• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you prefer B-10 or B-15 ?

Roughwear

Having owned repros and originals of both I like each jacket for what it is and do not have a preference. Both are stylish and functional jackets IMO. However, I do not like the civilian versions of the B15 with the central zip.

asiamiles

I much prefer the B-15, not only for functionality (eg. the pockets) but also for looks. I like the larger mouton collar but the deal-breaker is the windflap; the B-10 looks okay when zipped up but I didn't like the way mine looked when left unzipped which is how I would have more commonly worn it.

Curahee

Sorry for this rather late post but here it is....as far as I can see the B-10 wins :) and it should, you cann't beat those looks ;) oh and Hacker why not wear them with a pair of A-10's ? makes a good combo

Beero

The B-15 fits and you can move around in it. The B-10 is the cloth equivalent of the A-2 in terms of fit and ergonomics, nice for history buffs, but virtually useless for anyone who wants to use it daily.

Peter Graham

Beero said:
The B-10 is the cloth equivalent of the A-2 in terms of fit and ergonomics, nice for history buffs, but virtually useless for anyone who wants to use it daily.
I wore mine nearly every day last winter. Warm, comfortable and practical with good sized pockets. I'm not trying to be smart but do you own a B-10 ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Beero said:
The B-15 fits and you can move around in it. The B-10 is the cloth equivalent of the A-2 in terms of fit and ergonomics, nice for history buffs, but virtually useless for anyone who wants to use it daily.

I agree with Peter, I find that the B-10 is one of the most comfortable of all the flight jackets.

Personally I don't want a jacket that I can move around in, I prefer one that fit's well, so that we can kind of move around together.

Swing

Peter Graham said:
Beero said:
The B-10 is the cloth equivalent of the A-2 in terms of fit and ergonomics, nice for history buffs, but virtually useless for anyone who wants to use it daily.
I wore mine nearly every day last winter. Warm, comfortable and practical with good sized pockets. I'm not trying to be smart but do you own a B-10 ?

I recently sold mine, but up until then I've had one ever since the ELC B-10 came out (10 years ago?). Once I'd spent a winter in my B-15, I figured there was no point in hanging onto the B-10, because I was never going to wear it again. You notice how in a lot of vintage photos guys look like stuffed sausages when wearing their B-10s? Well, I may not have looked like that, but that's how I felt going from the B-15 back to the B-10. With the B-15 it is so nice to wear a jacket and not have it feel tight in the shoulders or arm pits, and not be constantly tugging at the back of the waist, and the sleeves, because they kept riding up. The boxy cut of the B-10 never permitted it to move with me like my B-15 does.

All comes down to personal preference, and after 10 years, I've got no patience for being uncomfortable in jacket that no one recognizes or cares about, simply because it was the cloth jacket of WWII. B-15 gives me my vintage fix, and keeps me comfortable and warm.

~Swing

Beero

Peter Graham said:
Beero said:
I've had two. Ample experience on which to base my opinion. I honestly can't see how anyone could find a B-10 more comfortable than the B-15 as a daily-driver.

Peter Graham

Beero said:
Peter Graham said:
Beero said:
I've had two. Ample experience on which to base my opinion. I honestly can't see how anyone could find a B-10 more comfortable than the B-15 as a daily-driver.
I didn't say it was more comfortable. I was just replying to your comment above. In my opinion they are both very comfortable jackets.

asiamiles

And remember we're all built differently. The B-10 might fit some better, while the B-15 may fit other the best. Until we've owned and worn each we don't really know which jackets suit us, which is one reason for all the buying-and-selling we do.

A

Anonymous

Has ayone ever seen a period photo of an aircrewman wearing a B-10 that was very big on him (at least in the eyes of some members on here) ?

I wonder if the fit issue is because folk are trying to wear a B-10 like an A-2 and a B-15 as a much larger jacket. I'm trying to work it our as I'm about to buy one or t'other and I'm caught twixt and 'tween them. :?

J_H

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
I wonder if the fit issue is because folk are trying to wear a B-10 like an A-2 and a B-15 as a much larger jacket. I'm trying to work it our as I'm about to buy one or t'other and I'm caught twixt and 'tween them. :?

I think you'll find that it is in the cut of the jackets, and the B-15 has a more relaxed fit.

As a guide, I would say that if your waist size is at least 6" smaller than your chest size, then the B-10 will work ... otherwise go with the B-15.

jnlight75

Here are a couple of period B-10 photos that may be of interest.

In the first photo, you can clearly see at a couple of different B-10 contracts. The jacket on the right is more olive color (notice the contrast with the A-9 pants), more form-fitting, with the AAF transfer on the shoulder. The jacket on the left is more green, no AAF transfer, and appears to be a little looser in fit.
2805253194_424bee9ee1.jpg

In the second photo, the color of the scan is a little off. In the original photo the jacket appears slightly more green. It doesn't look like there is an AAF transfer. This jacket also looks looser in fit- it appears the sleeve seams droop well below the shoulders.
2805252784_d81c6805f2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that David. THAT was exactly the info I was looking for. (Without actually knowing what I was looking for!). You did have a clothes store !

I've ordered a B-10 ! At least being in the UK I can always send it back and go for the B-15. Or buy both and send back the one I like least. But then could I part with one if I liked them both ? Oh the agony of it all ! :D

J_H