• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wear it or list it???

Flightengineer

I said most. I stand by that comment. I don't know anyone who wears tailored pants above their navel like they did back then and certainly not denim jeans. Also, very few wear suspenders anymore. IKE jackets are also very short for the same reason. They were designed to go with higher waisted uniform pants.

Uniqlo now makes great highwaisted jeans, wide, in the style of workwear of the 40s, with large back pockets. Great to wear with flight jackets.

Technonut2112

I said most. I stand by that comment. I don't know anyone who wears tailored pants above their navel like they did back then and certainly not denim jeans. Also, very few wear suspenders anymore. IKE jackets are also very short for the same reason. They were designed to go with higher waisted uniform pants.

You would be surprised.. There are a few members here, and more at the Fedora Lounge who do. Personally, I have a few vintage 40's suits and more current Bill's Khaki's that sport high waists, and wear them out and about fairly often.. Depends on my mood. I've been a vintage clothing fanatic for many years.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Just because "everyone" is wearing a look doesn't make it acceptable ...........of course some might we quite happy with this look, combine it with Jeggins lower half for the full effect
Plumber_Crack-.jpg

Micawber

Yep, high rise fishtail back cords with decent braces are the order of the day a lot of the time during winter here.

Flightengineer

416452_sub2.jpg

Sold out in US but partly avaliable in EU

Workwear-inspired stitching and pockets. In a roomy, wide cut.
- Part of a collection of progressive essentials created in our Paris atelier by artistic director Christophe Lemaire and a team of international designers.
- High-waisted jeans with a loose, wide fit.
- Leg tapered to the ankle.
- Workwear-inspired stitching and front pocket design with oversized back pockets.
- Sturdy chain stitching and bar tack stitching.
- Subtle coin pocket tucked below the waistband.

Skyhawk

Just because "everyone" is wearing a look doesn't make it acceptable ...........of course some might we quite happy with this look, combine it with Jeggins lower half for the full effect
View attachment 28602
Oh why did you have to post THAT ....LOL :D

High waists.....is anyone else thinking Mom jeans? They are unfortunately making a comeback with the ladies labeled as "boyfriend jeans". I still hate them. They make 80% of girls look fat even when their not.

I think some company got ahold of a ton of deadstock 1980's jeans.....and whalla... a new trend.

a visual aide for those not "in the know":

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

Oh why did you have to post THAT ....LOL :D

High waists.....is anyone else thinking Mom jeans? They are unfortunately making a comeback with the ladies labeled as "boyfriend jeans". I still hate them. They make 80% of girls look fat even when their not.

I think some company got ahold of a ton of deadstock 1980's jeans.....and whalla... a new trend.

a visual aide for those not "in the know":

Everything makes a comeback and it all goes round and round. High end fashion has been pushing roomy coats for a few years now and everyone will be wearing eighties and nineties oversized jackets again in a few years. It'll make a change from the fashion victims walking around in very tight short suits looking like a twenties silent comedian after he climbed out of the duckpond he walked into.

crism1

All my wardrobe pants are high waisted or modern-high-waisted (which is still high but not vintage high). Lots of people ask me were to find them and I get lots of compliments, mostly coming from male though. There's just no game, high waist is universally intergalactily objectively better looking

Ken at Aero Leather

When I first learnt pattern cutting it was drilled into me that long legs and a short body were a far more flattering shape than a long body and short legs
Part of a tailor's art has always been to disguise the latter by the cut of a suit, high waist, to give a longer leg look, shorter body for the same reason
Nothing I've seen in the 50+ years since has made me question these facts
Even in the 60's my "hipster" trousers were higher cut than anyone elses