• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do we think of this Rough Wear?

Juanito

What do we think of this RW? I didn't think the 1401-P contract came with a straight pull Talon, but rather the earlier 16159 contract? That said, it sure doesn't look like a replacement.

B-Man2

Jon
The zipper on this 1401P looks like an M-39 No# 5 Talon according to Gary Eastman’s A2 Manual . The M-39 was the zipper that was used in the first contract 16159 as you stated . It was also used in the 2nd contract RW 18091. The RW 1401P was the 3rd contract which called for the M-40 Crown zipper .
My guess would be that there was probably some left over M-39 Talons that were left over from the first two contracts and were used up rather than to just leave them in a bin or discard them . It was wartime and nothing was discarded . Just a guess .

Juanito

Jon
The zipper on this 1401P looks like an M-39 No# 5 Talon according to Gary Eastman’s A2 Manual . The M-39 was the zipper that was used in the first contract 16159 as you stated . It was also used in the 2nd contract RW 18091. The RW 1401P was the 3rd contract which called for the M-40 Crown zipper .
My guess would be that there was probably some left over M-39 Talons that were left over from the first two contracts and were used up rather than to just leave them in a bin or discard them . It was wartime and nothing was discarded . Just a guess .
That was my line of thought, too...I was thinking someone could confirm this variation with one they had seen, as well.

2BM2K

The zipper looks to be a post WW2 replacement. Here is an original fitted to a Rough Wear 18091;

DSC_7468.jpg