• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does the TYPE A-2 represent to you?

Curahee

Just what is it about this darn jacket? It's just a leather jacket right?...so why all this fuss? If it's not the leather what then? That look....that idol...what is that? For me it represents something long lost,-STYLE- The designers (who were they btw?) of the jacket seem to have followed along the lines of "form follows function" it seems, but why then copy a shirt?

A

Anonymous

Really the design to me was not all it could have been. An A-1 with zippers and snaps, and interior pocket makes more sence. Why do you need a snap down collar, or epps, no one ran their chut straps thru them. But the A-2 was what was worn and nothing will ever be as cool. Because of this the functional design does not matter

better duck

You put the right question: what does it represent. It is not in the first place so much the design of the jacket, or the look - although it is important, but (for me, and I think for many of us) in a indirect way. Mark put it concisely and just right: "But the A-2 was what was worn and nothing will ever be as cool."
Let me explain my statement and elaborate on Mark's a bit. For me it represents the air war of WW2, an era I am very interested in and like a lot, and a way of fighting an airwar, that was fought the way the cutting edge of technology then made possible. This means, among other things, that this particular way of air fighting will never come back again: it was a "once, and once only, upon a time".
The way that air war was fought tickles the imagination. My particular interest is the ETO, and within that the 8th Air Force air offensive against Germany. The hundreds of bombers collecting over England, forming up into huge formations, and steadily flying into harms way, their crew wearing the jackets we are now so interested in: A2, B3, B6 and the like. Every time I wear one of my A2s or my B3 I feel a little bit "connected" to that era. Strange but harmless, I guess.
Now coming to the look of the A2: I think that the people who choose this jacket as mainstay for aircrew in the 1930-ies of course tried to pick a jacket that was both functional and looked all right. Notable exception is the B3: reading Sweetings "Combat Flying Clothing" and seeing photo's of aircrew in unpainted B3s with the collar up, I see only functionality, and nothing sexy or elegant at all. Still the B3 is a favourite of many of us.
So mainly "beauty is in the eye of the beholder": I guess if the A2 - WW2 connection didn't exist, many of us wouldn't look twice at it: "thirteen in a dozen" as we say here in Holland.

Hamsterbear

MarkP40 said:
Really the design to me was not all it could have been. An A-1 with zippers and snaps, and interior pocket makes more sence. Why do you need a snap down collar, or epps, no one ran their chut straps thru them. But the A-2 was what was worn and nothing will ever be as cool. Because of this the functional design does not matter

Wear your A-2 in an open cockpit bi-plane, and you'll instantly know why the collar tips had snaps. ( the airstream/propwash lifts them up and they hit your face/chin). The epalutets were more military design/styling rather than function, and nobody put the parachute straps through them- you can't on most WWII A-2's,.. the loop is too small or narrow to cram a 'chute harness strap and buckle through the opening. Then, IF you had to bail out, when you landed you would want to get out of the parachute harness as quickly as possible, especially if the wind was dragging you along the ground, and you wouldn't want your harness fouled up in your jacket. Also, if you sit in a Stearman or T-6 with a parachute on and the seatbelt and shoulder harness on, you CAN access the front pockets on an A-2. The first time I saw that it was like a light bulb went on over my head- these were designed as FLYING JACKETS, and they got it right!
-Brian

A

Anonymous

Hamsterbear said:
MarkP40 said:

Wear your A-2 in an open cockpit bi-plane, and you'll instantly know why the collar tips had snaps. ( the airstream/propwash lifts them up and they hit your face/chin). The epalutets were more military design/styling rather than function, and nobody put the parachute straps through them- you can't on most WWII A-2's,.. the loop is too small or narrow to cram a 'chute harness strap and buckle through the opening. Then, IF you had to bail out, when you landed you would want to get out of the parachute harness as quickly as possible, especially if the wind was dragging you along the ground, and you wouldn't want your harness fouled up in your jacket. Also, if you sit in a Stearman or T-6 with a parachute on and the seatbelt and shoulder harness on, you CAN access the front pockets on an A-2. The first time I saw that it was like a light bulb went on over my head- these were designed as FLYING JACKETS, and they got it right!
-Brian
My point was no need for a snap down collar as in no collar at all, maybe a knit like the A-1, also no epps as they held no purpose.

jschare

I'm new to this group and this is my first post but I thought this was an interesting thread. The A-2, to me, brings me closer to my grandfather who was a pilot/co-pilot in the 401st Bombardment Squadron and the horror that he endured. I'm a former Naval Flight Officer on an A-6 and I'm sure the experiences I had pale in comparison to the experiences he or any other WWII pilot had. So... the A-2 reminds me of the sacrifices that his whole generation under took for you and I and for all of the future generations to come. And, they did it willingly, without hesitation and without being asked to. It is the last symbol of what a true hero is...

kkochheiser

jschare said:
I'm new to this group and this is my first post but I thought this was an interesting thread. The A-2, to me, brings me closer to my grandfather who was a pilot/co-pilot in the 401st Bombardment Squadron and the horror that he endured. I'm a former Naval Flight Officer on an A-6 and I'm sure the experiences I had pale in comparison to the experiences he or any other WWII pilot had. So... the A-2 reminds me of the sacrifices that his whole generation under took for you and I and for all of the future generations to come. And, they did it willingly, without hesitation and without being asked to. It is the last symbol of what a true hero is...

Well said!

Kent

Collarstand

I live in a country where the description ‘A-2’ means nothing. I’ve tried this on all my relatives, friends and colleagues but the A-2 moniker only returns blank looks. But everyone recognizes it as a flight jacket. After all these years I still don’t know just why it was designed the way it was. In 1938, most of the open cockpit planes were out of service so a lighter and tighter (little space) jacket seemed appropriate. It is a stylish jacket that goes with any type of casual attire. Until you dress it up with nametag and period accurate patch that is. With these additions it transforms from just another leather jacket into something completely different. This is why I can proudly say that the Roughwear 1401p I wear is one of a kind. No one has the same jacket!

Take care,

Frans.

Adam81

I think it's been said better above by others, but for me it's definitely the classic look that's endured to this day (hence the continuing reproductions and not so great imitations) and the sense of adventure I associate with them. It's a piece of a bygone yet timeless era. Above all, they just look great.

A

Anonymous

Sure reminds the war and plane fighting in a way that will never be repeated again. I also like the 30s - 40s era when everything was more simple and pure.

For me this is the true hero's jacket. The jacket of an "officer and a gentleman" (not trying to make any reference to the movie here). I am a reserve navy officer and proud to have served. As an officer, I live by a code of honor that I think any officer and/or gentleman should have. I believe that wearing this jacket is an earned privilege and consider myself a descendant of those who fought in the wwii because I know that in times of war I will be called to fight in the first line of fire.