• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

JonnyCrow

It's funny, I have no connection with Ireland whatsoever yet I'm feeling a strange compulsion to purchase a bottle of Irish whiskey for Friday. Any excuse I suppose. :D
Haha I'm first born, both Irish parents from Derry, still family there, if you can find it grab a bottle of Bushmills ;)

JonnyCrow

My wife is half Irish and I’m about a third Irish but neither of us drink anymore :confused:
My wife is Spanish and I'm registered as a Irish citizen in Madrid, be silly not to be there at the first ever Irish parade sponsored by Guinness and Irish week in Madrid, I keep telling the wife I'm not going to drink anymore after the last hangover but I'm Irish she's Spanish and her dad owns a vineyard haha it seems impossible sometimes but I feel for you

Pa12

My wife is Spanish and I'm registered as a Irish citizen in Madrid, be silly not to be there at the first ever Irish parade sponsored by Guinness and Irish week in Madrid, I keep telling the wife I'm not going to drink anymore after the last hangover but I'm Irish she's Spanish and her dad owns a vineyard haha it seems impossible sometimes but I feel for you
My wife is half Irish and half Ojibwa. Not profiling here but she should be a big booze hound. Her parents were, so maybe that put her off. As for me, not sure. Just went off the stuff. Maybe just too much of it in my younger days.;)

JonnyCrow

My wife is half Irish and half Ojibwa. Not profiling here but she should be a big booze hound. Her parents were, so maybe that put her off. As for me, not sure. Just went off the stuff. Maybe just too much of it in my younger days.;)
Haha so she'd love it here, first nation wife, respect, years ago met a girl one of the six she was Seneca, I did too much also when younger, Grans funeral was two days haha, having a family shindig, if you don't drink you just don't go :D

B-Man2

Great day today!
“Young Medic” and I took a day trip to the 8th Air Force Museum located right outside of Savannah Georgia in the small town of Pooler Georgia. ( More on that in another thread) .
As a tribute I wore an original WWII United Sheeplined A2 jacket .
AB5B052C-4C0B-4E12-9BAB-33378A6B1ABB.jpeg
2DCD8D5D-1118-4046-8981-421D44059BA3.jpeg

B-Man2

I know the larger version of that memorial to the 398th very well, it stands beside the Woodsman pub where the base used to be at Nuthampstead. I had some very good veteran friends who served there.
Steve
Check out this stained glass window in the Chapel here. It’s the church that you lived near located next to the runway that the B-17s took off from. Isn’t it?
D07EE3A4-D723-4E4E-A2AA-B320C3945D86.png

Micawber

Steve
Check out this stained glass window in the Chapel here. It’s the church that you lived near located next to the runway. View attachment 101359

Great isn't it.

As an aside a loaded '17 crashed immediately after take off behind the church at Anstey just off the base late in 1944. Read the story here...

Here's my late friend Len, an ex 398th bombardier photographed by me beside the memorial at Nuthampstead during one of his stays with us back in the mid '90's. He shot quite a bit of colour footage around the base and in combat that is often used in doco's and was being used at the Mighty 8th Museum itself too. I have his B-15.

Len at memorial.jpg

Last edited: