• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wested custom design advice

Hey guys, so for context I am not really a big leather jacket connoisseur, but I do want a 'generic' vintage looking leather jacket that I can just buy once and 'lovingly abuse' for years to come. ;) Some of you have said positive things about Wested and as I really don't need 'the Bentley' of jackets, but just something well made with natural grain leather that develops character over time, they seem to fit the profile. It is also great that their stuff is made in the UK.

This is what I have in mind-from Hunted with Dirk Bogarde (1952) :
31BJIJT.jpg

As it is not a particularly complex pattern-I figured I could ask Wested to modify their Indy by removing the storm flap and adding buttons instead of snaps to the pockets.
Now I am really not asking for perfection from them, but I do need them to follow certain measurements carefully-for example I want it to be a short waist length jacket-if they mess this up and send me a long, baggy sack it would be no use to me at all.

I sent them a couple of emails and they have not been very responsive-they replied to one email saying it could be done after the lockdown but did not reply to a second email asking for certain measurements.
To those of you who have succesfully dealt with them-do you have any tips on getting the best results from them? Are they better on the phone? I was thinking of making a little drawing showing the required style-but I am worried that if they miss every other email some detail or other is going to be overlooked.

mulceber

I think the viability of Wested depends on where you are. They have a tendency to forget about custom requests, get measurements wrong, etc. Not so much a problem if you live in the UK and can send (or even take) it back to them, but a bigger problem if you live abroad, where any mistakes on their part will cost you big time. If you’re planning on buying one jacket and being done, why not go for a company like Aero, who have a wider range of styles, are more responsive, and are also open to customization. I agree with Vic that Bill Kelso would be a a solid option as well.

Bombing IP

Your asking Wested to make something one off ,something they do not do and could be a disaster .I would Go with Aero they have handled thousands of original jackets and probably had the jacket in the picture so they would know how to make it .Ken has been showing some wonderful leather of late .That would be my input
BIP

Last edited:
Thanks. Wested have done one offs having looked at their feed and in this case it is really 3 things I want: buttoned pockets, no storm flap and short length. Why don't I go to Aero? Simple-I can't justify the cost! That's why I figured the simplicity of the pattern means I can be a bit more forgiving of small inaccuracies.
I do live in the UK btw.

Brettafett

I've had a couple of Wested's, Raiders and an A-2. All long before lockdown...

Raiders was fantastic, one of the regret-sells...
A-2 was not.

Being in the UK, you could look for something they have at hand thats similar, check it out, measure and go from there.
Theres also Five Star...

bn1966

Echoing what’s already been said, I had them copy a G-1 Star Sportswear for me with mods to ensure fit, and without going down there in person twice it could have been a disaster. As it was it turned out well

38BB496A-CB51-4799-82C4-399DE2AFD87B.jpeg

Echoing what’s already been said, I had them copy a G-1 Star Sportswear for me with mods to ensure fit, and without going down there in person twice it could have been a disaster. As it was it turned out well

View attachment 47221
This is the Wested? Your 5* looks great also.

I have been researching the posts here for a couple weeks now, and frankly, Five Star seem much more detail oriented and I have spoken with Sean via email and he is most accommodating.

I suppose the main reason I thought about going with Wested is supporting a local business. I know they don't have the hottest designs on the market but I have seen the workmanship and the leather and see potential in them-which is why I chose a pretty 'generic' design for them to make. I think the visiting in person idea is good. Did you provide them with your own hardware Bn1966? I was also thinking about giving them my own vintage buttons to add to the jacket.

mulceber

I was also thinking about giving them my own vintage buttons to add to the jacket.

I have heard of Wested using hardware provided by the customer, so that seems within the realm of possibility. That said, for what you want, I think Five Star is your better bet. Shawn is very responsive to feedback, and will bend over backwards to make the jacket the way you want it.

bn1966

This is the Wested? Your 5* looks great also.

I have been researching the posts here for a couple weeks now, and frankly, Five Star seem much more detail oriented and I have spoken with Sean via email and he is most accommodating.

I suppose the main reason I thought about going with Wested is supporting a local business. I know they don't have the hottest designs on the market but I have seen the workmanship and the leather and see potential in them-which is why I chose a pretty 'generic' design for them to make. I think the visiting in person idea is good. Did you provide them with your own hardware Bn1966? I was also thinking about giving them my own vintage buttons to add to the jacket.

Thanks, first one is the Wested, I was able to chose the hide from their leather rolls which was great. Hardware I found myself from various sources here in the UK and abroad. Jacket took an age to get built and that was without C-19 And needed two visits as stated, I did find a mistake in the build proposal second time I went up there so was very glad I did. End result was very well made and great for the price. Something to mention was they did charge For and make a mock up Out of cloth prior to final build called a toile or some such.

Five Star was very fast in the build, provided everything except the goat hide myself, be very sure of and specific about the required measurements, luckily I still had all mine from the Wested build and mailed them to Shawn. Wouldn’t mind one of his new ‘Californian’ bike jackets, just looked at his off the peg size guide and that certainly wouldn’t work for me, would be custom again.

dinomartino1

AERO ROYALE

London Cabbie

Beautiful-way beyond my budget!

That’s how I started out. Then you purchase a few ‘not quite there jackets’ and realise you would have been better off saving and spending on a ‘lifetime’ heirloom leather jacket, that feels good every time you put it on, that you love so much you wear it on the sofa look up Einstein Cossack. Honestly you get what you pay for nearly always. IMO

Bombing IP

Why don't you go throught the process of ordering the jacket from Aero and make payment in three parts .Spread the expense ,and as the Lon Cabbie says you won't have three jackets hanging that you do not like .There's something about a go to jacket that you grab and are in awe of it every time you wear it . There is a saying I am to poor to be cheap !. Ultimately its you money your choice wish you well on your journey .

BIP