What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Roughwear, Mar 22, 2008.

1. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Nice photo..... nice sunburn......nice car... in a great spot in France no less!
    I’m with you all the way so far... but you forgot to tell us about that cool looking jacket your wearing;)

Pilot and Earloffunk like this.
  2. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Rust knits controversial? Well yea on the B10 I recal but nah, not if you like ,'em and I do hence to repeat myself from other posts, if I do ever go for another A2 it would be Seal/rust combo, gutted I missed out on a lovely one a few years back on GW's sale page! In future too I must steer clear of strange men in M&S loo's taking pictures of themselves - unless maybe he's wearing an A2 and I'm wearing mine!! I've said before, given how popular our jackets are and living in London, I've rarely bumped into someone else wearing one, maybe just a handful of occasions!

geoff.adams.96, Pilot and B-Man2 like this.
  3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Hahaha...good one JW .. I bet running into another chap wearing an A2 in the loo is a real ice breaker . ;)

geoff.adams.96 and Pilot like this.
  4. blackrat2

blackrat2 Active Member

Nice Aero’s Geoff and Nick
    Love the drape and sizing on yours Nick

Nickb123, geoff.adams.96 and Pilot like this.
  5. Art

Art Well-Known Member

Looks very nice mate

6. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

Love those defenders

Flightengineer and Earloffunk like this.
  7. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Well-Known Member

Me too - have a lot more class than their American cousins I think. But they require a lot more work than jeeps.

Thomas Koehle likes this.
  8. s4rmark

s4rmark Well-Known Member

Today I am mostly wearing a Buzz Ricksons L-2B over an Aero leather Paratrooper sweater.

9. D97x7

D97x7 Well-Known Member

Thought I'd don the Aero Irvin today
    DSC_0015 (2).JPG

Pilot, AlexLutov, blackrat2 and 11 others like this.
  10. saucerfiend

saucerfiend Active Member

Nick,
    This Aero seems much lighter than the Eastman. Is it? Also, which is closest in you opinion to war time hides? Looks great, BTW!

Brian

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Nickb123 likes this.
  11. Art

Art Well-Known Member

EE6C49CF-AEC1-48BD-AF35-59CBE59D0B8D.jpeg My buzz B15a and awesome belt courtesy of Jeremiah

D97x7, blackrat2, kowalski and 5 others like this.
  12. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

Nice B15 @Art, any patching plan?

13. Nickb123

Nickb123 Active Member

Definitely not lighter than the Eastman Star I used to own speaking of leather thickness itself. It is just broken in from the previous owner. :)

I have yet to handle an original (though my neighbor claims to own about five of them...) but from what I've read on here, Eastman's thinner 2.5-ish ounce horsehide falls more in line with original weights...

But as for my subjective thoughts, the Aero looks truer vibe-wise. Again, it's probably attributed to the previous owner, having had it for 2 years prior, wearing the thing and breaking it in.

The Vicenza is probably a little more elegant than what would have been originally issued. I think for that, possibly a thinner Lost Worlds would get closer to it. Eastman's seal Warhorse I'd had was nice, albeit a rather prominent shine to it. I imagine it'd have developed a fine drape too...but sold it. That said, Eastman's price increases aren't a nail in the coffin for me-the smaller details aside, the Aero is a superior jacket IMO. I'd like a 1401 from Eastman still however.

14. saucerfiend

Nick,
    This Aero seems much lighter than the Eastman. Is it? Also, which is closest in you opinion to war time hides? Looks great, BTW!

Brian

15. saucerfiend

Sorry, wrong Nick. Was referring to Nickb123's Irvin.

Nickb123 likes this.
  16. Nickb123

Nickb123 Active Member

D97x7!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    saucerfiend likes this.
  17. Art

Art Well-Known Member

No I like to have plain and a painted versions of the various jackets I own and only patch the cheaper ones or my older B3 as it's in its peeling phase of life

18. D97x7

D97x7 Well-Known Member

It certainly feels it to me.
    A bit difficult for me to answer the second question as I've never handled an original, but to my mind it's the Aero, although I believe originals may have had denser fleece.

19. saucerfiend

The Aero seems much more like the originals Andrew Swatland used to post and review. Sure miss him on VLJ.

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Lebowski

Lebowski Well-Known Member

Nick, what size is your Aero Irvin shown on the photo above? It fits you great!