• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WEP Flight Jacket Pics '72 Kings Point MFG Co

Rutger

Ah yes, the WEP jacket, isn't it designed as part of an ensemble with trousers attached to it? That'd explain the shortness.
Considered it quite a few times because it looks like a nice enough and practical jacket, but being so short in the back I'd constantly feel the need to pull it down (like some AF nylon jackets I have).

watchmanjimg

Rutger said:
Ah yes, the WEP jacket, isn't it designed as part of an ensemble with trousers attached to it? That'd explain the shortness.
Considered it quite a few times because it looks like a nice enough and practical jacket, but being so short in the back I'd constantly feel the need to pull it down (like some AF nylon jackets I have).

Rutger, this is entirely correct and though these were worn by Naval aviators as outer garments achieving a conventional fit can be challenging. I've long since given up the idea of wearing one, but Gibson and Barnes offers a modern version that may be cut longer in the body.

CBI

I have owned 6 original WEPs over the years. They are my favorite nylon flight jackets except for the fact they they are almost impractically short wasted. Even when I went up a size larger than my normal size AND "long" - still too short. Soooooooo, I recently ordered and Gibson and Barnes repro WEP in a "long" size. It should arrive in August! That's quite a wait! I plan on tweaking the jacket a bit to get it to fit, have the correct "look".

Peter Graham

A WEP is one jacket I've never owned but being rather short in stature myself, it might just work. I'll keep a look out for one.

GARY WELLS

40925A4B-27B5-4334-9F8D-5542270724A3.jpeg

Everybody complains about the short fit of the orginal US Navy (WEP) Flight Jackets from the 1960’s and Early 1970’s of the Vietnam War era. Has anyone ever purchased a US Navy & USMC (WEP) Nylon Flight Jacket Reproduction, manufactured by Cockpit of New York? They are made in modern sizing. How good is the quality? and do they fit true to size? Cockpit retails them for $240 online. Other Army Navy Supply Stores may sell them for about 15% to 20% cheaper. They have the 2 front large snap down pockets and 1 snap down sleeve pocket. In addition, the Cockpit WEP has the authentic heavy weave, darker olive knit collar and knit cuffs with the elastic waistband.
40925A4B-27B5-4334-9F8D-5542270724A3.jpeg

shedonwanna

my daily wear winter jacket is a wep purchased from gibson & barnes several years ago. it's a xl-tall made from their mountain cloth which is lightweight and repels light rain fairly well. used hook and loop on the pockets instead of snaps. our winters are wet and cool so this one covers my needs.
wep01.jpg
wep02.jpg
wep03.jpg