• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this bag in the USAAF ?

Micawber

With production to what appears to be a standard pattern and in such numbers and spread in usage I doubt they were locally rigger produced. If photo evidence suggests use mainly by the 8th AF production could have been by any number of manufacturers in the UK or at one of the major repair depots using materials and fastenings sourced over here. I do wonder why bother with making something like that when there were no shortage of issue items - a check of the Class 13 Catalogue of issue items listed might throw some light on the matter. This is not a research black hole I want to go down lol.

Although not something I have ever paid much attention to I'm not sure if I have seen identical bags used by the RAF but will now keep my eyes peeled.

If not a British large pack they certainly appear to be based on that pattern with detail differences.

ausreenactor

The corners on the flap are clearly not tied to the P-37, P-44 or even the WW1 P-08...

Had a bit of a dive into 'King & Country' to see if there was a bigger vehicle pack... Brits love folded corners. US preferred rounded corners...

Not sure if reverse lend lease pouch could have been a modified pattern for cost savings...

Officer Dibley

Grey/Blue tinge would be RAF blanco....

Underneath would be the original khaki....
Incorrect statement. RAF specific webbing was blue from the M1925 pattern onwards. I have examples in my collection. This is how incorrect "facts" become truth. Like The Ghost Of Kiev. Someone with some authority gets it wrong & no-one dare question them for fear of the mob descending. A fear i do not have.
And beware shingles masquerading as monkey pox ...

Attachments

• 61D64B1B-4286-41FE-A838-28DE6E95F08A.jpeg
    61D64B1B-4286-41FE-A838-28DE6E95F08A.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 103

ausreenactor

Incorrect statement. RAF specific webbing was blue from the M1925 pattern onwards. I have examples in my collection. This is how incorrect "facts" become truth. Like The Ghost Of Kiev. Someone with some authority gets it wrong & no-one dare question them for fear of the mob descending. A fear i do not have.
FB_IMG_1653392078698.jpg

Cocker

For fuck's sake, stop polluting everything with politics and conspiracy theories...

And no, those are not P37. I'm yet to see a P37 bag without cut corners and with straps sewn on top of the flap instead of inside.

Hilarious. Like there would be a load of the enemy's bags in use in the UK as well as permitted to be used. The OP pics have a mix of P37 large & small packs. Nothing exciting or exotic. Better than the musette bag.
Hilarious too ! You should to better see the photos I posted and I never said that it was this bag but that it looks like …

littlebuddy

Just looking at the photos again , one shows the typical shoulder attachment arrangement for British made webbing .
How many variants of the 37 pattern or earlier patterns of webbing were there ?

Yockers

If you check out the karkeeweb.com website it's the go to source of information regarding british webbing from before ww1 right through to the end of ww2, all the different designs and manufacturers, design mods, and covers just about everything relating to webbing loads of images.

Micawber

The straps appear to be sewn on the inside thus not the same as those in your earlier images.

With a due respect why the pressing desire to discover information on this type of bag?