• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

D97x7

Thought I'd don the Aero Irvin today
DSC_0015 (2).JPG

saucerfiend

Nick,
This Aero seems much lighter than the Eastman. Is it? Also, which is closest in you opinion to war time hides? Looks great, BTW!

Brian

Last edited:

Nickb123

Nick,
This Aero seems much lighter than the Eastman. Is it? Also, which is closest in you opinion to war time hides? Looks great, BTW!

Brian

Definitely not lighter than the Eastman Star I used to own speaking of leather thickness itself. It is just broken in from the previous owner. :)

I have yet to handle an original (though my neighbor claims to own about five of them...) but from what I've read on here, Eastman's thinner 2.5-ish ounce horsehide falls more in line with original weights...

But as for my subjective thoughts, the Aero looks truer vibe-wise. Again, it's probably attributed to the previous owner, having had it for 2 years prior, wearing the thing and breaking it in.

The Vicenza is probably a little more elegant than what would have been originally issued. I think for that, possibly a thinner Lost Worlds would get closer to it. Eastman's seal Warhorse I'd had was nice, albeit a rather prominent shine to it. I imagine it'd have developed a fine drape too...but sold it. That said, Eastman's price increases aren't a nail in the coffin for me-the smaller details aside, the Aero is a superior jacket IMO. I'd like a 1401 from Eastman still however.

saucerfiend

Definitely not lighter than the Eastman Star I used to own speaking of leather thickness itself. It is just broken in from the previous owner. :)

I have yet to handle an original (though my neighbor claims to own about five of them...) but from what I've read on here, Eastman's thinner 2.5-ish ounce horsehide falls more in line with original weights...

But as for my subjective thoughts, the Aero looks truer vibe-wise. Again, it's probably attributed to the previous owner, having had it for 2 years prior, wearing the thing and breaking it in.

The Vicenza is probably a little more elegant than what would have been originally issued. I think for that, possibly a thinner Lost Worlds would get closer to it. Eastman's seal Warhorse I'd had was nice, albeit a rather prominent shine to it. I imagine it'd have developed a fine drape too...but sold it. That said, Eastman's price increases aren't a nail in the coffin for me-the Aero is a superior jacket IMO.
Sorry, wrong Nick. Was referring to Nickb123's Irvin.

D97x7

Nick,

Brian

It certainly feels it to me.
A bit difficult for me to answer the second question as I've never handled an original, but to my mind it's the Aero, although I believe originals may have had denser fleece.

saucerfiend

A bit difficult for me to answer the second question as I've never handled an original, but to my mind it's the Aero, although I believe originals may have had denser fleece.
The Aero seems much more like the originals Andrew Swatland used to post and review. Sure miss him on VLJ.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Nick, what size is your Aero Irvin shown on the photo above? It fits you great!

kowalski

I HAVE QUESTION ;
here we give photos ONLY VINTAGE JACKET ? there are some rules for restriction ? or ALL ( and contemporary) of which we have dressed at the moment ?\day

ps
DX97X7 as always, the class number one, GREAT

Last edited: