• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weak resale market?

zoomer

The difficulty is finding that person for - say - a 1987 Schott or a US-Authentic with its back lining loose. Odd pieces like that. I'm donating and writing them off rather than having to list them on eBay forever.

I've got other, such as a Gibson & Barnes, that would be much more appealing to a buyer.

Officer Dibley

I am going to move a lot of my NWT Buzz Rickson and At The Front WWII stuff when I get home. With the exchange rate for Aussies in a good shape for selling internationally, the shipping better for overseas buyers and the nearly 3:4 ratio the conditions are set.

To buy and not wear, you are a stronger man than i ! Did you buy with a view to speculating on making money or simply too many jackets and too little time to wear them ?
Cheers, Dave

B-Man2

I see that someone was finally able to sell a few jackets here.
Congrats to CBI.
Still pretty slow in the sales department, I'm hoping its the time of the year and the warm weather that's contributing to the slow sales.
There's still a lot of good deals to be had.

B-Man2

Just supply v demand. Can't remember the last time someone posted a new ELC or GW jacket off the assembly line.
If you go thru with the sale of your boxed GW , yours will be the first in a very long time .

Last edited:

Pilot

My last DD HH A-2 size 46” Poughkeepsie with the very rare rigger tape on the liner... (very rare indeed ... only seen on my jacket... to hide a hole )... “to put the fliers name on “ 10 days old from the production line... I re-sold it for poor 280 Euro shipping to Euro zone incl.
I paid almost 3x this amount 10 days earlier...( all OK... MY learning phase with repro makers).
...see my ex posts on the subject...
A member here bought it after approx. 10 days of “tire kicking” and no real interest...Thx again to this nice and fair buyer.
Statistics here... ( here only...measured on successful sales here within the last 18 months) here show, selling works OK if prices are max 280-300 Euro average... +/- % Euro.( for products from GW, ELC, Aero and Japan scores are higher.. ) regardless of the items quality, brand and characteristics...

Low cost is the motto...( I am not saying low quality....low cost only is the demand...).
Hence this fully explains and supports the general opinion... “weak resale market” evidently... but I would like to add... “price driven”.... Low cost items below the 280 Euro “red zone”.. sell OK...
Its surely and luckily different in other geographical regions and specialized forums...
My experience here...and there... same for a few others ( ex.. and still members).
Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

I haven't moved a jacket here in a long time. I have moved a couple on eBay and I generally don't link the sales/listings here on the VLJ. Have never tried FB jacket pages. Will get settled a pop a few up and see how they go.

Pilot

Who wonders?
Shawn has it sorted out ( congrats!) ..plus others as well within the same range ...all low cost ( but OK quality granted , good service provided ) delights almost 90% of the still present ( buying here) members...
So no wonder that AVI‘s or ELC House branded or all other „side-dish-brands“ or not appreciated ( anymore) brands dont sell...as second hand jackets... When Customer tailored brand new out of the factory A-2‘s..G-1 ......etc.. sell for approx 200+/- Euro... delivered fast and in good manner and order... ( meaning the am delighted ones for 200 Euro+/- ones)
The „Hangar Queens“ are sometimes offered for 100$+++ ./—-on top of the newcomers costs...Who still needs to be convinced..... that they deserve their „Hangar Queen „ status as unsellable at „this price“ ( 300 euro or even above) they... read ... the seller... read the buyers....all and everybody seeks for a „best steal deal“...
The race to the bottom....

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Inadvertently deleted 25 items off my eBay "watching" list of 294 items. I could not recall anything in the list to panic about or try and resave. Then I looked at the ended items (4). It has sat on four ended items for days. Out of near on 300 items on my varied watchlist (car parts, WWII kit, patches, sporting memorabilia, mannequins plus a lot of others), from around the World, nothing had sold?

Has the 'World' stopped spending?

ausreenactor

The 'completed' results indicate that even ELC jackets are unlikely to sell for over US$700 these days.

Agree 100% with our observation. Most are 'new' as you said, with corresponding prices. Other sellers with half decent repros are pricing there jackets at 80% of the new price and not moving them. An ELC A-2 with damaged knits and wear has an asking price of GBP500? Absurd.

John Lever

My max spend on an as new would be 750 gbp.
Used 25 year old classic 600
Bog standard 10 year old 450 gbp.

I know of a very nice Anj4 for sale at 750 gbp. Way too much, more than it cost new in the 1990's

ausreenactor

An ELC A-2 costs 1100 GBP today, so why would 500 GBP be absurd for a used one?

That needs a wrist replacement on top of the excessive wear? Factor in the cost of the replacements and labor then it is a well worn/used A-2. The fact it is still there sitting on eBay after all the relists is what I would contend as proof it is over priced for it's condition.

Greg Gale

Ah, so you're taling about a specific ELC jacket? I'm not sure which one it is, but yeah, if the knits are torn and there is excessive wear (and not patina) then yeah, 500 is too much.