• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

B-Man2

7VsY6se.jpg

M442 jacket made by 5* Shawn

Week is almost done - "Thank god it's almost Friday" :)

Sorry for the crappy Quality of the pic
Looking good T

zoomer

Underlayer experiment stage 2: A-1 under a 3/4 length wool overcoat.
The coat has only a light satin lining, but unusually, has both zip and button closures.
It's definitely a look - reminiscent of those zip-in dickeys/collared liners in winter coats.

I'll be taking the combo out after the coat is cleaned and will report back.

Last edited:

zoomer

It is about time I showed everyone the re-speced Cockpit 37J1.

All work was done by VLJer STEVE S. He relined it in 5.5oz washed muslin, installed sage green knits from workware.hk and a Headwind spec label, sewed the hand warmers shut, and changed the zipper to a nickel bell-pull Talon. While he was in the lining, he also added a (nonspec but useful) vertical inner pocket at my request.

The waistband gave Steve "fits" and indeed turned out to fit too tightly, but I stretched it over my recliner back overnight and it's now quite comfortable.

With an extra inch of knit I can now fold down the collar and it will stay put.

Smithy

I don't go in for a lot of navy jackets but that's one damn good looking jacket. I imagine you'll be living in that as much as you possibly can!

B-Man2

Burt do you know what a brass monkey is ? .

Jeff
I believe it was a brass tray which held cannon balls aboard a ship during the Napoleonic War period. If it got freezing cold, the brass tray would contract and let the cannon balls ,which were piled in a stack or pyramid shape, collapse and roll around the ship. So the saying started that it was cold enough to freeze the balls off of a Brass Monkey.
At least that's what I thought it meant......but now I'm not sure... so what did you hear??

ausreenactor

I believe it was a brass tray which held cannon balls aboard a ship during the Napoleonic War period. If it got freezing cold, the brass tray would contract and let the cannon balls ,which were piled in a stack or pyramid shape, collapse and roll around the ship. So the saying started that it was cold enough to freeze the balls off of a Brass Monkey.
At least that's what I thought it meant......but now I'm not sure... so what did you hear??
Seems legit...

But why brass?...

gav

Smithy

Not too bad here this morning at all, +1 Celsius so I could get away with an A-2 and thin jumper.

Funny how you acclimatise to weather and where you live after awhile. Back in the old days +1 Celsius and I would have been rugged up like I was in the Antarctic.