• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Wholenineyards

Really nice!.... do you mind if I ask where and how you found this one . I’d love to find one like this for my wife.
Cheers
Thanks, I found it on eBay, say, 5 years ago. Sometimes they do pop up. I think I payed 140 USD which I thought was a decent enough price for a second hand but grade 1 jacket. I always thought it portrayed a good spirit. She likes it, too, and wears it great. Not often enough for me, though, I admit. Good night, stay safe!

Wholenineyards

severe turbulence? Good grief! I've been in moderate and that was enough to keep me from enjoying it any longer! Love aviation, love the jackets, but I'll gladly let others assume the role of pilot!
Oh, thanks for the laurels, but I meant the severe turbulence a bit more metaphorical. In, like, what happens along a life span sort of stuff. The little ultra light won’t take an overly aggressive air mass anybody having to chance it out in severe turbulence I wish a pot of luck. But truth be told, she, the lady concerned, can take quite a beating by rough air, which makes me very happy. The jacket though, is big on fighting the winter cold in 3000 feet. So that’s a plus, too. Have a great night! Markus

mulceber

Warm day out, and we wanted to get some air, so to the park in my original United Sheeplined, where everyone was carefully social distancing.

456DE881-2C28-403A-A63D-82782816473C.jpeg

Ken at Aero Leather

It's a double faced Sheep Suede, both sides good enough to use as exterior, a very good budget version of our Double Faced Majestic Goat .......this one is unlined it'll go into production unlined once we are back at work
One of our Californian stockists keeps asking for Summer jackets
I'm amazed how different it feels working on an unlined jackets, suprisingly tricky, but the end result feels great on

Ken at Aero Leather

I am amazed by the jacket you wore. That's a such cool jacket. Is that battered tan?

Yes, Battered Tan Horsehide (should have come up with a better name in the first place) we've been having this leather made for around 8 years now, every delivery seems to be different, often mismatched, odd graining, etc due to the unique tanning method used.
Over the years we've gathered up a lot of offcuts, part hides etc. Last time I was at the factory I filled the boot of my old Range Rover with a few hundred foot of the off cuts and I've been using them to make first samples.
There is quite a pull up to the leather (lots of oils in the tanning) so occasionally one panel will lighten up more than the rest of the jacket during make up. turning through/closing etc mainly
I've worked out how to do a Period Correct closing technique that removes most of the crushing of the jacket at this stage so the jackets should look genuinely used but not mismatched.
We are planning a range of 30s Civvy jackets when we are back at work to use up the rest of the part cut hides
Can't use the new closing technique on Bike Jackets though, hence the very pale panel on the front on the one in the pic. :( Could be darkened down easily with boot polish however

Last edited:

Wholenineyards

Still warm enough here (and getting even warmer over the weekend) to wear the 37J1 for a day spent at work again (finally)...
We are launching a repatriation flight to Nigeria today to pick up some stranded Austrians and several cargo flights to China... Our long haul ships are in quite good demand currently...
Griffon, how did the flights go? Can you sneak in the odd non-company flight jacket?

Griffon_301

Griffon, how did the flights go? Can you sneak in the odd non-company flight jacket?

Actually, I am working in the flight ops department, so my contribution is limited to organizational support before and trouble shooting issues that creep up during those flights...
Actually the flights go quite well, we have now a kind of air bridge to China up and running on a certain kind of schedule and are still picking up stranded Austrians and other EU citizens from all over the world...yesterday we operated to Nigeria for example while next week, we plan to go to New Zealand...
Its challenging times but our flight crews do a marvelous job and ALL of them have volunteered to do these flights...really great!

Oh and I am not wearing any kind of uniform while at work so it's jacket time whenever weather permits...and before Covid - when social distancing was unknown - I got asked quite often about the jackets, it was mostly the M-422a and Irvin that got the most attention...

Wholenineyards

My significant other got hold of one of my books recently and obviously took notice of some of the depicted pilots in it...today, while doing the morning Doggo walk, she said she'd like to try something as I was wearing my B-6....
B-6 look so cool and I'd love one but I fear the shearlings from our favourite brands have passed the price range at which I can continue procuring. I bought all mine 2006/07ish. But you look swell in it. Enjoy an honest and hearty pat on the back. Congrats.

Griffon_301

I bought my shearlings before the heavy price increase that ELC introduced two years ago too...
It's a pitty they cost so much nowadays...
I have posted pictures of the first ELC "catalogue" and price list from the times when I bought my first jacket from them more than 20 years ago.some.time ago here, a really eye watering experience :D

For the time being, my collection comprises nearly all jackets I'd like to have, I am only missing either an ANJ-4 or M-445 and maybe a Tanker Jacket, but with the current situation, it might take some time to be able to add them to the collection...

Wholenineyards

Actually, I am working in the flight ops department, so my contribution is limited to organizational support before and trouble shooting issues that creep up during those flights...
Actually the flights go quite well, we have now a kind of air bridge to China up and running on a certain kind of schedule and are still picking up stranded Austrians and other EU citizens from all over the world...yesterday we operated to Nigeria for example while next week, we plan to go to New Zealand...
Its challenging times but our flight crews do a marvelous job and ALL of them have volunteered to do these flights...really great!

Oh and I am not wearing any kind of uniform while at work so it's jacket time whenever weather permits...and before Covid - when social distancing was unknown - I got asked quite often about the jackets, it was mostly the M-422a and Irvin that got the most attention...
That's really cool, a comfy flight jacket lets the day pass quickly and superiously. Unfortunately I get mandated to wear organizational clothing. And I have to wear to worst designed, monkeyass looking flight jacket ever created. But let me not transfer frustration. Let the great flight jackets be coming to this little vault of happiness in an otherwise tumultous World.