• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weak resale market?

Officer Dibley

ELC have certainly moved away. What were GW’s original prices anyone ? I can’t remember as they were always beyond me for cost and waiting time...

Micawber

Steve, if you are telling me that Waitrose is the same as ASDA, i’m never letting you talk to my missus ! Lol

What you say can be true but Shawn Ali’s wares are nothing compared to ELC & GW - he is in a different phase of learning - though there are some who have convinced themselves he is as good.
BK are perhaps as good though i’ve never seen one of theirs.
In other words, not all Corn Flakes are made at the same factory just as not all A-2’s are made by the same person with simply a different box. A Mercedes is not the same as a Citroen. If i own a Citroen i might say i’d never buy a Merc’, but would i keep the Citroen if i won the Euro Millions ....? Probably not.

The ethos of VLJ remains what it always has been but the jacket “snobbery” has certainly been stood on its’ head: now some people are all but mocking others for owning expensive jackets . And that seems to have killed conversations about GW & ELC sadly. All the chatter is about cheap jackets.

Indeed but I was waxing lyrical in very broad and general terms about marketing and people's perceptions. Expensive watches, fancy cars or top tier reproduction jackets do not maketh the man but they impact on how others perceive the man. Same applies to goods in general.

So sayeth me, chapter 11, versus 10-12. So Mote It Be.

mulceber

Well, after watching three ELC A-2s get snapped up in just a day, I suspect the resale market for A-2 repros is doing ok. I think the reason we saw them go so quickly is that they were going for less than 2/3 of their retail value. Much higher than that, and most prospective customers will decide they’d rather just spend more and get exactly what they want from the maker.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

And I did my tax return the night before. There were others lining up behind me though. I concur with your point regarding the pricing.

I have never had a Monarch by ELC without the internal pockets. I had dropped weight. First A-2 in a year for me. Right jacket, right price, right time. Thanks to Vic too.

ausreenactor

I bought a pair of skinny trousers yesterday, on sale, by 'accident'. Even after I tried them on. A-2 height is still fine though.

taikonaut

I'm glad it worked out for you.
A middle age man with a dad bod wearing low rise skinny jeans and a short waist A2 that looks like a leather crop top is not much of a fashion statement. I long for the days when skinny jeans goes out of fashion. The 50s to 80s fashion was great for A2 jackets.

Bombing IP

I see retailers are now dropping prices of ELC jackets on ebay by 22% ,he offers a lot of ELC and its all discounted ?.

BIP

B-Man2

I see retailers are now dropping prices of ELC jackets on ebay by 22% ,he offers a lot of ELC and its all discounted ?.

BIP
Maybe..... just maybe.......ELC’s multiple price increases in the last year or so might have something to do with their slow sales.......maybe...

ausreenactor

BIP

Might be time to pounce!