• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

D97x7

ResizerImage1800X1200.jpg
ResizerImage1860X1240.jpg

Technonut2112

Had a chance to wear my Aero AN-J-3 yesterday evening, and VERY early this morning for walks to the store (medium rain both times). Damn, did the rain make a nice difference so far IMO. :) It was like new, and now is loosening-up quite nicely. This is some substantial goat, the arms are creasing-up like a HH jacket. May even have an edge to the Indian goat I had in a couple of A-2's from GW IIRC:

DSCF0538 (2).jpg

DSCF0544 (2).jpg

DSCF0542 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Steve27752

Had a chance to wear my Aero AN-J-3 yesterday evening, and VERY early this morning for walks to the store (medium rain both times). Damn, did the rain make a nice difference so far IMO. :) It was like new, and now is loosening-up quite nicely. This is some substantial goat, the arms are creasing-up like a HH jacket. May even have an edge to the Indian goat I had in a couple of A-2's from GW IIRC:

View attachment 5360
View attachment 5361
View attachment 5362
Now that is a very nice jacket.

Thomas Koehle

View attachment 5360
View attachment 5361
View attachment 5362

Awesome jacket!

I have a "technical question" concerning the waistknitting on M422`s / G1`s / ANJ`s compared to A2`s:

in my impression knittings of the Navy-Jackets mainly appear more weak / flimsy / (just do not know how to exactly describe) than on the Airforce jackets ...

Is this just my "sick brain" or reality????

Techno! Just a question and no criticism of your jacket - looks splendind!

If yes does anyone know the reason for it? For purpose or only coz the USN-knitting is usually almost the double length of the Airforce pieces????

Technonut2112

Awesome jacket!

I have a "technical question" concerning the waistknitting on M422`s / G1`s / ANJ`s compared to A2`s:

in my impression knittings of the Navy-Jackets mainly appear more weak / flimsy / (just do not know how to exactly describe) than on the Airforce jackets ...

Is this just my "sick brain" or reality????

Techno! Just a question and no criticism of your jacket - looks splendind!

If yes does anyone know the reason for it? For purpose or only coz the USN-knitting is usually almost the double length of the Airforce pieces????

Thanks to all compliments... :) Aero sourced some great goat when it was made for sure. ;)

I've had much better, substantial rib-racks on other USN jackets. G&B comes to mind as having good ones, as were on 'historic' M-422 A's I have / had. I think this AN-J-3 was made before Aero changed knit suppliers or some such... I'm considering purchasing a good set of USA made, wool rib-racks / cuffs from a guy on eBay who has them in dull-purple, and having them installed, although a mid- darker brown would be more authentic..

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

I would have thought the waistband is the same as we still use now, as far as I'm aware the only single thickness military knit we've ever used is the deadstock USN knit bought in bulk during the 1990s. That was several thousand waistbands as I recall, I'd be suprised if it's all been used but I'm not in the factory very often these days.

Technonut2112

I would have thought the waistband is the same as we still use now, as far as I'm aware the only single thickness military knit we've ever used is the deadstock USN knit bought in bulk during the 1990s. That was several thousand waistbands as I recall, I'd be suprised if it's all been used but I'm not in the factory very often these days.

I'm in no way slighting the jacket / workmanship... Top Shelf! The knits however, I would have to describe as 'weak'.. The jacket was in new condition, and only after wearing it a few times, the cuffs are quite fuzzy, and ''thinner' than I've found on others.. The waistband seems thinner as previously described.

EDIT:

The knits on this authentic AN-J-3 appear to be original to the jacket, and while a bit thinner looking than A-2 knits due to the length, look more 'heavy-duty' than the newer ones on mine, and looks similar to others in / out of my possession over the years. This pic also shows the overall outstanding attention to detail that Aero paid to patterning from one of the originals they had (just a couple of minor deviations which just may have been their own twist on it).

(Not my writing on pic):

01-1.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut2112

We never had original USN deadstock cuffs, only waistbands, but if the cuffs are fuzzy they certainly won't be what we currently use.

If the shipping wasn't a consideration, I would send it back your way for a 'look see' / knit replacement, since I know a great job would be done. However, I know of a place here in the States that does work I can trust as well.. My dilemma is "AAF brown or dull purple"..... :)

EDIT: From what I think I see on the below original, it appears that dull purple knits on my AN-J-3 has the 'green-light' if I want to go that route after all: ;)

10979607_339417799602524_1051227948_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

We could send you a pair of our current cuffs which should match the existing waistband which you'd be mad to replace
Even if you did I'd be surprised if you'd be happy with the results, I wouldn't trust the replacing the waistband to anyone who isn't well schooled in the art of fitting these single thickness waistbands. It's tricky enough fitting it from new but replacing this type while using the original stitch holes ?................. don't take the risk

Ken at Aero Leather

SNIP
This pic also shows the overall outstanding attention to detail that Aero paid to patterning from one of the originals they had (just a couple of minor deviations which just may have been their own twist on it).

(Not my writing on pic):

View attachment 5365

We've had 25 to 30 originals through our hands over the last 40 years so we've had plenty first hand experience of the design
Three recently sold examples, the bottom one fetched £1000, that's the third time we achieved that sort of price for one
AN-J-3 3.jpg
AN-J-3 2.jpg
AN-J-3.jpg

Technonut2112

We could send you a pair of our current cuffs which should match the existing waistband which you'd be mad to replace
Even if you did I'd be surprised if you'd be happy with the results, I wouldn't trust the replacing the waistband to anyone who isn't well schooled in the art of fitting these single thickness waistbands. It's tricky enough fitting it from new but replacing this type while using the original stitch holes ?................. don't take the risk

I may even go ahead and pop for shipping to you since it is going into summer... That way, you could compare the waistband to what you currently have, and replace if necessary. I've had quite a few jackets with 'heavier-duty' rib-racks than this one, and would be surprised if this one is dead-stock from WWII, but I've been known to be wrong..Whodathunkit? :p:D;) The wrist knits are a CERTAIN replacement though... they're getting furry enough to jump off of the cuffs and run off if I'm not looking. :eek:

Tell you what, How about I send the AN-J-3 in to you, and then just include it in the same package as the B-10 I'm going to order when both are complete? Hopefully, it won't push the shipping charges up excessively.

To get this thread back on-topic, please message me your complete shipping info.. ;)

ties70

Sorry for the once again crappy picture quality...

My Bronson 37J1, with my VF-6 tribute....not the standard "Felix" but I like it:

37j1_elevator_2.jpg

felix_detail_2.jpg

37j1_stencilled_back.jpg

I am waiting for a new MASH collar knit...the jacket will get the "Persimmon" - modification: A varsity / MA-1 style collar.

Best regards,

Ties

Geeboo

Look nice tie. 1 distinctive feature of military jackets is their patches or "drawing" where it is not very normal to put these on other types of jackets [save for varsity/ letterman jkts]. So, why not patch or have drawing on it [personalize/ customize] ?
20180602_140848.jpg