• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weak resale market?

Stony

Also, have found that A-2s sell better, and hold better value than G-1s and M422as. Interesting...

From an "original" standpoint and jackets that are "wearers", I stand by leather navy jackets. They are more user friendly than an A-2, stand up to the test of time longer and there are more of them out there as they've been produced for over 30 years as a military issue jacket.

A-2s are generally more "styling" than navy jackets, but IMO are not as comfortable to wear and not as functional. I'm not going to spend over $1,000 on a repro navy jacket when I can get a WWII one for easily half the price. Of course, I'm talking about a plain one, not one with patches.

They're already broken in, and even with compromised knits, are a better looking jacket and have the patina I'm looking for without waiting years to get that out of a repro.

These plain and original navy jackets are not going into a museum or are going to be the centerpiece of most collections, so wearing them is not hurting their historical value.

Pilot

Happy to buy a WW2 original wearable unmessed leather USN flying jacket for 1000 ++ Euro ( 1200 US$ approx.) in 44” or 46”...
Please help. Thx.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

There are still good deals to find on ebay for USN flight jacket, WW2 to korean war era...

A-2 are hard to find and pricey unless you go for a restoration project A-2.

I've noticed that a lot of top tier second hand A-2's and G1's are getting available on forums here and there and prices are slowly going down...

The market will saturate itself (perhaps it's already), because it's so niche (fewer buyers) and prices are increasing way faster than the average income (weaker buying power).

The lower tier makers are also getting a lot of the market and attention. Wonder how their jackets will do in the second hand market?

Now let's talk about those originals B-10 and B-15 at $$$$, there's a solid return on investment!

D

Stony

I saw two B-10s for sale at the SoS and they were both over $1,000. Neither one was anything to scream about.

Pilot

I saw two B-10s for sale at the SoS and they were both over $1,000. Neither one was anything to scream about.
must have been in a battered condition and a children size...
Very recently , sold two WW2 unmessed B-10’s ( one to a member here) on the spot...and for much more...but a wearable size 40” and 42”.
Good wearable unmessed WWII B-10’s are the most wanted and sought after original WW2 flying jackets nowadays....on the collectors market...
But must be all original...and pit to pit min. 21”-22”.
My humble experience with all original unmessed wearable B-10’s

Last edited:

zoomer

A few years back, used sellers began leaving out certain measurements, such as front (zipper) length.
So maybe it got harder to sell the jackets with too much info given!!

Chevalier

I’m curious if the release of the Catch-22 remake will have a significant effect on the level of interest in A-2 and other flight jackets. It is on a steaming platform, so it might reach a lot of younger people. It is hard to tell what will spark a “trend” these days, though. Also, it is probably better to attract people with a deeper interest in history than those just following a trend, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Officer Dibley

There are still good deals to find on ebay for USN flight jacket, WW2 to korean war era...

A-2 are hard to find and pricey unless you go for a restoration project A-2.

I've noticed that a lot of top tier second hand A-2's and G1's are getting available on forums here and there and prices are slowly going down...

The market will saturate itself (perhaps it's already), because it's so niche (fewer buyers) and prices are increasing way faster than the average income (weaker buying power).

The lower tier makers are also getting a lot of the market and attention. Wonder how their jackets will do in the second hand market?

Now let's talk about those originals B-10 and B-15 at $$$$, there's a solid return on investment!

D

I hear what you are saying but wouldn’t the mahoosive price hikes and (for some makers...) LONG waiting times deter the buyer of new jackets and force/turn them to the second hand market...

Dany McDonald

I hear what you are saying but wouldn’t the mahoosive price hikes and (for some makers...) LONG waiting times deter the buyer of new jackets and force/turn them to the second hand market...

Yes, I guess... But how many of us/them can keep up with the second hand market? Some collections are expanding for sure but for how long?

I am wondering how do you really gauge the level of interest in flight jackets? Forum membership? Second hand market flow? Ebay offering growing or compressing? Ken from Aero could probably answer part of this question, sale wise...

But from my narrow perceptive (I am small player really), I see some very interesting A-2's and USN goat on ebay and Buyee!!!!:) Real and repros....

D

CBI

I do need to chime in on the original Navy jacket thing. There are some AWESOME repros out there but unless one is on odd size, spending top dollar on a G-1 makes no sense to me as originals are so plentiful and selling for much less. For me, I ALWAYS want to wear the real thing if its an option and makes sense to wear.

Southoftheborder

I do need to chime in on the original Navy jacket thing. There are some AWESOME repros out there but unless one is on odd size, spending top dollar on a G-1 makes no sense to me as originals are so plentiful and selling for much less. For me, I ALWAYS want to wear the real thing if its an option and makes sense to wear.

I depends where you are. Very good originals are not so plentiful on my side of the Atlantic and shipping costs and VAT at 20% makes import problematical. Back in the early seventies I had an original G 1 and didn't really know anything about it. It was just a nice vintage jacket to wear as far as I was concerned. But it was in very good condition because it wasn't all that old. Now pre 1969 G1s are mostly old and showing it... That's why I tend to buy repros. I look for nearly new ones going cheap and have bought a lot of good jackets that way including Eastman G1s and A2s.

I've still got one original, a Martin Lane which is in pretty good order. But I don't wear it and will probably sell it. I don't mind the Dynal collar and it's been cleaned so it is very wearable. I just don't like wearing old well worn leather anymore.

Pilot

Quality, Glamour, High end, Top notch... etc always pays off ...or is an hefty profit investment.....in any field or business.... justified or not... debatable... but it does anyway sooner or later...

Last edited:

Pilot

450 to 825 for used clothes ......?
Top notch memorabilia, „Americania.“, Glamour... etc...( made by one of the best of the best.. at least in that time)...according to many here..and elsewhere.....
Bet it will sell within a glimpse ...