• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What about Low Budget B-10 repros ?

pierregloom

Now that winter is here, and after my investigations upon M-422A (which I finally ordered at Avi Leather), I'm waiting for it, but I already suppose that it won't be warm enough for winter in western France (last week : -1/+8°C for example).

So I am reading all I can about B-10 and discovered lately that it was possible to find "Low Budget Repro Makers" for cloth jacket too.

I don't know if I can afford one this year, but every information is good to get, and I wanted to have your advices, pros & cons, tips for the size depending on the brand sizing you've noticed, in other words, what are your experiences with this kind of cloth jacket for low budget?

For the moment, I've found (with € prices for european member when it is possible):
- Bronson MFG : 179$/159€ (and I love the red knitting with the kaki one :p like a Buzz Rickson one), made in in China ? 2 colors.
khaki_600x_3688cf45-ec98-4515-a3da-6ba20ba84490_2048x.jpg

- ATF : 189.99$, made in USA? No shoulder roundel.
b10-jacket-main.jpg

- Five Star Leather : 120$/106,04€ (I like the kind of "sand" color, and the fact that Five Star can do custom jackets), made in Pakistan. 3 colors.
1_28c881a5-d2d5-43f2-b3b3-206cd8d30ad8_1024x1024.jpg

- Bob Dong : 204,81€ on Aliexpress (I can't read what's on Taobao). 2 colors.
HTB1CGORacfrK1RjSszcq6xGGFXaX.jpg

- Aero Leather : £375.00 more expensive but everything is customizable (Collar, Lining, Knit Colour, Decals).
1485afad41a99dd4_Front500.jpg

If there are european guys that have experienced the taxes with these brands, it will also be interessing I think, even if it differs from one country to anther, It can give an idea of the whole budget for this kind of jacket.

Thanks ! And I hope this thread could be interesting for somebody else ;).

(updated : I've added Bob Dong B10 jacket)

Last edited:

pierregloom

Bronsons B10 has a fake fur collar that looks like teddy bear, this imo the most annoying part of their jacket, otherwise it's OK.
Fivestar does at least real mouton collars.
Can't find the info on ATF website, but for Bronson and Five Star, it's mentionned "Mouton fur collar" on the jacket's desctription :rolleyes: .

mulceber

Here's the advice I've given elsewhere: all the jackets you listed are nice. But you can find used Buzz Ricksons on eBay in the $250-$350 range, depending on when you shop and what size you are (the smaller your size and the warmer the weather is at the time of purchase, the better the deal you're likely to get). The Buzz Rickson jackets have much better mouton, authentic zippers, and real alpaca lining. I suggest that you skip the options mentioned above and start trawling eBay and Yahoo Auctions Japan.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Hey Pierre, Ive owned most of them ('cept 5*), so here's my input.

If you really dont want to spend over, say $200 or $250... Or you want 'new'...

Bronson or Bob Dong.
Either through the official website or Ebay. I've never had postage or import issues here in the UK.
Really good jackets for the money (I have same comment as Steve above...). Both of mine had mouton fur, quality is good and detailing not too shabby. Lining is not authentic, but its comfy and warm. Knits are good!
(Im still convinced Bronson copies BR and Bob Dong copies RM - I had a RM Stagg b-10...)
The Bronson was a 40, fit well, but Id need to size up to a 42 for a better fit. Interestingly my BR B-10 is a 42 and fits PERFECT.
Bob Dong was a 42, but felt a touch roomy, and Id want to size down to a 40. (My RM Stagg was a 40 and fit fine with room to layer)
Both the above are reviewed on here somewhere.
Sizing on the websites is pretty good.
• Also consider Bronson's B-15 - I also had one of these (see comments below).

ATF's B-10 - Stay away. Its a very weird pattern, not close to anything Ive owned or seen. Also, did not fit great. And very expensive import duties and taxes.
I was able to return it at my expense. Total waste of money imo.
This was also shown on here somewhere.

Now, if you can be patient and spend more, then I must agree with Jan on a secondhand Buzz Rickson route.
Secondhand ELC B-10s are like gold dust, so wouldn't hold out hope there, but often BR and RM B-10s and B-15s come out of Japan.
Just be careful with making sure of condition (and sizing).

I have not got around to doing a comparison review between my ELC B-10 and my BR B-10, they are both excellent B-10 repros and are both keepers.
I also have an ELC B-15 that has been a solid wearer over the last two winters (I sold all the other 10s and 15s for these, and I need no more. Thank Heavens)
I like these all for different reasons.

• Just to add to the conversation.
I love the classic styling of the B-10, I just screams WW2 fighter pilot!
I will add however, the ELC B-15 gets more wear when its really chilly, due to the hand warmer pockets and big collar. Im not a big fan 'visually' of the larger collar, but it works. VERY WELL.

Last edited:

MauldinFan

At the Front makes an excellent B-10 jacket, quite affordable and well made. They also come in "western" sizes as well and shipping isn't so bad from Kentucky if you live in the US. They have good customer service as well.
It's biggest downside is they don't put the AAF meatball on the sleeve

pierregloom

Thanks ! I've added Bob Dong and some details on the list.

I've seen some Buzz Rickson second hand on Ebay, but for what I've seen, it was too expensive (for me) for a jacket that's not new, that can't be exchanged if the size doesn't fits well, so, for the moment, I think the best choice for me would be one of these low budget repro jacket.
I keep in mind the possibility of buying second hand, but considering that if I buy one, it will be a "winter jacket for daily use" more than a collection one, may be a 'new' jacket is a good option.

... I haven't received my M422-A from AVI yet, and I'm already watching infos about another jacket... :eek:

Brettafett

Great patch Greg. Im busy re-reading Hub Zemkes bio....

Another good thing about Bronson and Bob Dong... If for whatever reason, you can return them.
From the EU thats not a biggie.
Im also not sure, but doesn't Bronson usually have a January sale?
Either way, subscribing to mail list gets you 5% discount...

Wanted to mention Aero's B-10... Ive never seen one in person.

Im also waiting for the AVI M-422A... Trying not to think about it. Would be great to receive before Xmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

pierregloom

Great patch Greg. Im busy re-reading Hub Zemkes bio....

Another good thing about Bronson and Bob Dong... If for whatever reason, you can return them.
From the EU thats not a biggie.
Im also not sure, but doesn't Bronson usually have a January sale?
Either way, subscribing to mail list gets you 5% discount...

Wanted to mention Aero's B-10... Ive never seen one in person.

Im also waiting for the AVI M-422A... Trying not to think about it. Would be great to receive before Xmas, but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for the tip about Bronson's mailing list, that's always interesting !
About Avi M422-A, Morten told me yesterday he expected it to be shipped later this week, so maybe before the end of this year...

Smithy

At the Front makes an excellent B-10 jacket, quite affordable and well made. They also come in "western" sizes as well and shipping isn't so bad from Kentucky if you live in the US. They have good customer service as well.
It's biggest downside is they don't put the AAF meatball on the sleeve

I agree. Can't comment on the new version but the first run were great. I bought two of them because they were so good and the pattern excellent IMHO.

Absolutely love my first gen ATF ones.

NAWhNi0.jpg

hE88Nid.jpg

Brettafett

Not sure you saw these Pierre, but here's some context...
ELC, Bronson and Bob Dong
B-10 Comp.jpg

Buzz B-10
BR RW B-10 42.JPG

Bronson B-15A
Brett Bronson B-15A 2020.jpg

ATF's new B-10... I dint like this jacket at all. Fit was weird. Shape ws weird. Cost a fortune to import.
I love my ATF Tanker to death, but sorry... not the 10
P1270453.JPG