• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Greg Gale

AVI G-1 in VF-84 colors with matching helmet bag, and a Bronson Chambray shirt:

7DC5BED8-FB6B-4B62-A486-E0E3BF354CF7.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Thanks guys, it's still on the limit of tolerance for me (being too long and large), but all things considered I'm happy with it and I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon :)

MeachamLake

Thanks guys, it's still on the limit of tolerance for me (being too long and large), but all things considered I'm happy with it and I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon :)

That’s absolutely nowhere near being too long or large. Funny how we can convince ourselves of these things if we spend too long pondering fit in a mirror...the reality is that it looks spot on to my eye!

Thomas Koehle

That’s absolutely nowhere near being too long or large. Funny how we can convince ourselves of these things if we spend too long pondering fit in a mirror...the reality is that it looks spot on to my eye!

Well I think you nailed it with your description of that kinda „gutfeeling“: once you are in doubt it never let you go again and each time you are facing a mirror you start thinking about it again ...

For me the fit looks splendid

Greg Gale

I guess no jacket is "perfect" only very rarely, and since these are precious to us we exaggerate the problems and spend too much time in front of the mirror. But then, there a question of feel, and I feel better sitting down and driving in my trimmer A-2 because there is less leather being wrinkled up and getting in the way. Oh well, there are only even sizes, and I did try a size larger/ smaller with all my jackets, and chose the better one, so I should just tell the voice in my head to shut up :)

Flightengineer

I guess no jacket is "perfect" only very rarely, and since these are precious to us we exaggerate the problems and spend too much time in front of the mirror. But then, there a question of feel, and I feel better sitting down and driving in my trimmer A-2 because there is less leather being wrinkled up and getting in the way. Oh well, there are only even sizes, and I did try a size larger/ smaller with all my jackets, and chose the better one, so I should just tell the voice in my head to shut up :)

Greg, you're right to ask this voice to shut up - this G-1 fits you OK.
Envy to your "jacket" weather. Now too cold for leather jackets at my home, too hot for leather jackets here :)
So no any jacket today :(
Hugging Cirrus from Emirates FTA in Al Maktoum (+29 C in the evening).

Wholenineyards

1822306A-ABA6-4617-8461-F5A48A49E472.jpeg

https://www.legendaryusa.com/Legendary-Hellcat-Mens-G-1-Leather-Flight-Jacket-with-Side-Entry.html
Fellow flight jacket aficionados, let’s take a look at the brutal reality... please view the link to the “official Blue Angel G-1 flight jacket” by Legendary USA. Those are worn by pilots considered the peak of their profession... Those pilots train physically and are extremly fit. The flight jacket was essentially made for them. Take a look. Fit: Would you consider it acceptable for yourself? Authenticity: Cut? Handwarmer pockets? Leather: Cowhide? Yet, those are the jackets that bear the authentic patches of the US Navy Flight Demonstration Team. Because those sailors fly the hell out of their planes... well, so much for flight jackets today. If you are not happy with your jacket, that’s ok. But I am sure there are “authentic” jackets out there that look worse, doing the job... Edit: I am looking for a picture of LtCdr Butch Voris, head of the Blue Angels, wearing a G-1, back in the day it should have fit better. I am not yet successful. Just to make sure: I have the same problem like many of you gentlemen, doubting my jackets, but looking at the link usually helps me. Maybe it helps others, too...
1822306A-ABA6-4617-8461-F5A48A49E472.jpeg

Last edited:

Pilot

Greg, you're right to ask this voice to shut up - this G-1 fits you OK.
Envy to your "jacket" weather. Now too cold for leather jackets at my home, too hot for leather jackets here :)
So no any jacket today :(
Hugging Cirrus from Emirates FTA in Al Maktoum (+29 C in the evening).

Its prohibited to take pictures at Al Maktoum...:)you should know it:)
Are you training there?

Flightengineer

Its prohibited to take pictures at Al Maktoum...:)you should know it:)
Are you training there?

Brice, you're not quite right. The ban does not apply to pics of academy aircraft. No, I don't train here, my TR does not coincide with them and we have FFS at home. My crew brought the cargo here and I have friends who train here so came to see. As for the prohibitions in the Emirates, everything is relative ... a year ago, I took a photo here with Mariam Al Mansouri without any problems. It all depends on the circumstances :)
Well, I think it goes beyond this thread.