• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

busdrivermike

After reading @B-Man2 post about the Branded A2 I decided I needed
To wear mine as I went out for a ride and checked out a couple thrift
Shops and got a coffee
0D36E17D-EF34-4D31-8F73-786F0583BA0A.jpeg
50BFE0F8-BD9E-4A7D-8D0E-E5049DC6279B.jpeg

London Cabbie

Apologies.

I know the patch is probably on the wrong jacket & the wrong period, but I like it...

Non Stock 1972 ‘The Hunter’ Ma-1?
It doesn’t drape or hang like the one in the movie, even the colours off...

But again I like it and it has a slight vintage look IMO.

(What was the maker & model of Steve McQueens Ma-1...?)
BA42FBF4-CF96-473C-BCEA-8FB0C2609A68.jpeg

Smithy

Been wearing A-2s for most of the last week apart from a couple of days where we were over 20 Celsius so no jacket. Today feels like autumn has hit and the weather forecast looks to have the temperature dropping and inclement weather. In preparation I went into my storage room and got out my 1944 Pattern Sumpftarn Parka, the waxed cotton coat and a few other bits and pieces.

One of the things I love about here is how each season is so distinct and requires different clobber so all my stuff gets an equal outing over the year.

lbXbkKv.jpg

PS - Old photo from early this year, yes I live in Arctic Norway but we don't have snow on the ground...well not just yet! (I bloody love this parka, if the zombie apocalypse ever hits it'll be my go to ;-)

ausreenactor

Been wearing A-2s for most of the last week apart from a couple of days where we were over 20 Celsius so no jacket. Today feels like autumn has hit and the weather forecast looks to have the temperature dropping and inclement weather. In preparation I went into my storage room and got out my 1944 Pattern Sumpftarn Parka, the waxed cotton coat and a few other bits and pieces.

One of the things I love about here is how each season is so distinct and requires different clobber so all my stuff gets an equal outing over the year.

lbXbkKv.jpg

PS - Old photo from early this year, yes I live in Arctic Norway but we don't have snow on the ground...well not just yet! (I bloody love this parka, if the zombie apocalypse ever hits it'll be my go to ;-)

'Dead snow' perhaps? Is the year for it....

Smithy

No argument there... the dress uniforms were 'the Boss' too....

Joking aside, it's amazing how far ahead German WWII combat kit and equipment was.

Look at how it compares with now with most modern militaries...

Coal scuttle helmet design utilising a camo helmet cover.

Both upper and lower body camouflage uniform with multiple pockets.

Camouflage being "dot" based - something started with Waffen-SS designs and carried on with current designs like Multicam.

Assault rifle with curved magazine design.

Say what you want about the Germans but they were streets ahead in infantry combat equipment and kit.

B-Man2

Would say that was numbers.. not materiel.
Well certainly the numbers and the double envelopment sealed the fate of General Paulis and the 6th German Army , but speaking to the overall kit of the German soldier, he had no extreme cold weather clothing, head wear or foot wear and many of them simply froze to death , where as the Russians had heavy long coats, wool uniforms, winter boots , socks and gloves , and head wear.

Last edited: