• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this bag in the USAAF ?

By regularly examining photos of different Bomb Groups taken in Europe, I realized the presence, quite regularly, of a bag whose buckles are reminiscent of those used in the British army.
Do you know the name of this bag and its use? Is it a US made one ? British-made? Or other ? Maybe a wide pack? :D

Thanks for your help

On the photos previously uploaded, the two front straps seem to be sewn above the flap whereas on the large British packs they are sewn below the flap

And unlike British made M36 haversacks, the corners appear square and not rounded

B-Man2

7634FE86-4121-4347-A820-24CAAED89F84.png

I’m going to say it’s this m-37 British bag . Check the buckles out
6DEC249F-627F-451A-B195-330A31C7125A.png
2BD8253B-5FA9-47C2-B44F-560327EDD40F.png

Enigma1938

The corners of the m37 or m44 bags flaps are different to the ones showed in the photos from the thread starter.

B-Man2

I think the corners of these bags look different because the bags in the WWII photos were stuffed full whereas these bags are lightly filled.

Cocker

How would that change the shape of the flap corners, Burt? On some of the original pictures, you can clearly see a straight stitch line going from top to bottom, following the border of the flap.

Edit: and indeed, the straps are sewn on the top of the flap instead of inside of it on the british haversacks. So yeah, defo british made, but not a haversack.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for your answers but it’s not this kind of bag, as said the straps are sewn on the top of the flap … Maybe a rigger made ? But there is a lot of them in different bomb groups and I saw them in Lead Crews photos :D

B-Man2

How would that change the shape of the flap corners, Burt? On some of the original pictures, you can clearly see a straight stitch line going from top to bottom, following the border of the flap.

Edit: and indeed, the straps are sewn on the top of the flap instead of inside of it on the british haversacks. So yeah, defo british made, but not a haversack.
I was looking at two of the original photos and the bags in those photos looked different. I’ll post both photos below.
FF6A16FB-E128-49A6-B9F4-807130B0847C.png
F11A3FB2-6598-4571-AE56-2602A26E897A.png

So my thoughts were that maybe the bags looked different because they were stuffed with gear and the shape became distorted . As I now look at these two photos , they look like two different bags. Also the buckles on the bags are different in various photos. For example these are different
FF6A16FB-E128-49A6-B9F4-807130B0847C.png
D8EC3DEE-5D63-48D4-A5B5-EC16104175E9.png

Last edited:

CombatWombat

I've come across these in my militaria collecting.....I think they were called "gas mask haversack" or some stupid name since it's definitely not that.....since they have "lift the dot" closures rather than the strap and buckle closure these have.....
Probably either rigger/the tailor just outside the base gates made or some Yank company did a interpretation of the P-37 haversack but did a warsave measure so it took less skilled machinists less time to see together

leper-colony

P37 small packs had solid fittings, while the P37 large pack had the cutout in the fitting.

The corners are harder to explain. Some of the pics are hard for my eye to read.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I googled “British M-37 Large Pack” and a wealth of info and photos popped up. I’m pretty sure the bag we’re talking about here is in one of those photos .
Once you get there also click on “Images”
Here’s one that could be related
917CD283-16EC-4323-9C75-A79592E72F88.png

If it can help, this soldier is Chester W Greenhalgh and was Radio Operator so there is maybe a link with his job

Attachments

• C06E107C-A400-4416-ACEF-E8972EECBC43.jpeg
    C06E107C-A400-4416-ACEF-E8972EECBC43.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 98