• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

mulceber

Bear in mind though that I'm not one of those chaps who lays my jackets down nicely - especially A-2s - I throw them in a heap as in my experience it helps them develop wear and creasing like originals. For example at the moment, both of mine are lying however they were thrown down under a heap of other coats and jackets on top of a ships chest. I have no idea, arms could be folded up funny, they could be half open, whatever. But I like them that way, when I get them out, put them on, and they relax a bit, they look a million times better and closer to wartime jackets than those ones, people lie down gently with the arms all neatly laid out or on padded hangers.

Same. When I get a new one, I’m actually in the habit of deliberately wadding it up and piling my other jackets on top. Helps the jacket develop some nice creasing and loosen up early on.

Smithy

Same. When I get a new one, I’m actually in the habit of deliberately wadding it up and piling my other jackets on top. Helps the jacket develop some nice creasing and loosen up early on.

Good stuff. If you want a repro A-2 to develop wear and creasing like an original then you have to do what you can to treat it like an original. Obviously we can't go up and fly P-47s or B-17s but we can treat them the same way they were treated on the ground, and that was, HARD. Aircrew during the war didn't lie them out neatly on the floor of their Nissen hut on tissue paper or hang them on hangers with bloody pool noodles or whathaveyou. They chucked the things on the floor, on hung them on the back of a chair, or hanging from a coat hook. They did work in them, got drunk in them, played poker in them, drunk beer (and dropped beer on them) in them, ate food in them, got food on them, etc.

If you really want your repro to look more like an original, don't baby it, treat it as close to how they treated originals. They didn't think when they were wearing their A-2, "Ooh, should I be doing this wearing my nice flying jacket?" and you shouldn't either if you want a jacket that looks more like the real thing. And actually, once you stop worrying about what might happen to your jacket and just go with it, you'll be infinitely happier when you wear it.

Micawber

More ELC Star Sportswear time today. Still new, still stiff but still loving' it !

A bit chilly at the wartime home of 447th Bombardment Group. Sorry about the shades ...View attachment 31559

Looking good there Lord F, I particularly like the wind vortex off the left side of the collar! ;) I know the wind can blow a bit over Rattlesden, we came close to buying a property there some years ago.

Micawber

Good stuff. If you want a repro A-2 to develop wear and creasing like an original then you have to do what you can to treat it like an original. Obviously we can't go up and fly P-47s or B-17s but we can treat them the same way they were treated on the ground, and that was, HARD. Aircrew during the war didn't lie them out neatly on the floor of their Nissen hut on tissue paper or hang them on hangers with bloody pool noodles or whathaveyou. They chucked the things on the floor, on hung them on the back of a chair, or hanging from a coat hook. They did work in them, got drunk in them, played poker in them, drunk beer (and dropped beer on them) in them, ate food in them, got food on them, etc.

If you really want your repro to look more like an original, don't baby it, treat it as close to how they treated originals. They didn't think when they were wearing their A-2, "Ooh, should I be doing this wearing my nice flying jacket?" and you shouldn't either if you want a jacket that looks more like the real thing. And actually, once you stop worrying about what might happen to your jacket and just go with it, you'll be infinitely happier when you wear it.

What you are saying Tim is quite correct.

To summarise - it's a leather jacket, not a sacred religious icon.

Flightengineer

Thanks chaps ... I agree about giving the collar a proper work out. Any suggestions?

You can lightly sprinkle it with water and modeled it as you feel comfortable so that it does not look “cardboard”. Just place it as you want and let it dry. When my Star was just bought and new, the collar was like yours. Now it is located and formed as it should and as I like, it's became very convenient, even if I sometimes lift it up in windy weather.

and yes ... just wear a lot and do not spare this jacket, and everything will be as it should!

Lord Flashheart

More good advice and much appreciated. These were work clothes after all. I'm looking forward to seeing the character develop. I think I'll just scrunch the collar as Smithy suggests and see what happens.

And excellent spot there Micawber, they weren't gliding today so it can't have been one of theirs making the contrail;)

Smithy

I've been into flying jackets since 2006 and the best thing I ever did in relation to the things was when I stopped caring and worrying about them, and just got on and wore the damn things.

Stopping giving a shit is probably one of the most liberating things you can do. And without going all Dalai Lama, it's probably one of the best things you can do with all material things in life which really at the end of the day don't mean terribly much. It's only a jacket after all, just wear it and enjoy it. If it falls apart and you've had a blast in it, better that than some poor fuck who has stressed and worried about it the whole time, when wearing it, doing things in it, storing it, worried about every single little mark that inevitably comes up on it, etc.

Flightengineer

I've been into flying jackets since 2006 and the best thing I ever did in relation to the things was when I stopped caring and worrying about them, and just got on and wore the damn things.

Stopping giving a shit is probably one of the most liberating things you can do. And without going all Dalai Lama, it's probably one of the best things you can do with all material things in life which really at the end of the day don't mean terribly much. It's only a jacket after all, just wear it and enjoy it. If it falls apart and you've had a blast in it, better that than some poor fuck who has stressed and worried about it the whole time, when wearing it, doing things in it, storing it, worried about every single little mark that inevitably comes up on it, etc.

golden words

adfrost

Sneak preview...:cool:

475A5161-6323-4BD1-B8C5-AB9CC1183D4A.jpeg

Officer Dibley

I misunderstood the gist of this thread. Now that i understand that it means one should post a selfy EVERY day of oneself in the same jacket (or two at most) and with a local weather forecast and description of what one is up to, best i get selfying. Of course, bring England, i’ll be reporting rain EVERY day :p

Smithy

Warmer again here. Went for a wander into town and got away with only an A-2 and jumper again. Feels like spring which of course inside the Arctic Circle it isn't. Another couple of days and it'll no doubt drop into the minus and I'll be shovelling snow again.

Micawber

I misunderstood the gist of this thread. Now that i understand that it means one should post a selfy EVERY day of oneself in the same jacket (or two at most) and with a local weather forecast and description of what one is up to, best i get selfying. Of course, bring England, i’ll be reporting rain EVERY day :p

Come on Dave what you on about boi, there be no bloody rain here today ya daft bugga (can't insert a little winky face there for some reason so don't bite me bloody head orf!)

Lovely sunny but chilly day here at the arse end of beyond, just the weather to impress the one person I met walking her dog along the deserted Norfolk lanes. I clearly saw the wonderment in her eyes at the vision I presented togged up in the ELC B-15 and A-10 gloves while the little Hurricane engine in the 43 Jeep whisked me past at an eye watering 25mph. Next time I'll make sure not to forget to wear some trousers, socks and boots too.....

20200208_152444.jpg

Jeep looks way more green and shiny than it is in what I like to call real life.

Smithy

Surely around Rattlesden way you'll be hard pressed to find any lovelies under 70.....

Mate you should try round here. It was lucky I didn't have a car when I first lived here as I would have crashed the thing every couple of minutes looking at the girls wandering up and down here!

They're a good looking bunch those Norwegians - well I married one after all ;-)