• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome To “The Bargain Basement”

Brent

Still working on putting it all together. Removing the labels, Sno-Seal dubbing, and of course the all important dark red shoelaces. I'll post up some pictures when I'm finished.

I did wear them around the house a little bit when I got them. They're going to be just fine.

Regards,

B-Man2

Hi May
You’re going to like them . No thanks needed that’s what we all try to do here, share information and to help each other out even though there’s a big ass ocean between several of us :D
Don’t forget to post some fit picks once the sweaters arrive . If you like the sweaters tell everyone !!
If you don’t like them, you can still tell everyone ..... but just tell them it was Smithy who told you to buy them :rolleyes:
;)

Last edited:

MaydayWei

Hi May
You’re going to like them . No thanks needed that’s what we all try to do here. To share information and to help each other out even though there’s a big ass ocean between several of us :D
Don’t forget to post some fit picks once the sweaters arrive . If you like the sweaters tell everyone !!
If you don’t like them, you can still tell everyone ..... but just tell them it was Smithy who told you to buy them :rolleyes:
;)

I'm sure I will like them, especially since they're in ecru; I basically live in my ecru Aran knit sweaters. :)
Fit pics, fit pics, fit pics... I must repeat this to myself so I do not forget.
And though I am sure that many of us have already expressed this before, you really are the central pillar of the VLJ community, Burt; surely, we have to give thanks for the countless replies, messages and hours you've dedicated to helping so many of us out.

B-Man2

Mayday.
I’m sincerely humbled by your kind words .
Thank you .
But honestly, all of the people on this little forum are a team and a collective of several years of knowledge and experience. Everyone here has something to contribute and in several instances are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I am with regard to our hobby . In fact, I owe many of them like Grant , Silver Surfer , Mikey, Smithy, Couchy and so many more here and some who have now gone, thanks for what I have learned over the years . They were kind and patient with me while I learned and now I pay it forward to the newer guys , all in the hopes of keeping this forum interesting, active and alive for those who will come after us. So thanks to all of those guys who payed it forward to me and to those of my era.
Cheers

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Hey guys,

As this has been going on, I've been contemplating pulling the trigger on a NIFFI submariner in ecru myself.
But I'm a little hesitant on exactly which size to pick.
Do you guys have any input on the sizing? Does it run big? Do you recommend sizing down?
I'm a relatively slim guy, and prefer my sweaters snug but not too tight (like H&M or ASOS models do :rolleyes: )
Any input would be really appreciated! @Smithy @B-Man2 @London Cabbie

And FYI for anyone thinking of pulling the trigger on an outdoorknitwear (NIFFI) sweater, now might be the time.
Outdoor knitwear is having their pre Black Friday sale: 15% with the code: "EARLYBF15"
My Submariner is a M bit fitted in the body and bit long but the sleeves a tad short. Looks fine under a jacket.
The Norwegian Sub is better quality and the fit is better too sleeves and body better size. They have been washed and don’t shrink.

B-Man2

Hey Guys ....
Here’s another Bargain Basement Comparison review that I think may be of interest to many of you, now that winter and cold weather are upon us . I thought I’d get this review out, to back up the last sweater review of the A-1 Mechanics Sweater.
So before we begin , let me once again emphasize that these reviews are not meant to down grade or bad mouth any top tier makers of the products we discuss here in Bargain Basement . The sole purpose of these comparisons are for the benefit of you guys and trying to find quality items and products
while searching for the lowest and best prices for those items . Ok .. that said , today’s comparisons are made on 3 different makers Battle of Britain Sweaters . First off a bit of clarification on the name BOB sweater . None of the sweaters being reviewed here are actual reproductions of the BOB sweaters that were used in WWII . I did a bit of research on this topic and what I found out was that while several styles and types of sweaters were used during that period , some of them issued but most of them were privately purchased or made by civilian knitters and donated to the RAF pilots and Royal Navy during this period .
The actual name of the issued sweaters used by the RAF pilots before the war in the late 1930s and early 1940s was “ The Frock Sweater” . It was considerably longer than the BOB sweaters sold today and the collar was a stretched out wide open collar about 4 inches long .It was made long in the torso to come down over the cheeks of the ass to give another layer of warmth when flying in an open cockpit back of those early days . The collars were stretched wide open “Frock” type collars.
The reason being is that roll neck and turtle neck collars like we have today would be totally abrasive to the soft skin neck areas of the pilots. If you were a pilot in WWII, particularly in combat , you’d know that your head is constantly on a swivel looking in all directions and behind you and that anything abrasive on your neck would feel like sandpaper in about 10 minutes and would rub your neck raw . Thus the reason for silk scarfs around the pilots necks. So heres a photo of a actual WWII BOB sweater .
307931FE-3682-4B4D-AADB-75D59B7A0815.png

Now just to clarify things Roll Neck and Turtle neck sweaters were used but the pilots had to wrap silk scarfs around their necks to get that silk buffer between their skin and the wool from the sweater. Ok... explanations finished.
Now ... we are going to review 3 BoB / Submariner type sweaters . None of them are made by top tier makers , however in one instance one sweater is priced higher than a few of the top tier makers. All of these sweaters are 100% wool and they are all quality made items . The first sweater is the What Price Glory RAF sweater.
E8871017-54F3-4685-BBEE-1CE21F12045A.jpeg
EBCD7186-5625-45D2-A50B-BE1BA1DF7F88.jpeg

This sweater is the least expensive of the 3 being reviewed . As I said , it’s 100% wool and it’s a bargain at $68.00 US . The sweater is over sized and because the actual knit is a little looser weave it will stretch on you . So you might want to consider ordering one size down . You make the judgement on that .

No 2 sweater is the North Atlantic Submariner and it’s a very good quality piece of kit , however, it a bit pricey at around $230.00 US.
The sweater has a unique knit pattern around the sleeves and the waist , which I guess is supposed to keep out cold air from entering those areas. Unless you are absolutely in love with this sweater , I would suggest you consider one of the other options as this one is a bit pricey.
6588F4B1-3870-4D2F-9670-1F533D6CCF45.jpeg
FD2164BE-0A71-4B51-9290-BDE12B7EC05A.jpeg
So now we are down to the 3rd sweater which is the NIFFI submariner. This sweater is my favorite of the three. It’s a quality well made heavy sweater that is really good value for the money . The price of the NIFFI is about $102.00 US but if you look around you might be able to do better on that price. The knit weave is tight and once again the sweater is a bit over sized, so use your judgement when picking a size.

241C0135-F838-46A3-934A-F39FB4A8357D.jpeg
75DD88A9-D6C4-4CBE-B346-F36D0960C697.jpeg

Ok guys , there you have it . Good quality sweaters , all of them with prices that will work for your wallets . So as always , you can consider one of these or go for the one of the top tier makers sweaters and pay their prices. If some of you have other sweaters or suggestions please post them .
As always.... It’s your money . It’s your call!

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Aah ha. Now I know why the body is a bit longer. The Niffi are one of the official suppliers to the RN. The jumper was designed to be washed and not shrink, I have one and recommend it.
1865EC90-09C7-4842-8896-82C9E440732B.jpeg

Smithy

The actual name of the issued sweaters used by the RAF pilots before the war in the late 1930s and early 1940s was “ The Frock Sweater” .

Might be being pedantic Burt but the actual name is "Frock, White, Aircrew" (Stores Ref 22G/63). Interestingly according to the regulations, they were only authorised to be worn during combat operations so long as they were not visible!

B-Man2

Might be being pedantic Burt but the actual name is "Frock, White, Aircrew" (Stores Ref 22G/63). Interestingly according to the regulations, they were only authorised to be worn during combat operations so long as they were not visible!
Thanks Tim!
Love the part of the regs “ As long as they were not visible “ :D
You can always tell when a Rear Echelon MF writes the regs . Basic lack of experience and operational knowledge. Never been there .... never done that . :D

Smithy

As a lot of photos bear witness, most aircrew on the pointy end didn't give a stuff what the regulations said when it came to how to wear operational clothing, or even what constituted operational clothing ;)

One of the best has to be Tim Vigors who bagged a Heinkel wearing his pyjamas and a dressing gown!

interbak

I just ran across this thread. I searched for the RL rough outs on their site, nothing, however, they’re on sale at Soft Moc in Canada for $99.99 Canadian, which is about $75.00 US with the exchange rate. Any Canadians interested in these boots should check it out while they still have stock!

Last edited: