• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What in heaven has happen to our great little forum

Cliff

This has been an interesting read. I too used to visit the forum several times a day and thoroughly enjoyed the topics and the amazing knowledge of many of our members. I occasionally contributed posts and feel I made some good friends who shared a common interest. Several times I met up with a few of them at various Duxford Airshows .

I was, as we say in the UK a bit of an aviation/military "anorak" so went to many shows and exhibitions. But life changes, I stopped flying when I retired seven years ago. Private flying is far too expensive in Europe and to watch others fly when I couldn't became upsetting so I distanced myself from all things aviation.

I still loved my jacket collection but I could no longer buy and sell as I once had. New jackets (the ones worth buying) became far too costly for me, and I suspect for many others. So of course good second hand jackets became less available as well.

At around the same time some members on this forum started voicing opinions on other member's jacket related business plans & developments which I felt became personal and at times down right nasty. At the end of the day I came to this forum to share a hobby not to listen to others take on the world. So my visits to VLJ started to fall away until I only visited around once or twice a month and even then rarely posted.

I hope this forum will live on, it's been a good place for me. . It will change and evolve into something different to what it was. New members will join and older ones will take a back seat or fade away. I actually find myself visiting more often than I have in the recent past. It's life, its the way it is.

Happy Leather Hunting !

Pete17

I think if we had a Tapatalk app option it would encourage a bit more traffic. Everyone seems to live on their iPhones these days.

This forum is a wonderful resource, let's keep it going.

Pete17

Just found VLJ on Tapatalk! Stupid me was putting a space between the words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfvb1225

Being new to this forum several months ago, I was surprised to see it mostly quiet and got the impression most people had moved on to a more popular one. I'm glad to see some signs of life now.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

mindful

Due to the content being discussed on this thread, I thought I post a photo of a (new to me) another A2 which I have just purchased.

I've only got the one at the moment I'm afraid.

The jacket is a GW Dubow 20960 in russet horsehide size 46 with a NOS Triple marked Talon zipper to which this fit is trimmer than my GW Roughwear 27752 in the torso, anyway have a look and see what you all think.

That gw looks a perfect fit to me

Steve27752

Being new to this forum several months ago, I was surprised to see it mostly quiet and got the impression most people had moved on to a more popular one. I'm glad to see some signs of life now.

There is not a more popular one.

jfvb1225

There is not a more popular one.
Not that I've found either. I belong to some Facebook groups for other topics but am really tired of Facebook so I didn't really look there. I settled on TFL. I'm particularly collecting motorcycle jackets and that topic seems especially silent everywhere.

Last edited:

colekwok

The season is back, I am starting to see a bit of activity over here (and there).

But I still wonder after years of joining VLJ (and reading), why are we so focused in flight jackets? The Moto jacket section has been statics for ages. Are they out of fashion ;)?

Steve27752

The season is back, I am starting to see a bit of activity over here (and there).

But I still wonder after years of joining VLJ (and reading), why are we so focused in flight jackets? The Moto jacket section has been statics for ages. Are they out of fashion ;)?
Possibly, because we are mainly interested Flight Jackets.

HackerF15E

I still enjoy reading the posts here. I guess I just don't have much interesting jacket-related stuff to contribute.

AF

Atticus, you'll be happy to know that G-1 you sold me a few years ago (the one with the replaced mouton collar) saw combat service with me over Afghanistan in 2011, and although I'm now-retired from the Air Force, it is still my go-to chilly weather jacket. It gets occasional wear when I do general aviation flying, and has been on a couple warbird flights in a B-25 in the last few years, too.

Jason

I just noticed something... where has the 'Life beyond the internet' sub-section gone to? Was it considered too irrelevant? Too controversial maybe? Some of VLJ's most defining conversations happened in there.
Sure, the hat place offers plenty of opportunity to talk about things beyond the core scope of that forum, but I'm not a member over there. Perhaps a little more activity could be injected here by seeing the return of a "life, the universe & everything" section.

Peter Graham

But I still wonder after years of joining VLJ (and reading), why are we so focused in flight jackets?

Not all of us mate. I much prefer field jackets, deck jackets, tankers etc but I've been here for a long time and they seem to put up with me. I've noticed an odd thing. In the old days when someone started a discussion, it tended to go on for many pages with lots of people chiming in with help or photos or info and would tend to go off on several interesting tangents. I've been following several potentially interesting threads recently and they have just dropped dead after a half a dozen or so posts. Either the knowledge has gone, which I don't really think it has, or people just can't be bothered. Strange. Ironically, this has been the longest thread in a very long time.

Roughwear

Peter, you make a really good point about the old style lengthy threads on VLJ. I agree, some people can't be bothered to post, especially as there are far more groups to post in these days. Moreover some of the more interesting characters are no longer members here.