• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Flightengineer

Agreed, that's a very sweet photo! :) And a nice jacket too, it's in really good condition I see.

Thanks,
About jacket...yes, this old lady is in great shape, but soon it will be necessary to change the knitwear (now I choose between Larry and MASH, the price with shipping is the same for my city).

D97x7

ELC A-1, out in the rain
ResizerImage1323X2179.jpg

B-Man2

And that’s how to treat a jacket to get the desired effect we all keep struggling to achieve.
Nicely done!

Technonut2112

Finally, some cooler temps this morning. :) Wearing my new made-to-measure 'Waldo Pepper' jacket from 5-Star Leather. It's a bit overcast, but these pics give an idea of the overall look and fit (5-Star PRECISELY nailed all of my requested measurements ;) ).

This one was also customized to better represent the actual film jacket's pocket size compared to their stock version. I supplied some pics from the movie, and requested the pocket size be reduced, and the pocket flaps reshaped to closely resemble the pics.. I am VERY pleased with how it turned-out. :cool: The goatskin is of nice quality, and is supple, yet tough. I'm planning to post a full review soon, and I'll be sure to include more detailed pics in better lighting then. I REALLY am impressed with the quality, construction, and level of service provided by 5-Star (A special thanks to Shawn ;):)) for the inexpensive prices:

DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0601.JPG

Last edited:

B-Man2

Techno
You’ve mention that the quality of the jacket was exceptional for the price paid.
Would it be appropriate to ask you what the price point is for a jacket ?

MeachamLake

Trying on an Eastman M422a that arrived in the mail yesterday! Size 46R. Fits well as is, but I would prefer some extra length on the sleeves and body, so I'm returning it to get a slightly longer version made up to collect at the pop up shop in November! :) Who else will be going?

Pricey - even more so these days - but 100% worth the money still in my book. A completely different fit, look and feel to the A-2 - it feels nicely snug when you try an M422a/G-1 on, whereas most A2s can feel a bit shapeless.

IMG-7063.jpg

Technonut2112

Techno
You’ve mention that the quality of the jacket was exceptional for the price paid.
Would it be appropriate to ask you what the price point is for a jacket ?

I made the purchase on eBay for $140.00 USD, which included DHL shipping to my door within a week. There is usually an up-charge for customization's ($30.00 USD), but since I purchased a couple of other jackets previously, Shawn didn't charge any extra for the 'Waldo Pepper'. :eek::D The jacket has a comfortable 100% cotton lining, and even the pockets are lined in the same red cotton as well. ;) Needless to say, I've been VERY pleased with 5-Star. :)

EDIT: I was also considering a similar jacket to be made by Shaul Dover at U.S. Authentic for $625.00 USD, and to be totally honest, I can't see how it would have been all that much better in materials, construction, quality, and fit, than this 'Waldo Pepper' from 5-Star.. In fact, U.S. Authentic's 'Vintage Goatskin' used for their slim-fit 'Baron' A-1 (which I wanted customized into a 'Waldo Pepper'), looks quite similar to the goat I now have.. I can say that I've actually purchased $700.00 USD custom jackets from other makers which were NOT that much better than what I have here for $140.00 USD....

Last edited:

Brettafett

Trying on an Eastman M422a that arrived in the mail yesterday! Size 46R. Fits well as is, but I would prefer some extra length on the sleeves and body, so I'm returning it to get a slightly longer version made up to collect at the pop up shop in November! :) Who else will be going?
Pricey - even more so these days - but 100% worth the money still in my book. A completely different fit, look and feel to the A-2 - it feels nicely snug when you try an M422a/G-1 on, whereas most A2s can feel a bit shapeless.

They are great jackets, those ELC M422as, really are... but to be completely honest... Headwind's M422as beat it hands down. IMO... Cheaper also (but for how long).
I owned both, and was able to compare them side by side. Nothing wrong with the ELC, please don't misunderstand, top tier... just that the HW is on the next-rung-of-the-ladder so to speak.

I also went long on my ELC.

MeachamLake

@MeachamLake : nothing wrong with the length, nothing at all. I think it's spot on. Any longer than that and it would look a bit strange I think.

Yeah, it looks okay in the photo but the sleeves felt a smidgeon short and I want to take into account any shortening that will happen through creasing.

I also just prefer to have longer body lengths on my jackets in general - nothing more annoying than the back hem riding up when you're moving around! :)