• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this bag in the USAAF ?

Yockers

I must admit that this bag has been doing my head in.. the bag has all the hallmarks of a p37 british large pack with its 2" web straps on the back and brass quick release buckles on the front but the square corners on the flap and straps sewn on the outside has thrown me, the only conclusion I can come to is that they were made to a special order with one of the wartime suppliers, maybe one day a survivor will turn up on the tinternt for all to see. I did see a list of suppliers of web kit a few years ago and there were dozens of them,

Yockers

Call me sad but I couldn't let the bag puzzle rest..so I've been looking for p37 large pack, I've waited until a reasonable price one came around, evil bay prices are crazy but someone I know had some at a sensible price, anyhow, left side is original, right side corner stitching unpicked as was the strap, maybe mystery solved..
16684537607943900584260312190570.jpg
16684537607943900584260312190570.jpg

Hello,

Thanks for you answer but that’s not the good one …

The strap is not sewn in the right place. In the photos at the beginning of the post, the straps are very close to the edge whereas on the model shown the strap is more in the centre.

Attachments

• C526CD21-17DB-4BCC-AB44-C793B584626E.jpeg
    C526CD21-17DB-4BCC-AB44-C793B584626E.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 66
  • C63FE7F5-3775-4402-8136-5D2FDF9BE464.jpeg
    C63FE7F5-3775-4402-8136-5D2FDF9BE464.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 62

warguy

By regularly examining photos of different Bomb Groups taken in Europe, I realized the presence, quite regularly, of a bag whose buckles are reminiscent of those used in the British army.
Do you know the name of this bag and its use? Is it a US made one ? British-made? Or other ? Maybe a wide pack? :D

Thanks for your help

On the photos previously uploaded, the two front straps seem to be sewn above the flap whereas on the large British packs they are sewn below the flap

And unlike British made M36 haversacks, the corners appear square and not rounded

So there is a listing on ebay that popped up this morning. This listing is for a bag identified as the E3 Bomardiers bag. Has extensive nomenclature inside the flap, there are some differences but a lot of similarities to the ones in the ohotos. It would make a lot of sense since it seems to be a specific AAF item. It does have rounded flap corners and all those in the photos appear square, dont know if it is a manufactures variation or not. I cannot find any information in my references on the E3 Bomardiers bag that looks like that But this may be a start. I am sorry, I cannot seem to copy the photos from the listing into my files or onto this site directly but here is a link. If someone else can do that it would be helpful. Kevin

JonnyCrow

By regularly examining photos of different Bomb Groups taken in Europe, I realized the presence, quite regularly, of a bag whose buckles are reminiscent of those used in the British army.
Do you know the name of this bag and its use? Is it a US made one ? British-made? Or other ? Maybe a wide pack? :D

Thanks for your help

On the photos previously uploaded, the two front straps seem to be sewn above the flap whereas on the large British packs they are sewn below the flap

And unlike British made M36 haversacks, the corners appear square and not rounded

Pic 3 and 4 what's the jacket with the fur collar?