24A0CE2C.jpeg

Micawber

Forgot to say Steve the goatee really suits you.

I've had one now for a bit over a year now as well.

Better half much prefers it to the full monty which is the main thing ;-)

Why thank you Tim. TBH I've usually sported some kind of facial hair since I was a teen as I was always a bit lazy when it came to shaving, fortunately I was able to grow a decent beard from pretty early on. I've had all sorts from mutton chops, moustaches [including about 8 years sporting a stupendous handlebar] full beards but this is the first time I've hacked out a goatee. See, if the trend is for X I invariably shy away and go for W or Z which is why I've not had a goatee as they have been so popular. I might let the moustache grown and carve out another handlebar ....we shall see. It's interesting to see how different styles are greeted by people, the handlebar invariably attracted favourable comment or a smile ....and that can only be a good thing.

The chair of contemplation overlooks the valley out the back and is the remains of a huge willow tree that gave me nightmares for years and was the cause of some marital discontent as I wanted to do away with it as soon as we bought the place. The thing was enormous and not that far from the house but SWMBO fell in love with it despite my dire warnings about roots and unexpected falling boughs. Lo and behold as soon as we finished fencing off the back paddock it shed a monster branch right through the fence - so the whole tree had a 30% haircut. I've done my fair share of tree work in my younger days and this needed harnesses and ropes so got a pro in to do it. That was ok for a bit until one night when we had some horrendous winds, the old tree started making ominous noises and knowing how willows suddenly crack I made an executive decision and booked it to be felled - a good two day job for two pro's. I requested they leave about 10ft of stump cut dead level at the top as I had a mind to build something on the top but it proved such a good place to just sit and ponder I kept it as is. When I've up there I can see, directly across the little valley, the cottage that was clipped by a B-24 one morning before cartwheeling into the field in front with the loss of 12 brave men. I think of them often when I'm taking 5 on that chair.

Wholenineyards

Why thank you Tim. TBH I've usually sported some kind of facial hair since I was a teen as I was always a bit lazy when it came to shaving, fortunately I was able to grow a decent beard from pretty early on. I've had all sorts from mutton chops, moustaches [including about 8 years sporting a stupendous handlebar] full beards but this is the first time I've hacked out a goatee. See, if the trend is for X I invariably shy away and go for W or Z which is why I've not had a goatee as they have been so popular. I might let the moustache grown and carve out another handlebar ....we shall see. It's interesting to see how different styles are greeted by people, the handlebar invariably attracted favourable comment or a smile ....and that can only be a good thing.

The chair of contemplation overlooks the valley out the back and is the remains of a huge willow tree that gave me nightmares for years and was the cause of some marital discontent as I wanted to do away with it as soon as we bought the place. The thing was enormous and not that far from the house but SWMBO fell in love with it despite my dire warnings about roots and unexpected falling boughs. Lo and behold as soon as we finished fencing off the back paddock it shed a monster branch right through the fence - so the whole tree had a 30% haircut. I've done my fair share of tree work in my younger days and this needed harnesses and ropes so got a pro in to do it. That was ok for a bit until one night when we had some horrendous winds, the old tree started making ominous noises and knowing how willows suddenly crack I made an executive decision and booked it to be felled - a good two day job for two pro's. I requested they leave about 10ft of stump cut dead level at the top as I had a mind to build something on the top but it proved such a good place to just sit and ponder I kept it as is. When I've up there I can see, directly across the little valley, the cottage that was clipped by a B-24 one morning before cartwheeling into the field in front with the loss of 12 brave men. I think of them often when I'm taking 5 on that chair.
Enjoyed the story very much, thanks. I envy you for your contemplation station. Were you more Navy inclined I’d suggest calling it HMS Contemplation, and you could sail the stormy sea of thoughts. Cheers, Markus

Micawber

Enjoyed the story very much, thanks. I envy you for your contemplation station. Were you more Navy inclined I’d suggest calling it HMS Contemplation, and you could sail the stormy sea of thoughts. Cheers, Markus

Thanks Marcus. Funny you should mention things nautical because when the tree was felled I had ideas of chainsaw carving some kind of figurehead on the front of that trunk as the acute angle makes it look a bit like the prow of a boat ...but that is something else I never got round to doing :D