• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have? NASA?

oose

Hi all,

Not sure what I just bought, Its got talon zips, all original but just what is it? Dare I say NASA/Lockheed, its the right colour. I have no idea so please help, its not nylon but cloth, any help would be great.

IMG_5217.jpg

2-1.jpg

4.jpg

3-3.jpg

stu

Jaydee

I don't know but that is an exciting possibility! Nasa does tend to use cloth for a lot of their stuff. I never understood why you would put the astronaughts in poly cotton flight suits and jackets! I'm sure they are wearing Aramid if flying in a fighter type jet for training. But why not just issue them aramid everything in Nasa blue, and they can just use the same gear for all training?

oose

Hi,

I knew I'd seen something similar on here. Mine has had a round patch removed from the right arm, I'll post better pics later when I can smuggle it out of the wardrobe, don't know how I'm going get this one by her, green jackets are easy but light blue! :roll:

jacket1.jpg

yours stu

Peter Graham

oose said:
I'll post better pics later when I can smuggle it out of the wardrobe, don't know how I'm going get this one by her, green jackets are easy but light blue!
Ha ha, I know where you're coming from Stu. That's what holding me back from buying a shearling of some sort. Green and leather jackets seem to fly below the radar but I know a shearling will have the flak flying ! :( . Nice jacket by the way.

oose

Hi,

Something similar from Martin X-24B in 1972 being worn by Tom McMurtry.

3183658300_72f459ffc6_o.jpg

2-2.jpg

here are some nice gold ones

Shuttle_Carrier_Aircraft_crew_in_fr.jpg

stu

Willy McCoy

You have a very interesting jacket.I am glad you posted this in the Nylon section as cloth after 1949 is mostly for garments other than jackets. I was hoping you would take some photo's of the MFGs nomenclature tag or if you have the reverse side cigarette pocket.
cybershot005.jpg

Front shot of jacket.
cybershot006.jpg

Manufactures/& size tag. Inside front left pocket.
cybershot008.jpg

Reversed.
cybershot007.jpg

Reversed with cigarette pocket.

Willy McCoy

The one I have is like the one in the Haise photo. No zipper box flap and a raglan sleeve design (no shoulder seam). I really like the photos you've posted of the different kind of jackets.

oose

Hi Willy,

Thanks for posting your jacket shots, you have one interesting jacket to, it would be nice to work out a chronology on these test jackets. There is no pockets on the orange side, and no MFG nomenclature tag that I can find, its a bit of a mystery jacket. The inside orange is the same material as a 60's L-2b, date wise I'd put it no earlier mid 60's but before 1975. I'll post better pics tomorrow, I'm just please its my size and all.

yours stu

Willy McCoy

It seems that the jackets I have seen like yours are a lot like the "Party Suit" and Aeromedical Suit tops that I have seen. Worn by Command and other upper echelon pilots. Very collectible jackets. I have seen Buzz Rickson make them for a while a few seasons ago. Should be a perfect jacket for springtime.

oose

Hi,

I have a good look at it now and I can see that two patches were removed the circular one on the arm and triangular shaped one on the breast, see image below for there location.

here is a nice tan number Willy, I see if I can dig up a few more!

stu

oose

Hi Willy,

LAND MFG CO style jacket and dated as well 1966. (already discussed on previous post)

plus one more earlier 1950's style made by Fruhauf Southwest Uniforms. The pilot this time for Bell

stu

oose

one more

"L to R: In this November 1971 photograph, Astronauts John Young, Eugene Cernan, Charles Duke, Fred Haise, Anthony England, Charles Fullerton, and Donald Peterson await deployment tests of the lunar roving vehicle qualification test unit."

Here are better pictures of where the patches were removed.
arm

chest

I've sent a message to the French buyer of the Orion jacket, his jacket may have the same talon zip on his cigarette pocket, this type of zip dates from the later part of the 60's used sometimes on luxury handbags. I'll keep on digging see what comes up.

So far Manufactures are

Fruhauf Southwest- 50's-early 60's
LAND.MFG.CO- 60's
Bowler Shirt & Uniform Company of Los Angeles- 60's

stu

Willy McCoy

I am stumped as to the patches that may have been on your jacket. The triangular patch looks like a wing patch was there and the shoulder was where an airframe type patch was. The only triangular patch that Lockheed had was the Area 51 patch, at least that I can recall, or the Minotaur patch. It may be a jacket from an instructor from Air Wing Five that trained all branches and Nationalities in Florida.

oose

Hi Willy,

I've got it out again this morning and the patch may be more this shape its hard to tell as the stitch marks on the zip side are barely discernible

yours stu

oose

Here is one of those NASA jackets made by Flight Wear by Land M.F.G.

Hi,

These were recently sold at auction, here is the description...

NASA Pilot's Blue Flight Jacket. This blue, orange parachute, silk-lined "Flite Wear" cloth jacket (X-Large/Regular) includes a NASA pilot's leather ID velcroed to the chest (J.B. COBB) as well as patches including the rare triangular blue NASA-MSC patch and a NASA meatball (3"). There is a blue-ink Scripto pen and a mechanical pencil (psst - it's marked "U. S. Government" on the barrel) in the left arm pocket.

Here is one of the mustard ones made by Kings Point MFG Co

NASA Pilot's Mustard NASA Flight Jacket. This white, silk-lined "Kings Point" cloth jacket (X-Large) includes a NASA pilot's leather ID velcroed to the chest (JERE COBB) as well as numerous patches including the rare triangular blue NASA-MSC patch, a NASA meatball (3"), a small US flag (2.5x1.5") patch, a "Lunar Landing Training Vehicle" patch (LLTV patches are almost never available) and a The Red Baron / Houston patch.

yours stu