• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Your WORST Leather Jacket Buying Experience?

lipmann01

It was a 1940’s Sportclad jacket that I got off Greedbay. It smelled like dead rat combined with homeless people. I guess there’re countless wearers before me. The stench was hard to describe. In one word it was DISGUSTING. Zippers were broken and the lining was shredded. Lots of dirt inside the hand warmer pockets. STIFF A** Leather like a cardboard. Seller described the jacket as “In Great Shape”. What was the guy thinking right?

Luckily I was able to return it. What’s your worst jacket buying experience? I don’t know if the thread has been done before but I’m intrigued to hear from y'all. Happy Friday!

CBI

not sure but I remember buying an original A-2 from someone on VLJ based on the seller's photos. A nice, clean looking original Aero, well worn but pretty nice. When the jacket arrived it had a patch and name tag sewn on it. The seller didn't tell me and didn't think it was an issue. At first told me he would not take a return but eventually did.

fighterjock

It wasn't leather, but equally disappointing! Thought I was getting early L-2 Korean Era nylon jacket, You know the olive drab "beauty" before they went with sage green, but got this instead, to make it worse it didn't fit either! Double Whammy!

Attachments

• Little Mermaid Flight Jacket.jpg
    Little Mermaid Flight Jacket.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Little Mermaid Flight Jacket back.jpg
    Little Mermaid Flight Jacket back.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 271
  • zeke l-2.JPG
    zeke l-2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 197
Last edited:

fighterjock

It was a 1940’s Sportclad jacket that I got off Greedbay. It smelled like dead rat combined with homeless people. I guess there’re countless wearers before me. The stench was hard to describe. In one word it was DISGUSTING. Zippers were broken and the lining was shredded. Lots of dirt inside the hand warmer pockets. STIFF A** Leather like a cardboard. Seller described the jacket as “In Great Shape”. What was the guy thinking right?

Luckily I was able to return it. What’s your worst jacket buying experience? I don’t know if the thread has been done before but I’m intrigued to hear from y'all. Happy Friday!
I'm a homeless person, and I resent that! And at times my acquaintances say I smell like a dead rat in other words "Disgusting". Thank you for returning my "Great Shape Jacket", I really regretted selling it in the first place, but I was hungry that week!

Last edited:

Pilot

An A-2 from a US maker with a “ rigger tape” in it, hiding a hole... The maker did not mention ...the hole behind the “ as per so called originals” culprit tape. (This kind of fraudulent behavior surely can kill a business nowadays). I posted all about it, a while ago. Re-sold it here for less than 25% of its original paid price and this immediately after I opened the shipping box (for days no takers here... who wonders? ). Never again such an experience. If something like this happens now, I will let my lawyers in the US sort it out...

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I don’t remember monstrous disappointments, but once I received from one of my American friend issued G-1 jacket, the tag was size 42, however when I opened the parcel I realized that the jacket is very small. Real measurements showed that it was not 42 or even 40, but rather 38. It's a pity, but I had to sell it, it had a beautiful squadron patch and in general the jacket was in excellent condition. I still keep photos of the measurements of this jacket that I did before sell it.

jack31916

Bought an Irvin jacket once which wasn't really expensive ( 350 euros) and it was send to me by post. It was packed in a carbagebag and that's exactly where it belonged! All fur felt off as if it was moulting and soon after that the whole jacket came apart. Should have sold it in parts but was so disappointed and angry that I just threw it away. Should have asked for more info and better pics I guess

Last edited:

Rutger

I sure hope I am the only one on this world owning an old Eastman A2 of which the leather is so much rubber-like that it can be used as a rain coat. Not a single drop sticks to it, and I feel it can be stretched to twice the size and when released it goes back to the original size.

MikeyB-17

Struggling to remember any real howlers-I once bought a D-1 from Aero which was a limited run sale page job from a batch of sheepskin they’d found. It was very soft-too soft IMHO, I didn’t have much confidence in its longevity, and the collar flaps hung down like spaniel’s ears. I returned it, and to be fair they let me use it as credit against my beloved B-3.

robrinay

My first ever A2 -an early Aero Leather bought from an antique shop and when I got it home discovered it had the stinkiest armpits you could ever hate to smell. I tried all the usual remedies over several days and in the end soaked the lining with neat white (Clear/spirit) vinegar, l let it soak for half an hour and then hand washed it in detergent for delicates. It worked phew!

Tom Bowers

it was the late 1990s maybe early 2000s and since I was a kid seeing their late night ads, I always wanted to visit "The cockpit" store in NYC and buy an A-2

Back then there really weren't any other options for authentic A-2s

I had bought my first Avirex back in 1985, at a local Army/Navy store but I wanted to shop and try on the jackets at the original store

I found the store on Broadway, but a lot had happened since the "Top Gun" bubble had burst

The store was full of "hip Hop" street wear with flashy colors and gaudy "Avirex" logos but no authentic flight jackets to be found

I finally found a small room off to the side, or upstairs can't remember which, that had a small selection of flight jackets but the quality had fallen so far, so so far,

My disappointment was huge, and it still is

Tom Bowers

zoomer

I can't call it the worst experience - I was treated very well thruout - but perhaps the saddest was waiting for an A-2 with some special measurements, that arrived several sizes too small. The factory (ESL, if that) just tossed aside the measurements sent by the sales manager and sent a standard size - not even the size ordered. It was beautifully made, but the only things that fit me were the sleeves...and the size tag.

Last edited:

ButteMT61

I've had in my past way more disappointing dates than jackets.
Honestly, I spend so much time asking questions, etc. that I've never been burned on a jacket to date.
Sure, some are less awesome than others, and they get flipped, but nothing like being ripped off.
Forums help a ton as do taking time to research the product and the seller!

stanier

I think I'm having it now! I want to order a Platon Dubow but can't get a reply to email. I really hope the team at Dubow Mfg are ok, I really do. Life is difficult for many, many people.

All I need is an email saying "thanks for your interest, we're fine, all is good and if you order a jacket it will likely be ready in x months". That's it, then I would likely order dependent on the x.

Even maybe change the message to all on the automated reply I do get.

If the team can't reply because all is not ok for whatever reason, I wish them all the best and I hope things get back on track soon.

B-Man2

By using Pay Pal or your credit card you should be covered for the money if something goes wrong, and if this doesn’t generate a response in a few days, then that’s always an option if you decide to change your mind.

stanier

By using Pay Pal or your credit card you should be covered for the money if something goes wrong, and if this doesn’t generate a response in a few days, then that’s always an option if you decide to change your mind.

Thanks B-Man-2, it's on Paypal so all good. And I've got the Bill Kelso receipt so all good on that front too. I'd actually like to get the jacket and I hope I get some sort of notification, otherwise how long do I leave it? :confused: