• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well I’ll be DAMNED... look what I found!!!

mulceber

Thanks! It actually ended up being goatskin, I learned later. Didn't expect that (is that considered better? Just different?) I don't know how it will wear as, to be honest, it certainly doesn't seem the highest-end (sort of reads like vinyl.) I would love for it to develop patina or whatever cool-looking wear is called, but I just don't know. It certainly feels like an entry-level jacket (to use appropriate A2-obsessive terminology ;)).

Most people in this community consider horsehide to be "the gold standard" when it comes to leather, but nobody producing jackets for the military uses horsehide anymore. Goatskin is an excellent (and somewhat unsung) leather, especially goatskin that's had a chance to age for about 20 years, which this one has. Ya dun good.

Most people in this community consider horsehide to be "the gold standard" when it comes to leather, but nobody producing jackets for the military uses horsehide anymore. Goatskin is an excellent (and somewhat unsung) leather, especially goatskin that's had a chance to age for about 20 years, which this one has. Ya dun good.
It's funny then, this may be "suffering" from phenomenal condition :). With nary a scuff or scratch anywhere, it really does look like I picked it off a rack new at a store. Gotta work for this, I suppose! Hold on while I turn on my treadmill and bench grinder :).

WingAndaPrayer

It's funny then, this may be "suffering" from phenomenal condition :). With nary a scuff or scratch anywhere, it really does look like I picked it off a rack new at a store. Gotta work for this, I suppose! Hold on while I turn on my treadmill and bench grinder :).
Those orange label coopers are bullet proof. That jacket is going to look practically new another 20 years from now, I know because I had one. I worked construction in the thing and it barely touched the leather. Destroyed the knits and liner though.

Those orange label coopers are bullet proof. That jacket is going to look practically new another 20 years from now, I know because I had one. I worked construction in the thing and it barely touched the leather. Destroyed the knits and liner though.
That's what I figured feeling this thing. It's actually a bit interesting. I know very little about leather (and its production processes) but this sort of feels like fake leather. I know it's not, on account of the label and smell, but it's just got the uniform shine, pebbling, patterning, etc. that fake leather has. I wonder if, like some fake leather I've seen, they basically "use" real leather but grind it all up into powder and then reform/press it. Trying to remember the name of that... bonded leather. That's it. It would explain why when you see this type in vintage stores, you're much more likely to see peeling or tearing than good patinas. Anyone with any sense of leather working can chime in here and fill in a lot more than me I'm sure :). But yeah, that's what it feels like. In short, abrasions seem like they would tear or peel this way before they would add any character of the type you usually see with "real" leather goods.

WingAndaPrayer

That's what I figured feeling this thing. It's actually a bit interesting. I know very little about leather (and its production processes) but this sort of feels like fake leather. I know it's not, on account of the label and smell, but it's just got the uniform shine, pebbling, patterning, etc. that fake leather has. I wonder if, like some fake leather I've seen, they basically "use" real leather but grind it all up into powder and then reform/press it. Trying to remember the name of that... bonded leather. That's it. It would explain why when you see this type in vintage stores, you're much more likely to see peeling or tearing than good patinas. Anyone with any sense of leather working can chime in here and fill in a lot more than me I'm sure :). But yeah, that's what it feels like. In short, abrasions seem like they would tear or peel this way before they would add any character of the type you usually see with "real" leather goods.
The cooper you have is I believe drum dyed and chrome tanned. I could be wrong about it, but that would explain the tough patina resistant leather. Mine was just starting to get some minimal surface wear in the usual high points after 2 years worth of construction/yard waste removal (wind flap, collar tip, pocket edge) when I moved it on. It had a nice light brown underneath. They make really good rain coats too, I was caught in the occasional down pour in mine working outside so often with it. But don’t worry about coddling that jacket, use and abuse it!

ausreenactor

Hah! Any lower,

"How you can get paid to receive A2s"

"Obtaining A2s for fun and profit"

First point - you can't.

Second point - It's only a profit if you sell it, then you regret it down the track when you can never replace it.... ain't no fun in that..

Enjoy it, find the next A-2. It's not a collection until you get the second one!