What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Smithy

We have a full storm hitting late tomorrow so I had to take down the kids' trampoline, the pagoda thing my wife has in the garden and stuff the rest of the garden furniture into the garage before all hell breaks loose tomorrow.

As usual I did it all in my WPG A-2. As I've mentioned before, this was one of the pre-release versions (a 1,000 times better than what they eventually released) and I love it even though it doesn't hit the bullseye on the small detail stuff. The knits too, especially the wrist ones are the wrong shape but nearly bulletproof. For all its foibles I love the damn thing, it's built like a brick shithouse, the goatskin drapes exactly like an original would have when new and the cut is beautiful. It's also astonishingly well made. I have been a complete and utter bastard to this jacket and done terrible things in it and it's never once failed. Sorry about the flash photography, it's a dark chocolate shade with reddish hues coming through on the wear points.

There's more accurate jackets but I love this old bugger.

mulceber

The knits too, especially the wrist ones are the wrong shape but nearly bulletproof.
The thing I was thinking as I looked at those knits, Tim. Is they’d be damn near perfect for a SAT repro, what with its longer knit cuffs. My United Sheeplined is actually similar, come to think.

Spitfireace

We have a full storm hitting late tomorrow so I had to take down the kids' trampoline, the pagoda thing my wife has in the garden and stuff the rest of the garden furniture into the garage before all hell breaks loose tomorrow.

As usual I did it all in my WPG A-2. As I've mentioned before, this was one of the pre-release versions (a 1,000 times better than what they eventually released) and I love it even though it doesn't hit the bullseye on the small detail stuff. The knits too, especially the wrist ones are the wrong shape but nearly bulletproof. For all its foibles I love the damn thing, it's built like a brick shithouse, the goatskin drapes exactly like an original would have when new and the cut is beautiful. It's also astonishingly well made. I have been a complete and utter bastard to this jacket and done terrible things in it and it's never once failed. Sorry about the flash photography, it's a dark chocolate shade with reddish hues coming through on the wear points.

There's more accurate jackets but I love this old bugger.

Looks nice. Kinda like my Flight Apparel Industries. Mines made in New Jersey so I like that it's authentic that way.

Smithy

The thing I was thinking as I looked at those knits, Tim. Is they’d be damn near perfect for a SAT repro, what with its longer knit cuffs. My United Sheeplined is actually similar, come to think.
Have a look at the knits on these ones Jan...

One of the things I love with this jacket is if I photograph it in black and white it looks exactly like these in terms of shade, drape and folding. It's missing the small details but in terms of some of the big stuff it's damn closer than some repros a lot more expensive.

Spitfireace

Thing is like I say if your cuff wool is one inch longer than usual, then your have to make sure your replacement is that long. WW2 was like 2 inch and later is 3 inch.

Spitfireace

I don't recall if I got that reprint off eBay or Etsy but its really sharp and on thick paper with vibrant colors. I have sincevseen 2 originals of that image on eBay but yes, I think they were over $500. I would love to get others one day. but like you say, you have to then factor in the frame as well. I usually try to hit a sale at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. or use their 50% off one item coupon to offset it. not the best frame in the world but for a repro it works just fine.
I do have one original that I paid $400.00 for. hit all the right points for my USAAF man cave... B-17s, A-2 jackets and its a recruiting poster dated 5-16-1942. it has a few minor issues but has character. I look at other originals and sometimes think about it but then I realize I have nothing left in the refrigerator and need to put gas in the car. :p
View attachment 43890View attachment 43891
gas in the car ya.....

Edward

I don't know about you Ed. I am laid off. Not really sure what to do to tell the truth. I got unemployment money. Only enough to get by. No extravagances. I have lots of jackets. Have a good one fellow enthusiasts.
damn. that does suck. I am lucky I changed jobs a year and a half ago after 12 years. if I hadn't I would have been laid off as well. 90% of the fellow employees I used to work with got laid off. if that happened to me I would have been destitute. my new job has built in job security and I am actually getting some overtime each week for the last couple of weeks. not sure if it will last on after the year ends but I can be certain I will still be employed at least. we did have a terrible slow time for about a month this summer but things have really kicked back in for us. hopefully it will stay busy. I hope things turn around for you soon. tough times for so many.

Smithy

I don't know about you Ed. I am laid off. Not really sure what to do to tell the truth. I got unemployment money. Only enough to get by. No extravagances. I have lots of jackets. Have a good one fellow enthusiasts.
Tell me about it. I entirely lost the sector (museum and cultural work) I worked in before CV, and even though I've got a post graduate degree. I've had to go off and take three courses so I can work in the security industry. Not what I did before but I feel horrendously lucky to have a job now. Lots of people have to do different things now than what they did before. Just having a job is a major plus.