• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the warmest jacket you own? What is your ideal extreme cold weather jacket?

mulceber

Here’s my contribution: ELC RW B-3.
41D2BC6C-7F82-42D4-A3F1-691A977A4B71.jpeg

Spitfireace

Except for my original Irvin, it's the original Thunder Bay, or so called by Aero Leather Clothing. Restored by them, this late forties example has some poor leather spots, but the lining and zipper and collar are fully restored. Sat in the closet for twenty years, I had a choice of either restoring it and making use of it, or having it sit forever.

Attachments

• Thunder Bay.jpg
    Thunder Bay.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 149
  • liner2.jpg
    liner2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 168

Ken at Aero Leather

Except for my original Irvin, it's the original Thunder Bay, or so called by Aero Leather Clothing. Restored by them, this late forties example has some poor leather spots, but the lining and zipper and collar are fully restored. Sat in the closet for twenty years, I had a choice of either restoring it and making use of it, or having it sit forever.

Couldn't remember your VLJ Moniker

I do hope you are gedtting some wear out of yours.
I need to fit new pocket linings in mine before the snow starts to fall in Scotland

Spitfireace

Couldn't remember your VLJ Moniker

I do hope you are gedtting some wear out of yours.
I need to fit new pocket linings in mine before the snow starts to fall in Scotland
Yes, Ken, I just gave it a treatment of Lexol yesterday, and it seems not too bad. I'm wearing it at the moment just to get it ready. It's pretty cold here in Vancouver. Or what we call cold at 4 degrees Celsius. I was up in Edinburgh last October, and actually was standing at a traffic roundabout, there was a sign said Galashiels 50 km or something like that. I didn't really have the time as I only was there for the two days. Saw Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile. Pubs were great, as is the music.

mulceber

Looks great, the cracking on the finish looks like it needs some treatment of some sort. I use lanolin based paste.

Nah, that's just Eastman's broken-grain finish. It looked like that out of the box, and I can tell you, my reaction was the same as yours when I first saw it a year ago. I'll make a mental note though to pick up some lanolin once it's had a few years of wear on it.

mr_lits

Realistically what I like to wear and what is practical in Alaska can be two different things. I like to wear winter shearlings for daily use. I get a whole lot of wear out of my B3 and B6 jackets to and from work and out and about. But if I am really headed out into the bush I want my Feathered Friends down parka.. it is not very fashionable but it will keep me alive in the middle of winter where temps frequently get down to -20F
IMG_7640.jpg

MaydayWei

Realistically what I like to wear and what is practical in Alaska can be two different things. I like to wear winter shearlings for daily use. I get a whole lot of wear out of my B3 and B6 jackets to and from work and out and about. But if I am really headed out into the bush I want my Feathered Friends down parka.. it is not very fashionable but it will keep me alive in the middle of winter where temps frequently get down to -20F
.View attachment 47231

Just thinking on it, that's one helluva colour combination.
Caramel on White?

mr_lits

I sold it a year or so ago. I miss that jacket but I am hoping that I might find another early B3 variant to scratch my itch...

It a copy by RMNZ of the 1937 B3 pattern... they are some of the coolest B3s variants. Here are a couple of photos of originals to that contract.
s-l500.jpg
3EFE2588-E54A-4674-A903-7D0250C54C20.jpeg

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

If snow is involved, then I would recommend you the N-3B, this jacket has been used by the USAF for over 50 years (with some modifications). It was designed for Extreme Cold Weather and they do theIr job. Personally, I think leather jackets are cool but they are not my first option if there is a chance of getting wet.
9C023CC6-84ED-47FA-BD36-D62A412D99D0.jpeg
97F109A4-A0ED-448A-A6FD-F1BB782FA70C.jpeg
90AA42DF-2185-4309-AA6B-BA97D5DDD36B.jpeg

33-1729

This one. My father got this sixty some years ago while at the Naval Academy. He said it kept him warm on the Bering Sea during winter time and I believe him. Above -20C (-10F) or so I start to sweat in it, so it’s only for the coldest days. It’s got a wool outer layer, leather inner layer, then another wool layer …. Maybe something else, then an interior lining. It feels like it weighs twenty pounds, but it works and no need to choose another. Even has a sword slit.

Navel Academy.JPG