• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Lord Flashheart

Good to see you back Mike. Reading - wow books - no batteries, always on, fully portable (well paperbacks anyway) and a whole lot more social than todays digital attention sponges. Books are great. Who knew?;)

stanier

Brilliant, when did it arrive? What do you think? Looks perfect imo.
It actually arrived quite a few months ago Mr Cabbie. And my eternal thanks to Lord Flashheart for helping it reach me... don't ask.... you wouldn't believe it..... but I do know Mr Flashheart is a top chap!

Anyway, to the jacket itself. By the time it arrived it had become a bit surplus to requirement, as I'd got my GW Rough Wear in the meantime which filled my russet gap, and that jacket has a Crown zip which ticked that desire box too. I'm also generally more of a seal fan and being in the queue for another Goodwear and one possible option for that order being a Dubow 27798 in seal with a crown zip so I've been in two minds about selling the Platon Dubow. It's just been sitting on my rail with the tag still attached and dangling....

However, Dubow is probably my favourite A-2 maker and the jacket is very nice and for me just might be about to come into it's own. The leather is slightly thinner than the GW and my ELC Star and maybe for warmer days when I'd still like a jacket with me it will work well. I have to hand it to Platon and his team, to my eye it looks and drapes (even just on the hanger) just like every pic I've seen of a Dubow A-2. The leather, as I say is definitely slightly thinner and very soft and pliable, and drapes and folds beatifully and I noticed yesterday that it seems to develop rich grain very easily where it folds and creases. I have a feeling this is one jacket where heavy continuous wear would see it's character really pop with a bang. I suspect the leather is the place where some of the saving on jacket cost is made. To be clear there's nothing wrong with it. It is just thinner (which many like) and possibly has a stamped initial grain rather than being the natural top grain cut. I stress I could be wrong on this and am getting into an area I don't know a lot about, but I know how my jacket looks and feels. And to stress again, there's nothing wrong with it. Knits, lining, label, zip, thread, snaps, are at least all as good as any high end maker and whoever stitched it is as tidy on the sewing machine as anyone and a very nice job.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a review, which I didn't mean but hopefully helpful, and you did ask! ;)

I would however like a GW Dubow 27798 in a really grainy seal with purply knits and with a Crown zip... but as I'm currently leaning towards that upcoming GW order being a navy jacket then the Platon 27798 might find it gets more wear than I thought.... wearing it yesterday with an ELC t shirt and Bronson C-2 I was plenty warm enough.

ausreenactor

Some fields, the inevitable bit of sky, me and my trusty GW Acme with the collar half up at the back...

View attachment 59695

But today I was not alone, see below...

View attachment 59696

Today I had my MK1 wife (who refuses to have her photo taken) and MK1 daughter who is from the selfie generation with me. Out of frame are three of our K9's too.
Wifey and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary yesterday.
Need another jacket on that pic!

Congratulations on the Anniversary. May there be MANY more!

Kermit3D

DSC_0714.jpg