• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wearing Originals?

SteveN

OK, I know it's been discussed before, but for the sake of posterity I thought I'd bring up the topic again:

Originals: do you wear them or not?

I'm not talking about trying them on, or once in a while, but as your 'main' winter jacket for the season?

It's starting to get cold in the Southern Hemisphere, and I have an *outstanding* M-422A that I bought from a forum member (Peter Graham?, email was lost). This thing is in such good condition, that it could be mistaken for a modern repo. Everything is in perfect order, collar, knits, leather, lining, the works.

Thus the dilemma. After having survived so many years, do you really want to 'risk' such a nice example? I've always been of the opinion that repos are for daily wear; originals should be protected.

Other opinions?

Cheers,
- SteveN

A

Anonymous

I think it depends on the condition. If the jacket. is in good condition, and will not get damaged by wearing why not. Maybe not wearing on a regular basis, but when the occasion or mood hits you.

shanghai joe

SteveN said:
OK, I know it's been discussed before, but for the sake of posterity I thought I'd bring up the topic again:

Originals: do you wear them or not?

I'm not talking about trying them on, or once in a while, but as your 'main' winter jacket for the season?

It's starting to get cold in the Southern Hemisphere, and I have an *outstanding* M-422A that I bought from a forum member (Peter Graham?, email was lost). This thing is in such good condition, that it could be mistaken for a modern repo. Everything is in perfect order, collar, knits, leather, lining, the works.

Thus the dilemma. After having survived so many years, do you really want to 'risk' such a nice example? I've always been of the opinion that repos are for daily wear; originals should be protected.

Other opinions?

Cheers,
- SteveN

Depends on which originals you're talking about.

I'll be careful with A2s especially if there are issues with the lining and colllars.

I only collect A2s and I'l be real careful especially with lining area which attaches to collars.

No, I wouldn't have em as a daily wearer.....

Roughwear

There is never agreement on this subject. I have a GW Doniger for daily wear, but do wear my original A2s. Some which are in near mint condition get little wear. I wear most of my Irvins and B3s, but again with care.

usafwso

Sometimes I do, and only if the jacket is unpatched. Around here jacket weather has pretty much finished for the season...

joeson

I buy my jackets to wear.Unless you have the space to display them,it seems pointless.Put your money into property or precious metals.

greyhound52

I would say wear them but with care. I have 1960 mint G-1 which I wear but not a lot. My nylon jackets I do wear a lot when the weather permits. I don't buy an original with no intent to wear it.

shanghai joe

joeson said:
I buy my jackets to wear.Unless you have the space to display them,it seems pointless.Put your money into property or precious metals.

hey, ever thought of investng in investment grade originals?

Andrew

Tranquility Base said:
Wear them til they drop.

dog.jpg

TankBuster

On occasion with care is my vote. Everyone here is a big boy though, and can make up their own mind. Really I hope everyone else wears the hell out of theirs, so I will have the only nice ones left. :lol:

rotagz

The only ones I don't wear are the ones that have never been worn. Meaning vintage jackets in mint, unworn condition.

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:
On occasion with care is my vote. Everyone here is a big boy though, and can make up their own mind. Really I hope everyone else wears the hell out of theirs, so I will have the only nice ones left. :lol:

As it is you already have some noteworthly jkts!

Peter Graham

SteveN said:
I have an *outstanding* M-422A that I bought from a forum member (Peter Graham?, email was lost). This thing is in such good condition, that it could be mistaken for a modern repo. Everything is in perfect order, collar, knits, leather, lining, the works. - SteveN
Steve, I remember the jacket well, a beautiful Gordon & Ferguson. I traded it to Chris Bennett for an equally nice AN-J-3A. You bought it from Chris. I wear all my originals on a regular basis. Every day. I don't own any repros. I treat them with respect, like not using the leather hanging loops and not working on the car in them or painting, as the vets were fond of doing ! If I ever own a jacket with real historic value it will be different but I can't see the point of owning these things and not using them.