• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Officer Dibley

Probably not Steve but then again in all likelihood 100% of stuff on this forum is completely pointless, meaningless and doesn't have anything to do with what's actually really important to people's lives.

But then jackets, WWII history et al are merely a diversion, an interest, a hobby and give pleasure and enjoyment to us so posting trivialities is kind of what a forum like this that deals with trivialities is all about ;)

I think Steve shares my view that the original and until recent thrust of the thread was based on an off-the-cuff question and not a requirement for some people to post what they are wearing EVERY day. And generally one of two jackets. There’s only so much of looking at the same person or two every day that a normal bloke can stand !!! It’s boring. And what ego thinks we all want to look at them every day..... ? We are interested in jackets. Seeing how they fit different body types is useful. Seeing the same jacket on the same body ..... seriously.
I appreciate many here have OCD and that is usually associated with no intuition, poor comms skills and taking everything literally , not to mention lacking self awareness & humour, but if you behave like that , expect a bit of ribbing. This is not some liberal safe space cushion retreat.
Steve, i stand with you.
No wonder most of the old guard post rarely and the newbies post all the time....

Officer Dibley

You can argue though that ultimately the past isn't really important

That is an idiotic remark and quite unworthy of you Tim.
He who ignores the past is destined to repeat its’ mistakes....... as true now as ever.

It is also remembering our ancestors.

There is a difference between “trivia” ans seeing the same big unit, every day in the same jacket. We’ve already seen it. Those who like looking at them in it have gone “corrr”, those who think they look like an overstuffed sausage have held their tongues but are at the point where they are tired of being polite.

And bearing in mind you Tim rarely publish a body pic & never publish a full face & body pic, it’s all rather laughable

And i object to having to not following the thread when some good stuff still creeps in.

There’s a Swottyness to your attitude. Humourless, defensive, thin skinned and haughty. (especially when the remarks are not made at you. Have you become the protector of other grown “men” ?),

ties70

Oh, you want some fresh flavour? Something completely different?

I had the task to entertain politicians today.
We got a "surprise" visit by the prime minister of the state of Hamburg (who, as Hamburg is a city state, is also the mayor), his minister of economic affairs (who, in Hamburg, is called a "senator") and - one step higher - the Federal Minister of the Environment.

No leather for me today, but a corduroy jacket, a Filson wool vest, a Carhartt chambray shirt, a chambray bow tie, gap denim and Grenson Fred boots...

Suit_and_tie.jpg

Smithy

That is an idiotic remark and quite unworthy of you Tim.
He who ignores the past is destined to repeat its’ mistakes....... as true now as ever.

It is also remembering our ancestors.

There is a difference between “trivia” ans seeing the same big unit, every day in the same jacket. We’ve already seen it. Those who like looking at them in it have gone “corrr”, those who think they look like an overstuffed sausage have held their tongues but are at the point where they are tired of being polite.

And bearing in mind you Tim rarely publish a body pic & never publish a full face & body pic, it’s all rather laughable

And i object to having to not following the thread when some good stuff still creeps in.

There’s a Swottyness to your attitude. Humourless, defensive, thin skinned and haughty. (especially when the remarks are not made at you. Have you become the protector of other grown “men” ?),

Boy sounds like the cat shat on the carpet or the old piles are playing up again. Talk about a hissy-fit there.

The point I was making is that all of which this forum encapsulates and is about is ultimately to do with our interests and not things which are the most important things in our lives. And if there are people here for whom leather jackets, WWII history, etc is more important than their families, their health, etc then I'd suggest they have seriously fucked up priorities.

And don't lecture me about remembering our ancestors, I'm a member of the BoBHS, Cross & Cockade, RAFA and I'm writing a book about a fellow who made the ultimate sacrifice during the war, as well as another thing for an Aussie company on Kiwis and Aussies in the BoB. I'm doing plenty of remembering thank you very much.

And who the hell cares whether I never post a full face & body pic? I've never been big on putting my face on the internet. I had an old girlfriend who stalked me and tried to run me down with a car before being chucked in the loony bin. Sure it's twenty odd years ago but ever since then excuse me for not being terribly fucking keen on posting my face all over the net.

I don't know why you've suddenly flown off the handle like that but seriously it's just a silly forum about leather jackets worn by people who for the most part aren't even around any more. If you seriously only have to worry about and work yourself into a lather about people posting pictures of themselves and talking about the weather in a thread in an insignificant part of the internet then you must have a pretty peachy life. First world problems indeed.

Micawber

Now then, here we have an object lesson as to why it's important to pay particular attention to checking the little smiley faces someone has used in their post as these are a huge aid in interpreting the emotion and intent of the words used. Check out my first post in this thread today and note that I used these ;) ;) :D.

Ok?

That's two winky faces and one laughing one, here they are again...

Winky1.jpg
Winky1.jpg
Laugh1.jpg

Now that really ought to indicate my post was of humorous intent and that means it was not to be taken seriously.

Smithy

Now then, here we have an object lesson as to why it's important to pay particular attention to checking the little smiley faces someone has used in their post as these are a huge aid in interpreting the emotion and intent of the words used. Check out my first post in this thread today and note that I used these ;) ;) :D.

Ok?

That's two winky faces and one laughing one, here they are again...

View attachment 32545View attachment 32545View attachment 32544

Now that really ought to indicate my post was of humorous intent and that means it was not to be taken seriously.

That's why I put a wink at the end of my response to you Steve. I was just trying to point out in a lighthearted way that at the end of the day we all probably have bigger and more important things to worry and get worked up about.

Nickb123

That's why I put a wink at the end of my response to you Steve. I was just trying to point out in a lighthearted way that at the end of the day we all probably have bigger and more important things to worry and get worked up about.

The way I've come to understand it, we study history for a variety of reasons. Surely, there are commonly held motives such as being able to correct the present so as not to repeat, etc etc.But the beauty of it is that it is available in non-censored areas, and any person can study it however/with what amount of intensity as he or she pleases. No right approach.

I'm always thinking of that moment I'm one day in front of the class and pose that question to the students. I'd hope I'd leave that lecture without giving the impression that there is a "correct" answer. Easy way to turn off the curiosities of students interested in history by nailing shut doors. To each his own.

Personally, if some professor shut down my personal "romance with the past, ie vintage jacket nut" as being ludicrous in lieu of the conventional "let's not repeat the past" I'd probably be far less inclined to remain interested in the subject in a scholarly sense. Though that concept is an important one!

IMO, one of the most beneficial facets of studying history isn't even the content-it's the employment of critical thinking skills!

Last edited:

Smithy

Was a glorious day here, +1 or 2, sun shining and I had the Irvin on. I had to take the little fella to a birthday party with one of his mates from kindy and one of the mums there asked me about the Irvin. She loved it and thought her hubby would look good in one. That doesn't happen very often!