• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What in heaven has happen to our great little forum

ButteMT61

The Cycle of life really. It'll regenerate again..in time.
I think that's true.
For me, not unlike many here, I have what I need for now and life has taken some turns that have me more focused on other priorities.
As Peter said, many don't have the income lying around they once did and given that the quality of this place has always been high, I don't want to just post a "I like your new jacket" post everywhere. The "Like" buttons help drive some of those posts down, which is good IMHO. I remember not too long ago the thought that this place lost all it's data/pics had everyone in a tizzy. I still come in here just about every morning before doing any sort of real work, and throughout the day. I've bought a couple second-hand jackets as I too avoid greedBay, and well, while some of the colorful characters are indeed gone, making the battle threads less common.

The format bothers me none. It's better software and once you get the hang of it, it's much more usable. I'd rather have the security of a modern forum (in many ways) than risk losing the records here and compromising people's info.

I didn't start the jacket thing personally until I was in my late 40's. Didn't give a hoot about them, sans loving seeing the stuff in films, etc. Now being in SoCal, I have to really force the issue as it's not a great place for heavy leather jackets! 7 years later, I'm still interested and love what I have, but I don't have the need to post in every threat that pops up. I think many here are the same. I've also got aging parents and grandkids that need my help, as well as an ever-more stressful job.

Carry on fellas. I still would rather share my morning coffee with you old farts (and no so old) than just about anyone...

derleicaman

I used to check in at least twice a day here. Not so much lately. Maybe its the time of year, being middle of summer. I do have several jackets I need to sell off, and have been debating on waiting until the cool weather comes.

On another note, I just saw a PM here from another member dating back to May. Had not seen it before and I am thinking it has to do with the new format. I think on the old one, you had to be logged in to see postings whereas now you don't. Didn't realize that and just now noticed his PM after logging in. OOOPS!

Glad to see some of the regular crowd still here. Would love to see things liven up a bit, though.

dmar836

Not currently adding to my collection unless something walks up to me. Thinking about doing an AAF display again but that's a lot of work. Recently retired so might do some sewing when I get time. Busy!
As for the negativity here, it's a worldwide popularity contest. Unfortunately, it seems to down another is paramount to being elevated oneself. Relativism, I suppose, and the internet makes it all too easy. But see what it brings? Remember, if we had let the naysayer's posts go, it could have died with the family intact. Most of us just had to take sides and weigh in keeping the negativity at the front of VLJ. Just gets too old to many of us. I do hope we rise again from the ashes. Wait till the 8th movie comes out!
JMO but I'm the leading expert of my opinion,
Dave

sloan1874

Mind you, even the Lounge is pretty slow at the moment - it's the time of year. I'm wearing my LB-2 most of the time, just to help weather the rain, the A-2s aren't getting much of a look-in.

sloan1874

VLJ is a fantastic archive for knowledge and images, but the decline in activity has been evident for a quite a while.

daw

I'm on here more than once a day most days. I hope it's here for the indefinite future. I've had flight jackets for 20 years but really only got the "bug" in the last year or two; in that time, the advice I've found has been invaluable. I've obviously been more of a lurker but will try to step up to the plate a little more.

Dennis

Stony

I have been absent from the forums for a while and that is due to two reasons. One is that I am very busy now running the softball umpires association in my area and the other is that my interests have moved towards Vietnam War items. I still love original flight jackets and will never lose interest in those. I am also more active in the fall/winter when softball is dormant. Keep it going as once "Masters of the Air" series comes out, there will be lots of activity and new members.

Monsoon

I check about once a day. I usually check the sections I'm interested in and see if there's anything new, so I can be here for only a few minutes some days.

As others have said, it's summer in the US. Where I'm at in PA, today it was around 95. Right now, I'm not too interested in leather jackets as much as I am in the other seasons.

And I have other interests to keep me busy. Hiking, biking, building models and running around with my daughters who are 3 and 5 take up a lot of my time. Especially the kiddos.

tibor

Pretty hot here too... I appreciate living vicariously through our British friends. Oshkosh is in a week and a half and it looks like it'll be boiling hot again. Hard to consider leather in 90+ degree heat.

galvestonokie

there is a way to fix our little forum. we can begin post more often: new jackets, old jackets, surprises with jackets. those of us who have been here a while can describe our journey with jackets. yes, our interests change. for example, some years ago, i saw a reference to watches on this forum. i remember thinking that any interest in watches was way too expensive for me. but now, after many years, am as interested in watches as i am in jackets.

by perspective is that, if you want a really cool jacket, it takes patience. i spent a few $$ along the way that some would considered wasted. i bought, and am still buying, some jackets that i didn't really like much once i saw, touched, tried on and smelled them.

for me, the best source is still this forum and ebay. over the past 20 years or so, i have purchased a number of G-1 jackets--original, issued jackets. and, i have never paid as much as some of our current, excellent providers charge for a new jacket. sometimes the vintage jackets need a good wash, leather conditioning, or replacement knits or collar. to me there's nothing quite like slipping on a leather jacket that feels like a great pair of weathered jeans.

join me in posting more often (with posts of substance)?

PS i remember a fellow named Skeeter, a bit of a curmudgeon at best, but he certainly kept things lively for a while.

MikeyB-17

I'm here every day, but I have to admit there's not often much new to see-sometimes only three or four new posts a day. I remember days when there were pages of new posts to wade through. I don't miss all the snapping and backbiting that's gone on in the past, but it is quiet around here. As previously mentioned, my interest in flight jackets has waned a bit, when we're talking £700+ for a new ELC A-2 (I paid £250 for my first one), then I'm not going to be buying one of those anytime soon, and certainly not an original either. I haven't given up hope of getting another new leather flight jacket, but when I'm not in a position to buy any it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up. I'm also not the aviation nut I once was, I'm still interested but I doubt I'll go to Duxford again for a long time. I'm not even bothering with my local show at RNAS Culdrose next week. Other things take over. The Facebook pages I'm subscribed to don't seem to have the community spirit we've enjoyed here, and I think it would be a shame if the forum died out in favour of those. I shall keep dropping in every day.
Incidentally it's approaching 30 degrees in Cornwall at the moment and definitely not jacket weather!

Atticus

I visit here once or twice a week, sometimes. Other times, it's longer between visits. I haven't bought a vintage leather jacket in a long time. I'm just not sure old, rotund guys like me look good in jackets designed for twenty year olds. I did buy a reproduction M-41 back in December. I like it because it's exactly the right weight for a typical North Carolina winter day. I had thought to patch it like the one my father had when he was a cadet in fight school, but I ended up not doing it. I rather like the way it looks plain.

And, maybe a year ago, I stumbled onto another '50 peacoat...and bought it. But you only need a couple of good peacoats, here in warm North Carolina.

I still enjoy reading the posts here. I guess I just don't have much interesting jacket-related stuff to contribute.

AF

colekwok

I now only visit here once every few weeks. Over here is exceptionally quiet since the revamp of the website, compounded with the summer time where you really don't even want to think about jackets. I also think that some of the new jacket enthusiasts are usually attracted towards the hat forum or the 'stylish' forums where the posts are usually more active with more varieties of topics.

In terms of external factors, the price hike doesn't help either, even though GBP is at its historical low at the moment, now that ELC are selling their patched jackets at over a grand, that is really a real turn off for most (including me). We also need some help from movies where characters wear nice vintage style jackets to catalyse the popularity, saying that, I just wonder where the heck of the Tom Hanks/Spielberg Mighty Eight has gone.

Let's keep our fingers crossed till the season comes.