• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What A-2 contract for someone tall and thin?

Kermit3D

I think in the medium/long term I will buy an A-2 jacket.
I'm learning about the specifics of the different contracts.
I am tall and thin: 1m88 and 74 kg, which A-2 contract would be the most appropriate ?

Saint-ex

To be a little more explicit, if you give a look to the @Brettafett A-2 presentation, you will see that the Dubow pattern suits well tall and athletic physique.

But in fact, differences are slight and what suits better than any other depend your taste and how you like the fitting.

Brettafett

So, 6,1ft? Assume chest is around 42" - you may need a long size, depending on where you get your A-2 from.

Most contracts would fit well in the body at the correct size, which for you would likely be a 42 or 44, but most will likely come up short.

So, it depends on what kind of A-2 you are after and how how much you are prepared to spend.
High end or lower/ budget minded?
Authentic as possible or just 'looks the part', etc...
Trim (fine if you don't plan to move) , comfortable (classic profile and easy everyday wear) or roomy fit (being able to layer)?

I am 5'10 more like 5'11, 72-73 kgs and trim, skinny waist. Wear a 32/32 in most denim.
I find that most original A-2s I've tried, 42 fits best, but most if not all, felt a bit short in the sleeves for me.
I wear a Bill Kelso 42 long, Platon's Dubow 42 (long), Eastman 40 or 42 long (depending on the contract), GW 40 long, etc...

mulceber

Assume chest is around 42"

Probably not - he’s 6’1”, but he’s also only 165 pounds. I’m the same height with a 40” chest and I’m 190 pounds. Otherwise, I’ll second what Brett said. He’s really the person to talk to for getting the right fit when you’re tall and lanky. But most of all, work with the vendors. They all know their product, and they all are very good at helping their customers get the right fit.

In terms of contracts to choose that are good for someone who is slender (I’ll ignore the issue of height, because from what you say, you’ll likely be going for added length), my recommendations would be to take a look at Dubow, Star Sportswear, and Monarch. I’m particularly partial to the last two, since in my experience the rotated sleeves make for added comfort when lifting your arms. The Star and I think the Monarch were both short contracts though, so you’ll want to go for custom measurements.

Brettafett

Yeah, I love the Monarch design, that collar.... maybe its just me, but I find the sleeves pull up a lot when lifting arms, rotated sleeves or not.
Ive tried a GW and an ELC, same with both versions. Could be the slightly larger arm holes or way the sleeves attach to the back panel? (pls dont read LARGE armholes, its likely more a pattern thing)
I find with the right maker, Roughwears can also be good for a slender person, Werbers also.

foster

Height by itself is misleading, even with weight. Torso and arm / sleeve length are very important considerations to factor in.

Given the height and weight, even a Bronco would work if the length was sufficient. I think the Bronco works best on those who are very slim.

Kermit3D

Thank you for your many messages, lots of interesting things!
I am very busy at the moment and I will take time to answer soon. :)

Kermit3D

My exact measurements are as follows :

From shoulder to shoulder : 51cm / 20 inches
Sleeve length (from shoulder to wrist) : 64 cm / 25 inches
Chest size : 102cm / 40 inches
Height : 1m88 / 6'02
Weight : 74 kg / 164 pounds

I don't have standard measurements.
I'm afraid that if I buy a custom-made jacket, I'll get a jacket with a weird shape.

Probably a size 42 would be a good compromise.
Even if the sleeves could be a little short...

Last edited:

Greg Gale

I'm afraid you'll defo need a custom jacket. I'm 1.84 and 76 kg, and I can just get away with a stock Dubow 27798 (size 42). If I was any taller, I couldn't.
I have a 27752 on order, with 1/2 inch added to the back and sleeves. I agree that if you add 1/2 or 1 inch it won't destroy the pattern...

foster

If you get a horsehide A-2, you will want the sleeves to be long, initially. They will shorten as the sleeves develop the folds and creases. So if the sleeve length seems perfect when new, it will likely be too short after breaking in.