• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is this patch ?

Geeboo

Can someone tell me what is
pat.jpg
this patch pls ?

zoomer

OK, I started with the motto POSSE ET FACERE ("to be able and to do"). That led to a red herring as it was only on google as the name of a P-47 belonging to the CO of the 55th Fighter Group. This is not their patch or their motto.

On this page it's listed as the 3d Staff Squadron, out of Sherman Field, Ft. Leavenworth, KS. (And who knows, maybe Col. Righetti from the 55th FG served with them for awhile.) It was a base maintenance unit which operated the field and provided various aircraft for the use of AAF officers attending Leavenworth's Command & General Staff School. Source

Here is the DUI (a pin-on miniature of a patch) for the squadron.
Maybe the patch was copied from a DUI. On other patches the lines inside the wing are red.
1_6014305ae528bc2deab9a8c5f9d43fe6.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    397.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Geeboo

I need help - again ! cos I want to retro a A-1 jacket. These are magnified images
A1 patch.jpg
from blurred photos of A1 jackets; can someone identify what are they pls ?
A1 patch1.jpg

zoomer

1. 20th BS, 2nd BG

2. 95th PS, 17th PG, during A-1 era (became attack sq in 1935, bomb sq in '39!)

3. can't recognize, rest of pic may help

Last edited:

Geeboo

A1 patch3.jpg
Tks again:) This is the full pic of #3

A1 patch2.jpg

Can U guess why the pilot is wearing a squadron patch that according to wiki, ceased to exist in 1919 - [95th Aero Squadron = 20 August 1917 – 18 March 1919] where I understand A1 jkt was from 1927 onwards ?

OR the jackets are not A1 - cos no snap bottom buttons & only 1 loop button at knit collar - what is it called then ? Is A1 supposed to be the earliest military flight jkt ? Obviously they are military pilots, not civilian pilots.

Last edited:

zoomer

Can U guess why the pilot is wearing a squadron patch that according to wiki, ceased to exist in 1919 - [95th Aero Squadron = 20 August 1917 – 18 March 1919] where I understand A1 jkt was from 1927 onwards ?
The 95th was deactivated, then reactivated. During the late 20s-early 30s it was a fighter unit.

OR the jackets are not A1 - cos no snap bottom buttons & only 1 loop button at knit collar - what is it called then ?
It's still an A-1. Just an early variant of one. It and the Navy's 37J1 were - as fas as I know - the first issued flight jackets in the US military. Before this pilots supplied their own, altho I suppose the Air Service (as it then was) had guidelines.

Geeboo

No, I have just that.
Regarding the lower buttoned A-1, what "version" is that ? [ If as Ken said, pocket overlap with waistband is 2nd version, higher pocket is 3rd version]

zoomer

I suppose it would be the 1st version. Those "angled" collars don't seem to have carried over.

zoomer

The mystery patch might be the 12th Observation Sq. Lots of variations, but typically an eagle on a bomb on some sort of orange background (which would look dark on old b/w film). They spent the 20s & much of the 30s at Kelly Field.
NASM-7E183E5F89D02_001.jpg 8371160676_a2d4dd8811_h.jpg images.jpeg

unclegrumpy

My initial guess was the 12th Observation Squadron as well, but as a stylized interpretation of their unit crest (DUI). The patch at the beginning of this thread is another example of a unit crest patch. One reason this style patch was worn is they were officially approved designs. However, designs changed, and the unit designations did too, so sometimes that comes into play as well.

The picture quality is so poor that it could be something else too, but it does look close to this goose...or maybe a sparrow or owl diving in the opposite direction.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collecti...rvation-squadron-united-states-army-air-corps
NASM-762A8F8F1A9D2_001-000001.jpg

Geeboo

Do U know of any patches that has got the shape of my hand drawing - that is what I guess the patch is
20180707_033723.jpg

unclegrumpy

Question...the photo with the mystery patch looks cropped...were there guys wearing other patches next to him?