• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well what do you know?

MaydayWei

it’s a tricky one ain’t it?! A bit like the forum on here for sharing auction listings, I’ll share something if it’s of zero interest to me, but I wouldn’t want to alert others to something I’m intending to buy, particularly if it looks like I’m going to bag a bargain (poor eBay listing description etc).

Beyond searching for stuff like ‘vintage jacket’ or ‘old flying coat’ I find it’s often just luck. I’d have probably bought the G-1 that’s the subject of this thread had I seen it, but had a busy morning and didn’t look on eBay. Generally the lucky finds are the buy it now listings, or those with ‘make an offer’, where you can get in there quick before anyone else. The M422a I mentioned above was a listing with the ‘best offer’ option, I saw it within a few minutes of the listing going up, stuck in an offer and got lucky. I suspect that had the jacket Mikey bought been an auction listing over 6 days others would have found it and it might have sold for a little more (recent Caglecos have gone for £150+).

I absolutely agree, I find that BINs and an early finds are often the best steals. Once somethings been seen by everyone you can be sure you’re in for a bidding war. In my personal experience, I’ve found that, yes, luck is a big factor but so is playing the ‘keyword’ game with the eBay search bar. For example a “jacket flyers” turns up more CWUs (with labeling that says jacket flyers”) as opposed to simply typing in ‘flight jacket’. Or another thing I’ve noticed is omitting sizing completely increases your ability (rather counterintuitively) of finding one in your size [mainly because not all sellers include the size in the title]. It’s often quite obvious to seasoned eBay veterans such as yourself; but perhaps more so in hindsight. At least,I’d always have the retrospective “goddamn it, why didn’t I think of that sooner?” Then I proceeded to dream about all the jackets I’ve missed out on because I typed in an additional“small” or “36”o_O

ausreenactor

There I was, was reading the AVI thread, as you do. Folk were arguing that there was no reason to buy a repro G-1 when originals can be picked up for peanuts. I was about to ask where everyone was finding these cheap G-1’s, because for years I haven’t seen a mouton-collared, black label G-1 for less than £200, usually more, despite regular trawls of the ‘Bay. Before I did, though, I decided to have another look. What was the first thing I saw? This.
It was one of those ‘I can’t really afford this, but this is one of those damn the torpedoes, strike while the iron’s hot’ moments. Hopefully the temporary lack of funds will eventually be forgotten, but the jacket will still be here. I haven’t seen a ’Nam era G-1 for this sort of money for I don’t know how long, much less a stencilled-collar Korean era job. Hoping I might be able to save the collar, probably replacement zip, otherwise looks fairly reasonable. Watch this space!
Good things for good people!

MikeyB-17

Came this morning. Fantastic condition for its age, leather is terrific except for a few scuffs, collar will need doing but I would have lived with it for a while, zip and cuffs have been changed (quite well), and a piece has been put in the lining at the neck, but on the whole it’s pretty damn good for the money. Trouble is it doesn’t fit. Can’t even zip it up. Bugger.
I will be putting it up here for what I paid for it plus the postage. Could probably make a profit on EBay but can’t be bothered with them, and would rather someone here benefited from it. I’ll take some pics etc. and put it up as soon as I can.

Brettafett

Mikey, I was looking at this jacket myself, but was a bit concerned on refurb costs. Last time I tried this, I almost had a heart attack adding up the costs...
How tall are you and weight? If you can, pls add measurements. Might be keen to give this exercise another go.
First dibs

MikeyB-17

Just put it up on the sale page with details and new pics Brett. I don’t think it needs much except for the collar, unless the zip and cuffs bother you. I’m 5’ 10” and a pretty hefty 15 stone, can usually wear a big 42 but this isn’t.

B-Man2

Sorry to hear this Mikey . I know how excited you were to find this one . Hopefully another will show up .

MikeyB-17

Ah, way it goes Burt. As we know, there’s huge variation in size between different contracts and makers, this one turned out to be a small 42. There were no measurements to go by, and it was a shoot first and ask questions later moment before somebody else nabbed it. Hopefully somebody else here will have it. If not, I will overcome my dislike of Ebay and attempt some shameless profiteering. :)