• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you wearing under your jacket in winter?

Wedge417

As some of you may know I'm in the process of buying an A2 jacket from Platon.

While thinking really hard on whether to get a size 42 or 44, (yes I am in between sizes which makes it difficult to se my mind), Buzz R's insta feed reminded me I've always wanted one of those sleeveless alpaca lined zipper under jackets.

I have a vague memory of seeing B&W photos of Airforce men wearing those under their jackets. Do any of you have actual photos of those being used or is it my mind playing tricks?

I do recall seing pilots wearing wool jumpers under their A-2 jackets. This got me thinking, size wise, could I be able to fit a US Army wool pullover under my jacket if I took a size 42.

But more importantly, this leads me to this new thread, as summer slowly ends, what do you usually wear under your leather jacket? What will you wear this winter? Let's have a show of pictures and ideas and share on that topic.

Chandler

I usually work my way up from a denim or flannel shirt to a repro army high-neck to a sweatshirt.

In my area, if I need anything more than that I'm switching to the tanker, pea coat, or a heavier civilian leather coat (not jacket) that I have.

When winter really hits, it's time for the N-3b.

FreddyF9

For me, it depends on how cold it is and how warm is the jacket, during the coldest day in winter I usually wear a B-10 or B-15D, with a shirt and a pullover (or C2 flying cardigan) under it; if the weather gets even colder, I go for a long sleeve t-shirt and a thick wool jumper.

Wz1999

E9D1C24D-B7A4-4594-833E-E00435A46F66.jpeg
348F45D9-5F0C-4FA0-8D8E-31EACB0A7D43.jpeg
BAE41AD3-172D-4601-990F-9F8FC29E06A1.jpeg

blackrat2

TCB denim jacket under an A2...then pushing through a wet winter a Fjallraven...cold winter a down jacket
Denim seems to be an under layer for me unless particularly cold
Have a B10 from Aero (for sale) and USN A2 to keep chill out

mulceber

Depends on the weather. Here in Michigan, a January or February day will regularly be anywhere between 34 F/1 C and 5 F/-15 C. On the warmest winter days, just a t-shirt and undershirt beneath the A-2. Once it gets colder, the A-2 rapidly becomes untenable. Sometimes I can pull off a sweater underneath, but only a light one can really fit. Beyond that, my options are, in order of increasing warmth:
  • Five Star Sky King or LL Bean fleece-lined bomber jacket
  • Bob Dong B-10 or Bronson B-15A
  • Aero Merino Irvin
  • Eastman B-3
The farmer's almanac is predicting an unusually cold winter, so I suspect my B-3 will be getting a lot of wear this winter.

Smithy

Living inside the Arctic Circle in Norway it can get a tad nippy here.

I've got a RN submariner jumper from Outdoor Knitwear that gets a lot of use - I often use it with an Aero Barnstormer or an ELC Irvin for knocking around town in cold temps. A pseudo C-2 knockoff that I'll use with an A-2 when it's a bit more temperate. When it starts getting seriously nippy I tend to use an ATF '44 Pattern Wehrmacht Sumpftarn parka which is great with thermals and wool and what I often wear for manual labour in very cold conditions. When it gets seriously bloody cold I ditch the "Golden Era" clobber for a Canada Goose parka which is probably one of the best extreme cold weather pieces of kit ever made - the design features they have are unbeatable (which many don't even realise because they don't wear them in the conditions for which they were designed) and there's also not many pieces of outerwear which come with a lifetime warranty.

MikeyB-17

I had to think about this one. I don’t get on with jumpers, I just get too hot in them. For me, it’s usually a fairly heavy shirt, of which I have several-I need a pocket for my glasses!-then usually a denim jacket, or often a Levi’s ‘elephant skin’ Type 1 style jacket. Then depending on how cold it is, one of a selection of heavy leather coats (old Schott car coat, Schott leather pea coat-but I predict the new Aero Highwayman will be getting the lion’s share of wear this year!) If it’s cold and dry, it’s B-3 time, which doesn’t require so many layers underneath. I’m also hoping I will have lost enough weight to make the Buzz B-10 a viable proposition this year.
Flippin’ ‘eck, this has made me realise how many jackets I own! :oops:

Dany McDonald

If I answer your question about leather or A-2 jackets, I just dont wear them in winter per say, It's just way too cold here. But like you I like the USAAF alpaca vest and have one. Style wise I wear my A-2's kind of slim so under layering is not possible, I use them as a summer jacket or autumn when the weather is mild. It's a question of style really, I don't like blousing or boxing effect on A-2's.

Then I gradually switch to B-10/B-15/N-3 ....

Interesting tread, nice pics and I must find one of those Type C-2, Buzz or RM...

D

warguy

I am also between sizes, a 40 or a 42. For most of my jackets, I went with a 42 as I have recollections thirty five years ago of buying and loving an old Avirex size 40 that got too snug and I had to part with just when it was breaking in nice. I am a bit more active and a bit more slim now, but that memory still haunts me. However, I have found with the bit larger size 42, I can layer just as you are hoping to do. My favorite go to on cold winter days here in the mountains of Northern Arizona is my Buzz Rickson sweatshirt. I really love that one with my M422A (which is cut just a bit longer) but it works well with my A2’s also. After seeing the C2 in this post, I might have to get one of those and try that as well this year. That Bunny suit above with a battery pack is also hard to pass on! An A2 over that with no pants would be a real head turner.

Dany McDonald

Since the last winters in Berlin weren't that cold, mostly only chambray or flannel shirts. My favorits. Buzz rickson & Sugar Cane. Of course also originals from the 40s and 50s.

Same here, Chambray, flannel and wool from Buzz, Sugar Cane and Jelado...

Buzz wollen flight shirt is a must for vintage clothing enthusiast and it goes so well with Navy & USAAF stuff.

br27347-color.jpg