• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Tommy

View attachment 10875

Pretty much the opposite of shearling weather here in the land of endless summer. But I'm excited about finally completing my late war Pacific ensemble.

Trousers are cheapo thrift store khakis, I would go with originals but I beat my trousers up and spill too much on them to wear them in good conscience. If anyone could point me in the direction of good repros ...

https://www.historypreservation.com...-1942-u-s-army-khaki-trousers-qm-spec-no-19c/
I'd highly recommend these first ones

https://www.smwholesaleusa.com/shop-us/wwii-us-1941-khaki-service-trousers-nw74a
https://www.wwiiimpressions.com/products/743

If you want cheap and cheerful, but less accurate Stan Ray/ Earls Apparel Military Chino. All of these might be a shock compared to what your used to. But people wore their trousers much more loose and much higher waisted then. I've spent a lot of money getting to the stage where I've found trousers I'm happy with and learnt if you want to look like the pictures from an era, trousers are as crucial as the shirts/ jackets/ etc.

I'm pretty into the rockabilly scene, particularly earlier Rhythm n' Blues/ Jump Blues and so on, as well as 30s-50s style in general. I very, very rarely dress in full military gear. But if I want to truly feel like I'm dressed like the era's I'm interested in, you have to get all the details right.

B-Man2

29BE36EF-061C-4355-8558-36C0E39F1909.jpeg
Cool morning here in Florida just right for a lightweight L2A repro.

falcon_ib

I'm pretty into the rockabilly scene, particularly earlier Rhythm n' Blues/ Jump Blues and so on, as well as 30s-50s style in general. I very, very rarely dress in full military gear. But if I want to truly feel like I'm dressed like the era's I'm interested in, you have to get all the details right.

Thanks for the links Tommy. I find myself to be very detail-oriented as well, it's just difficult to fully immerse myself in the era while balancing a budget.

I'm a huge rockabilly fan as well, the next piece of my impression will be a '32 Ford lowboy !! Maybe someday :rolleyes:

Evan

Tommy

Go a size up on the Stan Ray's then? Also there's loads of really great vintage in Cali still right? And you seem lucky enough to be slim enough to fit some of the original gear or the quality later stuff!

Technonut2112

Can't seen to catch a day not overcast lately... Here's the best I can do ATM with my recent 5-Star Leather rendition of a vintage Field & Stream (Gordon & Ferguson) 'Leather Windbreaker':

DSCF0605 (2).jpg

Had some unruly hair in the back this morning, but this shows the jacket well (Although there's a lot of nice grain throughout which isn't being picked-up):

DSCF0611 (2).jpg

The jacket is made from some very decent IMO 1.2mm goat. Quite substantial, yet supple. It will take a bit of break-in. From just going by some saved photos, I think that 5-Star captured what I liked about the original, with a couple of twists of their own added. Here's pics of the vintage original:

il_570xN.901749006_gv6j.jpg

il_570xN.901748960_rppw.jpg

il_570xN.901749002_aecn.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Can't seen to catch a day not overcast lately... Here's the best I can do ATM with my recent 5-Star Leather rendition of a vintage Field & Stream (Gordon & Ferguson) 'Leather Windbreaker':

View attachment 10955

Had some unruly hair in the back this morning, but this shows the jacket well (Although there's a lot of nice grain throughout which isn't being picked-up):

View attachment 10958

The jacket is made from some very decent IMO 1.2mm goat. Quite substantial, yet supple. It will take a bit of break-in. From just going by some saved photos, I think that 5-Star captured what I liked about the original, with a couple of twists of their own added. Here's pics of the vintage original:

View attachment 10952
View attachment 10953
View attachment 10954

Nice one!

Well basically it seems like a 2nd version tanker jacket made in leather to me ...

Fit looks spot on - would you mind if I asked Shawn for a jacket in the same style?

Technonut2112

Nice one!

Well basically it seems like a 2nd version tanker jacket made in leather to me ...

Fit looks spot on - would you mind if I asked Shawn for a jacket in the same style?

Thanks! :) Yes, they have managed my EXACT requested measurements for 4 jackets now... Of course I don't mind if you get one made for yourself. Since the inside of the jacket couldn't be seen from pics, Shawn had a full-length interior wind flap installed, kind of B-15 style. I didn't think I'd like it, but it does make it a true ' Leather Windbreaker', and I do like it now. You may want that either cut-down some like a G-1, or eliminated completely.. They did a great job making the trim around the zipper tight, but not too tight. I think it would do fine to keep wind out by it's self..

B-Man2

View attachment 10955

View attachment 10958

View attachment 10952
View attachment 10953
View attachment 10954
Techno
This is a cool jacket. It’s away from the A2 mold but still looks like a vintage flight jacket .
Your amassing a nice collection of jackets for sure. Congrats!

Last edited: